OT: Floyd Mayweather confirms MMA try | The Boneyard

OT: Floyd Mayweather confirms MMA try

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This doesn't make much sense, the money generating opponents are much bigger than him and have been fighting MMA for much longer. If he tries to fight one of them he will surely get beat up.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It'll never come to fruition, the man is way out there, but he is no dummy. He's just trying to play with the media and the public as whole. He loves attention and will do/say almost anything so he could get another headline.

Floyd would get seriously hurt in an octagon

Reaction Score
Never know. If he works out some sort of deal with UFC about getting a percentage of the total revenues he may do it. Because you knowwwwwwwwwww people will buy it just to see him get tossed around. I can't see him doing it unless that's the case though because he wipes his butt with whatever he'll make from his cut of the actual fight.

Reaction Score
It'll never come to fruition, the man is way out there, but he is no dummy. He's just trying to play with the media and the public as whole. He loves attention and will do/say almost anything so he could get another headline.

Floyd would get seriously hurt in an octagon

They will protect him from being seriously injured. Once he gets taken to the mat he will either tap out or there will be quick stoppage

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
They will protect him from being seriously injured. Once he gets taken to the mat he will either tap out or there will be quick stoppage
Maybe, but if I was his opponent, I'd personally keep him upright. Remember Floyd was a points fighter in boxing, he has little to no power behind his punches, plus the man in his 40's... I just don't see it happening

Reaction Score
Maybe, but if I was his opponent, I'd personally keep him upright. Remember Floyd was a points fighter in boxing, he has little to no power behind his punches, plus the man in his 40's... I just don't see it happening

That would certainly be an . . . interesting strategy.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Floyd would handpick a striker/stand-up fighter.

I mean we've seen what happened when James Toney was taken down immediately by Couture.

polycom

Reaction Score

This is a sure fire way to get your head punched off. A "points" boxer still has knock out power compared to UFC guys considering boxing fought at a much closer distance.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
This is a sure fire way to get your head punched off. A "points" boxer still has knock out power compared to UFC guys considering boxing fought at a much closer distance.
Not when you can incorporate knees, elbows, and kicks. A boxer has no business in an octagon, unless he is properly trained in multiple disciplines. But keep drinking the Floyd Kool-Aid, I'm sure you won't be the only one.

polycom

Reaction Score
Not when you can incorporate knees, elbows, and kicks. A boxer has no business in an octagon, unless he is properly trained in multiple disciplines. But keep drinking the Floyd Kool-Aid, I'm sure you won't be the only one.

What are you babbling about? Floyd would get destroyed in the octagon but standing up would not be the way to beat Floyd.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
What are you babbling about? Floyd would get destroyed in the octagon but standing up would not be the way to beat Floyd.
When did I ever say it was the best way? I was originally responding to another post, who claimed he'd tap out once taken to the floor. "Personally" I'd enjoy keeping him upright, never said it was the optimal strategy, but a potential opponant would keep him upright to inflict more damage. Plus no one is afraid of Maywearthers punching power, they'd go right at him.

Reaction Score

He is a much better puncher than you think. Did you ever wonder why those heavier punchers never just rushed him....take 3 of his shots to land 1 of their best? Because he hit hard enough to give them pause. Plus, even at his age, he is a better pucher than 95% of the UFC.

I don't see any way this fight happens. If he wants a big payday, he would simply fight Manny or Connor again in a Boxing match. Though, people under estimate just how much he loves to fight.

polycom

Reaction Score
When did I ever say it was the best way? I was originally responding to another post, who claimed he'd tap out once taken to the floor. "Personally" I'd enjoy keeping him upright, never said it was the optimal strategy, but a potential opponant would keep him upright to inflict more damage. Plus no one is afraid of Maywearthers punching power, they'd go right at him.

Yes because so many boxers, who are on average much better punchers than UFC fighters have walked down Mayweather. You talk like you are really informed.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Yes because so many boxers, who are on average much better punchers than UFC fighters have walked down Mayweather. You talk like you are really informed.
Ok guy, this is a stupid argument, but back the the 40+ year old Mayweather by all means, he's a modern day Tyson I tell ya

Plus who's punching? This is UFC pal

polycom

Reaction Score
Ok guy, this is a stupid argument, but back the the 40+ year old Mayweather by all means, he's a modern day Tyson I tell ya

Plus who's punching? This is UFC pal

So now people don't punch in the UFC? Next you're going to say Floyd would lose to Rousey.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
So now people don't punch in the UFC? Next you're going to say Floyd would lose to Rousey.
They do other stuff as we well in the UFC besides punching, let's not get cute here:rolleyes:... But by all means read up on it, I'm sure there's a Wikipedia page.

You were trying compare a boxer walking down Floyd with an MMA fighter... Apples & Oranges

Reaction Score
Never know. If he works out some sort of deal with UFC about getting a percentage of the total revenues he may do it. Because you knowwwwwwwwwww people will buy it just to see him get tossed around. I can't see him doing it unless that's the case though because he wipes his butt with whatever he'll make from his cut of the actual fight.

I'd be extremely surprised if there's any way the UFC coughs up enough of a guarantee and enough % on the gate/buys to get Floyd in the octagon. They can't even cut a deal with Conor, who is already the only real draw they have left.

Reaction Score
A CM Punk would make sense for Floyd, but this crossover stuff is so silly.

If he fights any UFC fighter with more than two fights, he's going to get a hole punched through his face.

Reaction Score
Anyone giving Floyd a shot at the UFC level of MMA having a shot of beating anyone needs to see a doctor.

Last time for the slow ones:

Boxing and MMA are different sports. Just like football and rugby are different sports. Sure - same general idea - run a funny shaped ball from one end of the field to the other while guys try to stop you by tackling you. In MMA and boxing, you try to get the other guy to quit, knock him out or beat him on points.

But that's about where it ends. Movement is different. Rings are different. Spacing is different. Hand placement, strategy, physical tools necessary to succeed, point scoring - all of it.

Floyd fought Conor a little different by walking into him and making him punch himself out - because Conor sucks at pacing himself in an MMA fight, let alone a boxing match. Conor caught one uppercut, but otherwise gassed out and got his face boxed off. Because he's not a boxer. And he clearly doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

Watch Floyd go into an octagon, get his ankle picked and get his face smashed in with elbows. Might survive a round if he's lucky. It'll be a fun freak show, fun to watch Floyd get murdered, but that's about the only appeal.

Reaction Score
UFC fans are so out of touch with punching power and surgical accuracy of boxers. The lower 1/2 of boxing pros are heavier punchers than the top ufc fighters.

Floyd punches hard enough even at 40 the difference is he can punch you within an inch of wherever he wants. UFC fighters probably struggle to keep it within 4 inches

Reaction Score
Floyd's punching accuracy would mean nothing in an octagon. Less than nothing. It really means nothing when you're on your back getting your nose stuffed into your brain.

Like Conor's movement meant nothing in a boxing ring.

Reaction Score
Anyone giving Floyd a shot at the UFC level of MMA having a shot of beating anyone needs to see a doctor.

Last time for the slow ones:

Boxing and MMA are different sports. Just like football and rugby are different sports. Sure - same general idea - run a funny shaped ball from one end of the field to the other while guys try to stop you by tackling you. In MMA and boxing, you try to get the other guy to quit, knock him out or beat him on points.

But that's about where it ends. Movement is different. Rings are different. Spacing is different. Hand placement, strategy, physical tools necessary to succeed, point scoring - all of it.

Floyd fought Conor a little different by walking into him and making him punch himself out - because Conor sucks at pacing himself in an MMA fight, let alone a boxing match. Conor caught one uppercut, but otherwise gassed out and got his face boxed off. Because he's not a boxer. And he clearly doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

Watch Floyd go into an octagon, get his ankle picked and get his face smashed in with elbows. Might survive a round if he's lucky. It'll be a fun freak show, fun to watch Floyd get murdered, but that's about the only appeal.

I don't think any one thinks Floyd would have any chance. However if a UFC fighter wants to be dumb and keep it standing he is giving Floyd the best chance of catching him with a shot and pulling off the upset of a lifetime

Reaction Score
Who knows? Maybe Mayweather is egomaniacal enough to think he could do this.
To the poster who said the strategy should be to keep him upright - wow.
To the poster who said Floyd would handpick a puncher/tomato can, that sounds correct.
Really, any competent UFC fighter should be able to take Mayweather out relatively quickly.
I know the boxing guys are passionate about Floyd, but his skill set was perfect for the rules of boxing. I saw the guy turn his head on his opponent multiple times in one fight I watched. In UFC, that'll cost you a shin to the chin or a takedown.
Floyd is, no doubt, a world-class puncher, but not much else about his game would translate.
would love to see it, however. I'd be cheering for the guy. Would take some balls to put himself out there like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom