OT: Fran Mcaffery is a big baby | The Boneyard

OT: Fran Mcaffery is a big baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don't agree with him not shaking hands. But the entire play by #1 on ND was so bush as to be eye crossing. As coach I would have shaken hands with the ND team and coach and had a long talk with #1 during the handshake. As the team leader you need to show your guys how to behave and use it as a teaching moment.

Reaction Score
Perhaps much ado about nothing... but... No. Dak. player has hand wrapped around Iowa player and when Iowa player pushes him away he flops and Iowa player gets called for technical. Iowa's Jok on bench at end of game to protect him from injuries. No. Dak. stealing ball with 1-2 seconds left to score. If UConn player was walking ball down the court and opposing player grabbed it with a second or 2 on clock most would be irritated if not angry. If it was Lou getting mugged and having to be put on the bench to protect her we'd be angry. I'm not saying McCaffery was right but he had a right to be angry. Lots of coaches might not have shaken hands because they might have been tossed by that point!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That stunt North Dakota pulled at the end of the game was bush league. Skipping handshakes was not the most mature way to handle it.

However, a handshake is a sign of respect. And North Dakota did not show respect.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That stunt North Dakota pulled at the end of the game was bush league. Skipping handshakes was not the most mature way to handle it.

However, a handshake is a sign of respect. And North Dakota did not show respect.
Totally agree. At the time of the bush league play by North Dakota, what other options did Iowa have? Call the coach after the game and say "shame"?

He pulled his players off the court and refused to do the respectful thing and shake hands with the other team. But as you said - the other team was disrespectful in stripping the player of the ball and trying to score with 3 seconds left.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
If you know Fran's approach to basketball, you would also know that if HIS team played the way NoDak did, he would bench people, and not for a few minutes. Disrespecting the game gets him upset big time. NoDak played hard (to their credit) but also crossed the line into chippy play on several occaisions. I watched this game top to bottom and thought I was watching a UFC fight night. The officials decided to "let it go." That's on them.

As for the ridiculous "guh-game, guh-game, guh game" conga line bit, it is a made for TV scene that drips insincerity and, in this case, could have erupted into something much worse than a minor snub. Fran was right, even though he might have had some better options (?). Hard for him to ponder those while mad as hell.

Reaction Score
Dumb. I was thinking one his players got decked or something after the buzzer to warrant that kind of response.

Reaction Score

Agree on all counts. Bad sportsmanship by North Dakota, but McCaffery might have handled it better. I wonder in the ND coach had some words for his player after the game.

Reaction Score
N. Dakota should suspend, for a few weeks, both the player who stole the ball and the one who chose to shoot it (He should have just dropped it.)

But, since the coach indicated that the basket should be counted, the N, Dakota AD should do the same for the coach.

Reaction Score
Iowa's McCaffery explains why he told team to walk off court

Has his team refuse to shake hands after win over much ado about nothing.

Not sure why everyone is being so rough on McCaffrey. I think what he did is pretty smart.The ND coach didn't have the guts to pull his player off the court after the first stunt so he pulled a second stunt with 2 seconds to go. At that point, if I had been the Iowa coach, I would have been concerned about another provocative act by the same ND player in the handshake line or a retaliatory act by my own team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom