OT - Frontier Internet | The Boneyard

OT - Frontier Internet

Reaction Score
BAsed on a thread search there is some information related to this in prior posts but it is a bit dated.

I currently bundle my cable/phone/internet with Cox. Honestly the service itself is OK but the internet has been excellent. I am sick of the price though and called direct TV and Dish and both have prices that will save me upwards of $120/month. The issue is the internet is through Frontier. The salesperson claims speeds will be better because the phone line is dedicated to me rather than shared. I am not technically savvy in this area and last thing I need is unreliable/slow internet when I have three teenagers connecting multiple devices and using amazon firesticks etc for streaming content.

I guess my question is will there be a big dropoff from cox to frontier?

Does anyone use frontier for TV? THat is another option to get all 3 from Frontier.

Lastly dish is offering satellite internet (Hughes net) as one option on bundle but it is probably 30 bucks more than Frontier. I am totally unfamiliar with this option.

I appreciate any information and note this comes from someone who is not up to date on the latest technologies.

Reaction Score
I went from Frontier bundle to just Cox internet about 3 years ago or when they took over from uverse. Internet sucked balls then. I hear it's gotten a lot better but i doubt it will be as good as Cox.

Frontier is also working with Nokia on something called G fast that will upgrade their existing copper lines to close to fiber optic speeds supposedly. Don't know how far out that is not am I savy enough to know if their claims are based on may reality.

I think comcast plus offering internet in my area in addition to Cox. Is that an option at all in your area? I may look to see if my info on comcast being in my area is accurate.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
BAsed on a thread search there is some information related to this in prior posts but it is a bit dated.

I currently bundle my cable/phone/internet with Cox. Honestly the service itself is OK but the internet has been excellent. I am sick of the price though and called direct TV and Dish and both have prices that will save me upwards of $120/month. The issue is the internet is through Frontier. The salesperson claims speeds will be better because the phone line is dedicated to me rather than shared. I am not technically savvy in this area and last thing I need is unreliable/slow internet when I have three teenagers connecting multiple devices and using amazon firesticks etc for streaming content.

Does anyone use frontier for TV? THat is another option to get all 3 from Frontier.

Lastly dish is offering satellite internet (Hughes net) as one option on bundle but it is probably 30 bucks more than Frontier. I am totally unfamiliar with this option.

I appreciate any information and note this comes from someone who is not up to date on the latest technologies.

My issue with Frontier is that they don't follow through with rebates and the quality of their service, stinks. They promised 18 mps and I received 5 mps to 8 mps at most. That is okay if you are only surfing the web but not good for streaming from Netflix or Amazon.

See what deal Cox gives for just the internet and tell them you are cord cutting. They will want to keep some of your business than losing you all together. Threaten them with Frontier if that doesn't work.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Frontier's internet sucks. Cox's internet is brutal but it's light years better than Frontier.

Frontier's TV is decent to just watch, their On Demand interface is the worst thing you've ever seen in your life. I can't describe how bad it is - you have to witness.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Frontier internet is horrible, I live in Boston and have xfinity and get 250+ down by parents have Frontier get 5 down when they are supposed to get 15

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ask to speak to Cox's Customer Loyalty department. I believe that's where my wife always ends up when she renogotiates our contract to be close to what we were currently paying. It usually takes 12 people before you get there but if you ask the first person you speak to they'll send you there right away. Tell them you are thinking of switching and want to pay close to what you already pay or one of the discounted bundles you keep getting offered in the mail (I know we get about 2 a month).

Hope that helps

Reaction Score
Funny you are posting this. I just switched from Frontier to Cox bundle yesterday. Reason is the terrible service and promises not kept by Frontier. There product is fine, but they tell me over the phone my cost will be one thing and the bill always comes in much higher. After multiple requests to fix the issue I had enough. Back to Cox with a much better deal price wise and more services offered. Won't last forever, but I had enough of Frontier.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Ask to speak to Cox's Customer Loyalty department.

I made the call recently and they didn't seem to want to deal. The best they offered was a reduction of about 12 bucks.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
Frontier is awful. For 2 years, we were being billed twice and never knew it. They were sending a 2nd bill to an unknown address. No, we did not pay the 2nd bill.
We went to Cox internet 6 months ago and it is leap sand bounds better.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have the Dish and Frontier bundle because that's all I could get in my area it's ~fine~. However through some snaffu I've been able to set up an online account. Also, one time my internet completely stopped working so I had to do a hard reboot and it hasn't hooked up to my smart TV since. Frontier is in the G5 of internet providers for sure.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I made the call recently and they didn't seem to want to deal. The best they offered was a reduction of about 12 bucks.
Cox has some awful costumer service. I should amend my previous post. I could get frontier/dish or Cox. When I called to tell them I was moving they wanted me to pay a disconnect fee, the remainder of my contract at my old apartment and pay to have it set up at the house I bought plus buy new equipment even though I owned my box and router. It was going to a completely unexpected $3,000 which I certainly did not have to spare after buying a house. I was shocked they couldn't just transfer the service. I gave the ole "fine I'll just switch carriers." I was expecting the fees at least partly waved and maybe a lower bill but they pretty much told me "bye, Felicia." They how I ended up with frontier/dish

Reaction Score
I appreciate the feedback. This was what I was worried about. I have asked around today and heard frontier internet is awful. I absolutely hate cox but not sure I will do
Better price wise at this point and at least I know what I am getting. Ugh.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I will say that the Cox technicians that came when I had internet speed issues were very competent and complete. Came on time, as well.

Reaction Score
I have Frontier (it's either that or Spectrum where I am), and I'm very happy with the TV service (DVR, On Demand menu is hideous but they do have everything on there you'll ever need, and Netflix is built in which is nice), but the internet is awful. It works but it's slow...

Anyone have any experience with Spectrum? I heard the internet is good, but the TV lacks (no total DVR, no NBAtv channel which is big for me, and the boxes look like VCRs). May switch though bc of the internet and better price...

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

They are lying. DSL (uverse, Centurylink, and othe telco based ISPs) is far inferior to cable (Cox and Comcast).

Lastly, do not even consider Hughes net. It is only worth a damn if you have no other options.

Reaction Score
I had ATT phone and internet (Uverse) before Frontier took over. It was very good but not amazing. And it was pretty cheap. Frontier ruined it and made it unusable. My mom kept her Frontier service and it just isn't great.

I went to Cablevision for phone and internet and the speeds are blazing. I still use DIRECTV because of the NFL package or I would probably do TV there also.

Reaction Score
Frontier Service at its best.
  • In January 2015 we decide to cancel Frontier land line. They never disconnect it and assure us that they just have to get out to the telephone pole.
  • In April 2015 we decide we still want the land line and call to cancel our disconnection. They say they never had us on the list to disconnect.
  • August of 2016, AT&T modem craps out. After a week of working with tech "support" to implement a 3rd party modem I cave and say "yes" to a service call and a Frontier modem. Tech installs all new equipment and the internet comes back up, but the phone won't work. Tech calls and CS rep says we cancelled the land line in January 2015.
All that said, we frequently have three to four devices streaming at a time and have no issues. I just hope I never have to call them again.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Right after the AT&T-Frontier take over my parents didn't have Internet for two weeks. There were a slew of Frontier linesmen handing out keychains at the Rent during a football game. I think that's the closest I've ever come to getting arrested.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom