OT: For tennis fans | The Boneyard

OT: For tennis fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Like most of us, my following of tennis falls off after the US Open. However a tiny blurb in today's paper told me that the Pan-Pacific Tournament is going on in Tokyo and, Holy Billie Jean King!,
Venus ousted Azaranka in straight sets in round 2.
It is so that Vika was not feeling good, yet she has never beat Venus(0-3).
Now play is over for Wednesday, given Tokyo's vast time difference, and Venus is through her 3rd rounder vs. Romania's Halep in 3 sets. We are not used to Venus getting through 3 rounds successfully in her old age:) , but she reports feeling strong and without backaches.

I'm happy and have lots of tolerance , if Meyers feels differently.

Here's a highlight of the match against Victoria.

http://www.wtatennis.com/videos/article/3469480/title/tokyo-williams-vs-azarenka

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Venus comes through to the semis with a 3 hour+plus victory in 3 sets over the Canadian upstart.
Be still my heart.

She gets Kvitova(she of the pot belly)next.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I have not yet looked for the results of Venus' middle-of-the-night semi-final. It is being rebroadcast(Tennis Channel) today at noon and at 8 pm. Still, I can't know for sure that Venus' match will be the 1st of the semis televised. She WAS on first in yesterday's rebroadcast of the quarters. Happy viewing.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sad to say Venus did not make the finals. Against the 2011 Wimbledon champ, they were as equal as can be, except in the 3rd set tiebreaker.
Venus was steady in set one, while Kvitova was a tad off form, tending to hit long. She has a reputation for inconsistency, having not done that much after her Slam victory. However she righted herself in set 2, often hitting deep down-the-middle and caused enough problems for Venus to carry a break into a 6-3 win, the same score Venus had in set one.
When they got to the tiebreaker, poor Venus just faded.
Still. overall Venus had a good tournament. She served well throughout, and nowadays, with our
lowered expectations, she excelled in this tournament, but it is tempting to conclude that a
match a day all week was a bit much toward the end.
Apparently her back has stopped giving her problems and generally entered the matches feeling good. Her skill is still superb(she actually tied her own record with a 130mph serve) We love you, girl.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
racking up a few dollars... cause I dont see another title in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads