OT: Florida Coaching Search | The Boneyard

OT: Florida Coaching Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
247 reporting that Xavier's Chris Mack and Dayton's Archie Miller are the top candidates. Also mentioned Ed Cooley as a sleeper candidate.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Shaka kicking himself??...Florida job >>> Texas job

That would have been an open and shut head coaching search if he were still available

Reaction Score
247 reporting that Xavier's Chris Mack and Dayton's Archie Miller are the top candidates. Also mentioned Ed Cooley as a sleeper candidate.
Mack and Archie would be great. Cooley? I think Florida could do a lot better, but it is a football school so who knows.

Reaction Score
Texas is a much better job than Florida, more money, better recruiting area, and no pressure.
^This. Florida has more recent success, Texas is a better job.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I don't think Shaka was drawn by the no pressure environment of Texas. He went with the first real big time job that came his way (sorry NC State you don't count). Florida has enjoyed so much recent success while Texas, well you know what Rick Barnes did while he was there...nothinggg

Billy D left behind a great program with great tradition and if you want to call Texas a better recruiting hot bed than Florida then it isn't by a wide margin. Both are predominantly football schools but Florida actually cares about the success of their bball team

Reaction Score
I don't think Shaka was drawn by the no pressure environment of Texas. He went with the first real big time job that came his way (sorry NC State you don't count). Florida has enjoyed so much recent success while Texas, well you know what Rick Barnes did while he was there...nothinggg

Billy D left behind a great program with great tradition and if you want to call Texas a better recruiting hot bed than Florida then it isn't by a wide margin. Both are predominantly football schools but Florida actually cares about the success of their bball team

Texas cares enough about their basketball team to fire a guy who'd missed one NCAA tournament in the last 17 years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Texas cares enough about their basketball team to fire a guy who'd missed one NCAA tournament in the last 17 years.

Or you could say they waited 17 years to can a guy who never showed any indication that he could coach a team to a title.

He had 1 Final Four appearance -- 12 years ago.

If you're Texas, you should want better than that. I'm surprised it took them so long to do something about it.

Also, while both UF and UT are football schools, I do think the UF alumni care a lot more about basketball than UT alumni do. None of this means UF is a better job; in fact, I don't think it is. UT has everything UF does, plus more money.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
From a strictly college bball perspective, IMHO Florida is in a better situation. I just think Smart's style of play would have been a greater fit for Florida.

Now for those who were targeting Shaka as the next UConn coach before KO came around...do you think the Texas job is better than the UConn job?

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if Cooley got offered the job. He's been a D1 head coach for 10 years and hasn't won a single NCAA tourney game.

Well you should read the thread on Florida coaching on FriarTalk. They actually believe that Ed Cooley was offered the Pistons job last year and he turned them down.

Reaction Score
Texas resources are at the top of college athletics. Texas is a better job in a better BB league.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Shaka kicking himself??...Florida job >>> Texas job

That would have been an open and shut head coaching search if he were still available
Nah i would take Big 12 over SEC anyday for bball.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
From a strictly college bball perspective, IMHO Florida is in a better situation. I just think Smart's style of play would have been a greater fit for Florida.

Now for those who were targeting Shaka as the next UConn coach before KO came around...do you think the Texas job is better than the UConn job?
Do you think grocery store soda is better than coke? Idk

Reaction Score

I would much rather coach Texas than UCONN unless we land in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I would much rather coach Texas than UCONN unless we land in the B1G.
Was gonna say the same thing. Yeah, UConn is better than Texas in terms of pedigree, but having better resources and a better conference unfortunately trumps that in today's college landscape.

UConn in the B1G, though? No question it's a better job.

Reaction Score
Was gonna say the same thing. Yeah, UConn is better than Texas in terms of pedigree, but having better resources and a better conference unfortunately trumps that in today's college landscape.

UConn in the B1G, though? No question it's a better job.
Prior to the last two rounds of CR(Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville), when we were still in the best basketball conference in America, UConn was a destination job. At that time, there were only a handful of jobs that were better.

Reaction Score

There is no debate about Florida and Texas, check any listing of coaching jobs and you will find Texas in the top 10 and Florida not.

Texas is a different animal when it comes to college athletics. Recent success means nothing, UConn is not in the same realm as UNC as a job but we have had more recent success.

And yes, Texas is better job than UConn, Florida is not.

Reaction Score
Well you should read the thread on Florida coaching on FriarTalk. They actually believe that Ed Cooley was offered the Pistons job last year and he turned them down.
They also think they are a relevant basketball program, it is a fantasy world

Reaction Score
Oh good lord. So that guy actually thinks that Ed Cooley was option #1, and Stan Van Gundy was option #2. Got it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Providence actually has a forum? You're kidding...now I know where to turn to feel good about myself.

Reaction Score

Must have been an assistant coaching job.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Now?

Yes.

A few years ago, no.

And Smart likely would have been our replacement for Calhoun had things broken differently.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
And Smart likely would have been our replacement for Calhoun had things broken differently.

And the headline today would read, "Shaka Smart to leave Uconn for the Texas job". I'm only half kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom