OT: French Open: In res media | The Boneyard

OT: French Open: In res media

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Some unwelcome news on the men's side, as Roger and Rafa are not playing because of injuries. Tsonga withdrew from a match , also hurting. Also some recognizable names have announced early that they will not play in Rio, not because of Zika (they say), but because of schedule conflicts. Playing would get in the way of US Open preparation. As usual only one American male is left for the 2nd week, but John Isner is already down 2 sets to #2 Andy Murray, so guess how that will end. Besides Murray, the principal heavyweights are Novak
and Stan Wawrinka.
Now Novak has been running away with everything for years, BUT he has never won the French, Stan is the defending champ, and Andy beat Novak in the Italian Open a couple of weeks ago, on the same red clay as here.
So we have some suspense.

Things are more promising on the women's side for you patriots. I'll start with Shelby Rogers. Who? Yes, that is right, for she ranks #108 but is a house afire as she is in the round of 16.
Hard-smacking Madison Keys has done likewise.
Now, we expect Serena is still coasting along, and she won her most recent match is straight sets, though a stubborn opponent would not yield until down 8-10 in the 2nd set tie-breaker.
Some of Serena's toughest foes are already gone, like Victoria Azaranka and Angel Kerber, the woman who won the last Aussie. The #2 is Agnes Radwanska, who has never won a major and can't match Serena's power.

So as not to upset her mojo. I humbly leave Venus for last. After victory in set 1 in a tie-breaker vs. a local favorite, my sentimental favorite then promptly won only 1 game is the second. As I am hanging my head, knowing how often Venus loses 3 setters, she finds a reserve and triumphs 6-0. Holy Cow!
Since Venus has not been in the round of 16 since 2000, I imagine she is happy (me too), but she has a big test next against a rising star Swiss Timea Bacsinszky, about 11 am EST tomorrow, either on the Tennis Channel or NBC.

Happy viewing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I hate clay, it's so dirty... advantage to no one, they both must play on it. When is Serena's next match?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I hate clay, it's so dirty... advantage to no one, they both must play on it. When is Serena's next match?

No way to know. Although scheduled about 12:30 EST, following Venus' match on the same court, there's been no play at all for rain delay, and rain may be problematic all day.

Reaction Score
UPDATE: Tennis channel says all matches canceled today.

Weird coincidence. Here in Connecticut we've been getting drenched all morning, and over in Paris, RG's matches were cancelled for reasons of "getting drenched all day" :D

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Tuesday's schedule is up, so long as the rain gods and goddesses permit. Neither Venus, Serena nor Madison is first up, and they are on 3 different courts. They could be all playing about the same time. 7:30? Nine am? Who knows?

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Intermittent rain, no matches completed yet. Novak down a set, getting ready for set 2 after rain delay.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Not much today and even less settled. Whacha doin' at 5 am? All 3 of our ladies vying for the quarters are on court Wednesday at the same time. Bummer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Good Afternoon Wire... any updates

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Serena wins in 3 sets. the first 2 were close. the last one was not. Vintage Serena. Kiki Bertans continues her amazing run thru the field taking out #8 Swiss star Bacsinszky. Novak rolls over Berdych in 3 sets. Thiem and Goffin - 2 great stories of up and coming players - played 4 sets with Thiem winning. He will jump into the top 10 with his victory. I think Goffin will be just outside - at 11 or 12 now.

Semis are now set. Djokavic vs. Thiem. Murray vs. Wawrinka. Williams vs. Bertens, and Stosur vs. Muguruza...

Several top players voiced loud and critical opinions of the French Open organizers - Fed, Halep and Radwanska that I know of. Having players play while it was raining on the wet and slippery clay was the main issue. I'm not sure who else complained.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think she needs to give it up, Ive been saying it for almost 5yrs now... but hey if she think she has it, go for it!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks... down a set... 1-1 in the 2nd

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I think she needs to give it up, Ive been saying it for almost 5yrs now... but hey if she think she has it, go for it!

Daddy, Venus in so many words wants her fans to forget about Venus as champ, not that she's putting anything less than her best at these majors. In a few short days she turns 36, but still exults being on the court and winning matches. That she made the round of 16 after a 6 year gap I know she feels great about. Consider that for this moment this old lady is one of the 16 best players in the world: then think of all who wish it could be they. And she did win 2 tournaments earlier this year.
People like Johnny Unitas and Joe Montana lacked a firm enough sense of self to realize their time was over and wound up letting their last teams down.
Venus is not embarrassing herself and, in this sport of individuals, is not messing things up for others.
Let's let her be.

P.S. Without saying that Serena will win no more majors, I will posit this. Other heavyweights like Azaranka, Kerber, Kivitiva, and Sharapova have not shown the consistency that Serena has over the years. But based on the last 2 years, my sense is that Gabine
will be the new face of tennis.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sharapova's doping suspension is announced as TWO YEARS! Holy Rod-the-Rocket!

Reaction Score
Sharapova's doping suspension is announced as TWO YEARS! Holy Rod-the-Rocket!
Heard on the radio this morning that it was reduced from 4 years for being 'unintentional'. She says she's appealing based on having been prescribed this medication for years for a non-athletic-related health condition, well before it was banned, and not being made aware it was banned. Her story sounds hokey to me. Some docs say you never prescribe this stuff over an extended (multi-year) period. Probably should've gotten the full 4 years, but the 2 years will probably put her well over the hill anyway.

Djoker and others under suspicion for PEDs too, but that seems to have quietly gone away.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
seems that it hasnt helped her at all, she needs to suspend her subscriber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads