OT : Future AAC Bowl Games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT : Future AAC Bowl Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Being critical and spewing some real filthy insults are two completely different things and I saw plenty of the latter from supposed UConn fans. Saying Deleone wasn't doing a very good job with the offensive line is one thing but personal insults? Come on man that's so immature it's not funny and embarrassing to other UConn fans. I don't criticize guys in here for being critical, it's the mean spirited personal insults that get on my nerves, especially when they come from alleged adults aimed at members of the team I follow.

Oh but, as I recall, you did...

I didn't notice anything completely mean-spirited and I personally tried to temper my contempt (didn't always happen, but I'm not sorry for it) by calling the two dismissed individuals, "Coaches" with quotations.

Be that as it may, these two individuals are in the public eye and chose a long time ago to be there. There is a lot that goes along with that, including be second guessed and ridiculed on a professional level. Make no mistake that it can certainly get personal, but I personally paid six figures for my education at UConn. I have personally paid five figures over the years to support my Alma Mater's athletic teams. You're damm right I take the tarnished state of the Program resulting from their mid-seven figure actions (collectively) personally.

The hiring process of these individuals was mean-spirited. IIRC, everyone and their brother was expecting Mark Whipple. For whatever reason, that fell through and UConn chose...not even the second choice!!! UConn made the "safety" pick, and in a panic, so it seemed. Who is going to apologize and blindly defend the 40,000 people going through the turnstiles or the hundreds of thousands (potentially millions) of fans who watch on TV?

Unless you are a blood relative, neither Mr. Pasqualoni, nor, Mr. Deleone need you to take up that effort on their behalf.

Reaction Score
Oh but, as I recall, you did...

I didn't notice anything completely mean-spirited and I personally tried to temper my contempt (didn't always happen, but I'm not sorry for it) by calling the two dismissed individuals, "Coaches" with quotations.

Be that as it may, these two individuals are in the public eye and chose a long time ago to be there. There is a lot that goes along with that, including be second guessed and ridiculed on a professional level. Make no mistake that it can certainly get personal, but I personally paid six figures for my education at UConn. I have personally paid five figures over the years to support my Alma Mater's athletic teams. You're damm right I take the tarnished state of the Program resulting from their mid-seven figure actions (collectively) personally.

The hiring process of these individuals was mean-spirited. IIRC, everyone and their brother was expecting Mark Whipple. For whatever reason, that fell through and UConn chose...not even the second choice!!! UConn made the "safety" pick, and in a panic, so it seemed. Who is going to apologize and blindly defend the 40,000 people going through the turnstiles or the hundreds of thousands (potentially millions) of fans who watch on TV?

Unless you are a blood relative, neither Mr. Pasqualoni, nor, Mr. Deleone need you to take up that effort on their behalf.

Yep. I actually recall weyuo really going out on limb and making huge leaps to rip posters who weren't even criticizing the staff. Someone would state that our OL wasn't up to snuff with years past, and this guy would go nuts about cheap shots.

Reaction Score
...and for the 100th time I supported the coaching staff that UCONN chose and will support the new staff UCONN chose. I'm not a band wagon jumper like some of you. I'm a UConn fan all the way.... supporting the whole team for the long haul.... not just when it's fashionable to.

"Fans" like this destroy a program. If you do not ask, beg, plead, and demand change the coaching staff you supported would further ruin the program.

You think you are being a good fan but really you are being the opposite of that.

Reaction Score
wow this discussion took a left turn.

Well - I'll just add that any chain of command, whatever it may be, will eventually break down, if the orders coming through are either flawed, or not followed, or both.

Full time fans of the football program, are fully capable of making determinations about whether or not a chain of command is working or not to achieve the desired goal of winning games.

As Warde Manuel said a while back at the podium, he did not expect to be at the point we are at now moving forward as recently as the end of last season. I agree. I watched this team perform as they should have against a Pittsburgh team at home, traveling on a short week to us, after a classic letdown scenario, and we stomped all over them, early, but once again failed to really do much late in the game. I watched us beat a Louisville program on the road, ranked, in opposite fashion, coming together late to finish off the game in OT. I watched us fail to get to bowl eligibility once again with a poor effort against Cincy. But there was enough there, to see optimism and progress. There certainly was enough motivation to do well on the upcoming schedule, for all involved.

For all of you that say you knew earlier, at such and such a time (and my personal opinion, is that a vast number of people around here, are swayed by the opinions of a single 'connected' poster that made comments about the Vanderbilt game in 2011)...but if you are such a person that "knew" things would turn out this way earlier, as Warde said.....

Good for you.

As for the AAC bowl lineup - it's actually including some destinations that I wouldn't mind visiting in the cold of the Connecticut winter. Where we end up eventually regarding the intercollegiate landscape, is something that I believe our administration has a full grasp of importance, and reasons why things are the way they are now - which wasn't the case up until very recently in the scheme of things, and that is all I can realistically hope for right now. That they understand, and know the importance of things, and are constantly working toward maintaining relationships, and such things......that's all we can do, until people decide to vote again.

As much as everyone has their reasons this and that, the only reason that we are not in a different conference right now, is because the very small people that actually vote on such things, did not vote in our favor. The work needs to be put in constantly, such that unless things dramatically, adn a true road to a national championship is determined for all 1-A programs.......until then......when such time as a such a vote happens again, the work needs to put in so that the number of people you can count on your fingers that vote - actually vote in our favor.

Other than that - I wouldn't mind going to the Bahamas for a football game.

Reaction Score
Dollar General Bowl Presented by Cash 4 GOLD in Peoria, Illinois

White Castle Bowl in Bowling Green, KY

Stuckey's Bowl in Macon, GA

Reaction Score
I happened to wander into a D3 game this weekend. it was fun, the players gave it all they had, the tailgating (right next to the stadium) was cool, I got a free beer just for chatting with a guy who was sitting next to me in the stands, and it was free to get in. On his way to the locker room the head coach stopped by the tailgate and thanked everyone for coming and supporting his team. And the President of the school tossed a frizz-be with a couple of young kids at the next tailgate. if this becomes a pay-for-play situation, rather than spend 30-50 bucks to go to the Rent, I'll spend zero and head to Trinity or Wesleyan or Coast Guard to get my fix.

I love going to Sacred Heart Univ games for these reasons

Reaction Score
...and for the 100th time I supported the coaching staff that UCONN chose and will support the new staff UCONN chose. I'm not a band wagon jumper like some of you. I'm a UConn fan all the way.... supporting the whole team for the long haul.... not just when it's fashionable to.

So how do you propose to affect change when as a fan you have tickets but you see a coach who appeared to go from high octane in the first qtr to a man who had slumped shoulder in the third qtr. He was at best lethargic and at worst a saboteur with the intentional hiring of his incompetent friend GDL. Look, I was on board with giving him a chance and I admit freely, I did not like this hire. But really, you would blindly just follow whatever your team does and claim because you are blind follower that this makes you a better fan??? Well, I don't mind you loyalty, in fact I appreciate it, but for the rest of us, we know why this change happened - the alumni - the money this represents was screaming for a change. That change could be either the coach or the administration. the administration made the right choice and they bought themselves some time. Lets see how WM fairs with his coaching hire he will have to make it. If it does not work out for him, because his pick is bad, and will not be just me asking for his removal. These are the facts, WIN and you stay! WM admits that. He does NOT expect blind loyalty and neither do I from ANY of my fellow husky fans!

Reaction Score
Dollar General Bowl Presented by Cash 4 GOLD in Peoria, Illinois

White Castle Bowl in Bowling Green, KY

Stuckey's Bowl in Macon, GA

The American Island Bowl presented by Atlantis.;)

Reaction Score
American Athletic Conference Announces Relationships With Four Bowl Games
http://theamerican.org/news/2013/10/10/FB_1010135907.aspx

Commissioner Mike Aresco has announced relationships with four ESPN-owned bowl games for a six-year cycle beginning with the 2014 football season.

>>The American has extended its existing agreements with the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl St. Petersburg in St. Petersburg, Fla., and the BBVA Compass Bowl in Birmingham, Ala. The conference will also annually send a team to either the Bell Helicopter Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas, (in 2014, 2016 and 2018) or the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl in Honolulu, Hawaii (in 2015, 2017 and 2019). This group of bowls will annually select three of the top six eligible teams from The American.

The opponents for the American Athletic Conference representative will come from the Atlantic Coast Conference three times and from Conference USA three times in the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl. The Southeastern Conference will provide the opponents in the BBVA Compass Bowl. The opponents in the Armed Forces Bowl will be Army in 2014 and Big 12 Conference teams in the other two years. The American representative will oppose a Mountain West team in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl.<<

Reaction Score
ralphDrussoAP
2:10pm via TweetDeck
The Bahamas deal with AAC and other group of 5 leagues believe will be announced Oct. 14. Not sure about Miami and Boca. But they're coming

Jimmy_Burch
1:51pm via TypePad
Armed Forces Bowl officials land deal with American Athletic Conference, sources confirm Post original url/19pPp6x

"During the 2014-2018 seasons, the team from The American that plays in Fort Worth would face an opponent from the Big 12 or the Big Ten"

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
More like it is what it is... at least they will be P5 leftovers in a few of them.

These bowls are usually the last bowl in their lineup....so a lot of the time they will not have a team to fill it and it will be an 'at-large' team from around the country. So while it sounds great that we will be plaing an ACC/B12/SEC team...many years it will actually be a leftover MAC team to fill the spot.

Reaction Score
OK - off the top of my head - (this year is no different than years past - AAC champ - BCS. and down the line)

but 2014:

Playoff if champ qualifies:
Miami Bowl (Marlins park)
BBVA Birmingham
Beef O Brady Tampa
Armed Forces (alternating years) - Texas
Hawaii (alternating years)
Bahamas

Am I missing something? I think we need more. It's all very confusing.

Reaction Score
OK - off the top of my head - (this year is no different than years past - AAC champ - BCS. and down the line)

but 2014:

BBVA Birmingham
Beef O Brady Tampa
Bahamas

Maybe Boca Raton?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

but 2014:

BBVA Birmingham
Beef O Brady Tampa
Bahamas

If not playoff (most likely not) then "Access" Bowl for top ranked team from the Group of 5 (more often than not should be from the AAC).

Reaction Score

but 2014:

BBVA Birmingham
Beef O Brady Tampa
Bahamas

We have the Military Bowl too.

Reaction Score
I thought there were more tie-ins. Military bowl in Annapolis correct? Boca Raton I'm not sure, but I think I saw that elsewhere too, and I think there was supposed to be something in San Diego too. Not sure. WE will have what a 12 team league by 2015? Geez, I don't even know. (it would be nice to be in the Big 10 by 2015)

BUt if not - I think we're at 12 programs for 2015. I think they are doing things with alternating years - in fact I'm sure of it - the Hawaii bowl and the armed forces bowl are definitely alternating years.

It will be interesting to see it all laid out, when it's finally completed, and it seems like we're getting closer.

Reaction Score
http://theamerican.org/news/2013/10/10/FB_1010135907.aspx

Beef O' Brady's - St. Petersburgh, FL (2014-2019) (ACC 3x, C-USA 3x)
BBVA Compass - Birmingham, AL (SEC 6x)
Armed Forces - Fort Worth, TX (2014,2016,2018) (Army / Big 12)
Hawaii Bowl - Honolulu (2015,2017,2019) (Mountain West )
Military Bowl - Annapolis, MD (ACC 6x)

Correction - the Miami thing is from the espn article that started this thread. My guess is that the AAC champion is going to Miami against the highest ranked team among the other castaway, peasant conferences, unless it's the college football playoff each year. We'll see.

That leaves the Bahamas, Boca Raton, and Montgomery, AL as three more options, so with those 4 new games and the other 4 - that makes 8 possibilities for a 12 team league from 2015-2019

Reaction Score
http://www.mac-sports.com/News/tabi...nces-the-creation-of-the-boca-raton-bowl.aspx

Cleveland, Ohio – The Mid-American Conference announced today the creation of a newly created bowl game in Boca Raton, Fla. for a six-year period (2014-2019), which will be owned and operated by ESPN. The Boca Raton Bowl will be a pre-Christmas bowl game and will be televised nationally on ESPN or ESPN2. The Boca Raton Bowl will be played at FAU Stadium, an open-air stadium opened in 2011 which seats nearly 30,000 fans on the campus of Florida Atlantic University. The creation of the Boca Raton Bowl is the beginning of a series of planned bowl announcements over the next several weeks and the centerpiece of a joint agreement between several FBS conferences. The MAC will play Conference USA in the Boca Raton Bowl in 2014 and the American Athletic Conference in 2015.

Reaction Score
Well, as we have learned over the past 2 seasons, and likely will learn again this year, it is far better to go to a bowl than to not go to a bowl, even if that bowl is in Detroit...

Reaction Score
This along with forcing the Big 12 to go to 12 teams is the best bet to get the CR wheel rolling again. Without these things happening I fear we will see CR settling down until the Big 12 GOR nears its end

I do not believe that CR is dead yet; but, I do believe it will be on pause until next summer to allow time for whoever becomes Texas' new AD to weigh in as Texas just has too much influence for other pieces to move until they have their say.

Reaction Score
McMurphyESPN
4:47pm via TweetDeck
AAC will announce Thursday new Miami Beach Bowl at Marlins Park for 2014 source told @espn. Expected to play C-USA, MAC, Sun Belt

<sigh>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate