OT: First Jerry West, now Willie Mays | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: First Jerry West, now Willie Mays

Reaction Score
5' 10". 170lbs. Wow.

Almost Rudy dimensions.
That's what made MLB so appealing, them looking normal (albeit with amazing skills) and thinking you can grow up to be like a Mays. Clemente. Aaron.... Mays and Drysdale seemed to be on a number of B&W TV shows produced out in Cali during the 60s.
Always think of the times playing Strat-A-Matic Baseball when we lose a notable player from this era. Great. great player. RIP.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Golden era in baseball. Mays bigger than life. Yanks had the best teams but the NL overall had more great players. We'd see that every summer when the all star game(s) came around. Mays, Aaron, Banks, Matthews, Pinson, Frank Robinson, Clemente, Cepeda, Koufax, Drysdale Marichal . Had to admit they could put on a show! A lot of sandlot games were played with them in mind. "The Boys of Summer." Summer nights. Good times!

Reaction Score
Golden era in baseball. Mays bigger than life. Yanks had the best teams but the NL overall had more great players. We'd see that every summer when the all star game(s) came around. Mays, Aaron, Banks, Matthews, Pinson, Frank Robinson, Clemente, Cepeda, Koufax, Drysdale Marichal . Had to admit they could put on a show! A lot of sandlot games were played with them in mind. "The Boys of Summer." Summer nights. Good times!
“The Boys of Summer” is a great read, I haven’t read it in a while but time to reread,

The All Star games were different back then since we didn’t see the other league very much due to limited telecasts and well before inter league games. As a kid, I enjoyed seeing all the players in their team colors.

Reaction Score
That's what made MLB so appealing, them looking normal (albeit with amazing skills) and thinking you can grow up to be like a Mays. Clemente. Aaron.... Mays and Drysdale seemed to be on a number of B&W TV shows produced out in Cali during the 60s.
Always think of the times playing Strat-A-Matic Baseball when we lose a notable player from this era. Great. great player. RIP.
I was addicted to Strat O Matic in the mid 60’s thru early 70’s. Once tried to play the entire 162 game schedule. Can still name so many team rosters as a result. Loved the Orioles. Still hate the Mets.

Reaction Score
I was addicted to Strat O Matic in the mid 60’s thru early 70’s. Once tried to play the entire 162 game schedule. Can still name so many team rosters as a result. Loved the Orioles. Still hate the Mets.
I had the set from the 1966 season. Braves fan here.

Reaction Score
Mays is still the greatest all around player in the history of the game! Man played with joy and a smile every day, closest comp is a young Ken Griffey Jr who played the same.
I hate to say this, but to me, it goes Barry Bonds all timer followed by Mike Trout.

LOL. Let flame war being! Micky Mantle No. 7 forever!

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
24 time all star and missed two seasons while serving his country
I read of his 24 All-star appearances. Willie always batted first. Why? Because he was Willie Mays.

Reaction Score
My favorite Mays quote
“ Baseball is a simple game , they throw I hit , they hit it I catch it “

Reaction Score
I wasn’t a Giant Fan
But I did see them play against the Phillies in the 1950’s
I had college friends who were still Giant fan.
The First year Mets had a Willie Mays noght and I attended
it was SRO. Plus I got to witness the worse team in baseball history
what a night

Reaction Score
I hate to say this, but to me, it goes Barry Bonds all timer followed by Mike Trout.

LOL. Let flame war being! Micky Mantle No. 7 forever!
Bonds pre steroids was close but not even close to Mays defensively and Bonds played a much easier position than center field.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom