OT: Former Villanova coach Rollie Massimino dies at 82 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Former Villanova coach Rollie Massimino dies at 82

Reaction Score
RIP Rollie.

This thread brings back memories of all the great Big East Coaches in the 80's. Rollie, Louie, JC, John Thompson, Pitino,Nosepicker, PJ, Jim O'Brien, etc. The coaches alone were worth the price of admission.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wow. Rip. A little piece of your youth dies when you read this. Instantly brought back memories of Murray Williams going to coast to coast to stick a layup at the buzzer to beat Nova at the Civic Center.
He stepped on the sideline.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At what point is is okay to say that I didn't think he was nearly as good a coach as the other big-time Big East coaches and that he really ran kind of a loose ship everywhere he went?

Calhoun's emergence hurt Rollie's career. But I liked his quote when ribbed about his wardrobe, "I spend more on my suits than anyone, I just wrinkle easier."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At what point is is okay to say that I didn't think he was nearly as good a coach as the other big-time Big East coaches and that he really ran kind of a loose ship everywhere he went?

Probably tomorrow?

It's true, but he still brought some great memories to Villanova fans, and fans of college basketball in general. So I'm saddened to see him go and wish his family and friends the best.

Reaction Score

Probably tomorrow?
Rollie was a conservative defensive coach. When he left Nova for UNLV the students starting calling UNLV "the walking rebels." While Rollie was well liked at Villanova in some ways, no tears were shed when he left and was replaced by Bucky Beaver.

Reaction Score
To be fair, he coached a great NCAA final but the opposition coach did NOT!!! GT stayed in a zone and 2 Connecticut high schoolers had career games.Calhoun would have beaten BOTH teams handily.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(.In the modern era of the tournament (1984) no zone team has won the Big One using a zone D. Exception is SYR, but they had Carmelo.

Reaction Score

Probably tomorrow?

I don't know how he caught lightning in a bottle for that one title, but I agree. I never thought he was that great of a coach. And, I just don't like the idea of a basketball coach being that fat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom