OT FiOS or Xfinity? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT FiOS or Xfinity?

Reaction Score
You're right...having the choice between 2 equally consumer unfriendly monoliths really is a choice. Each of which has a predetermined package..80% of which I don't want..

How about for your next car you pick between a red toyota camry or a blue nissan altima...nothing else. And your shirts can be black or white

You obviously work for one of the monoliths..lol
But did you really laugh out loud?

Reaction Score
$156 including fees, taxes, etc.?
CL,

The package is 119.99 for 24 months.
Equipment charges are as follows:
1st dvr box , $2.68
Additional boxes:
Full box with x1 remote, access to on demand
and dvr capability-9.95
Smaller box-Access to channels only, 5.99
Xfjnity internet gateway (modem + roster) ) $11

CT taxes and fees-Roughly $30
Mass-$22

I can help you when ready to order. Let me know if you need help.

Thanks

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL,

The package is 119.99 for 24 months.
Equipment charges are as follows:
1st dvr box , $2.68
Additional boxes:
Full box with x1 remote, access to on demand
and dvr capability-9.95
Smaller box-Access to channels only, 5.99
Xfjnity internet gateway (modem + roster) ) $11

CT taxes and fees-Roughly $30
Mass-$22

I can help you when ready to order. Let me know if you need help.

Thanks
Definitely will. I'm seriously thinking about it. FYI, I'm in NJ, in a Comcast coverage area.
Feel free to PM me on it.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Definitely will. I'm seriously thinking about it. FYI, I'm in NJ, in a Comcast coverage area.
Feel free to PM me on it.

Got free installation too

CL82

Reaction Score
Got free installation too
It’s definitely a better deal than what I have now, but I’m also considering just cutting the cable and be done. From my perspective at least as long as I can uConn games online I’m good to go. But as I think about it, if you had a Netflix and some kind of ESPN in CBS Sports package, you are pretty close in cost.

Reaction Score
You do have options, but don't like them. You can go to Walmart or one of their competitors. Your choice...or you can start an internet company, and create competition.

Not sure how Walmart gets fiber or cable to my house...care to expand? I'm fairly sure that internet is a regulated industry and other cable providers are prohibited from just starting wherever they want....and that's why there is only 1 cable provider per market and no competition...

Here is your monolith.....
As another school year begins, millions of low-income students and families are getting ready to start the year off with Comcast’s Internet Essentials program. Since its launch in 2011, the program has now connected more than six million low-income Americans – from more than one and a half million households – to high-speed Internet at home, giving them the digital tools they need to succeed and cross the digital divide. For less than $10 a month, low-income families can access the power of the Internet in their homes, buy a new computer for less than $150, and access free digital literacy training in-person or online through the program.

I'm also guessing that you know that by law cable companies are required to give discounted access to low income folks...did you forget that piece too..

Lifeline is a government program established to make monthly telephone service OR monthly Internet service more affordable for qualifying households. This program must be renewed on an annual basis by eligible households in order to continue to receive Lifeline credits. The Lifeline Program is provided by both the Federal and State governments....

So, is it safe to assume you work for Comcast? At some point cellular will become powerful enough to be a competitor...but not yet

But did you really laugh out loud?
More like a smirk..

Reaction Score
Not sure how Walmart gets fiber or cable to my house...care to expand? I'm fairly sure that internet is a regulated industry and other cable providers are prohibited from just starting wherever they want....and that's why there is only 1 cable provider per market and no competition...

I'm also guessing that you know that by law cable companies are required to give discounted access to low income folks...did you forget that piece too..

Lifeline is a government program established to make monthly telephone service OR monthly Internet service more affordable for qualifying households. This program must be renewed on an annual basis by eligible households in order to continue to receive Lifeline credits. The Lifeline Program is provided by both the Federal and State governments....

So, is it safe to assume you work for Comcast? At some point cellular will become powerful enough to be a competitor...but not yet

More like a smirk..
Senior and low income discounts are based on each Franchise Agreement. Most do NOT have them, and the one's that do typically offer 10% discount on only basic TV. Lifeline is separate from discounts.
Who I work for has no relevance. Please do not sit there like I work for Greedy Corporate America while you spend 100 hours a week giving sandwiches to the needy.

Reaction Score

More like a smirk..
I used to work in Community Affairs for TCI. Lifeline is either or. Phone OR internet. There is one Cable provider per franchise. You still have 2 dish companies, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Firestick, Youtube TV among others, Internet? There are several providers in almost every market in the US. Century Link, Verizon, Etc, Etc....tell us your metro area.

There are 17 Internet Options in New Jersey
  • CenturyLink. Available in New Jersey. DSL. 10Mbps.
  • Xfinity. Available in New Jersey. Cable. 100Mbps.
  • Spectrum. Available in New Jersey. Cable. 50Mbps.
  • RCN. Available in New Jersey. Fiber. 1000Mbps. User Rating (7)

Reaction Score
I’m talking about internet access. Not Tv. There are now other tv options because of Hulu etc .

There are usually 2 high speed choices. I live in Sarasota fl. I can’t even get fiber at my house.

Please don’t tell me DSL is a viable option. It’s disingenuous.

My point is that there a not a lot of choices for broadband contrary to what u said. There are at most 2. Your cable provider and probably 1 fiber option. That’s not 17 options.

Reaction Score
All 10 Broadband Service Providers in Sarasota, FL
Provider Max Download Broadband Type
Viasat
30 Mbps Satellite
Exede 25 Mbps Satellite
Xfinity from Comcast 2,000 Mbps Cable and Television
Frontier 30 Mbps Fiber, DSL, Copper and Television
6 more rows

CL82

Reaction Score
I used to work in Community Affairs for TCI. Lifeline is either or. Phone OR internet. There is one Cable provider per franchise. You still have 2 dish companies, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Firestick, Youtube TV among others, Internet? There are several providers in almost every market in the US. Century Link, Verizon, Etc, Etc....tell us your metro area.

There are 17 Internet Options in New Jersey
  • CenturyLink. Available in New Jersey. DSL. 10Mbps.
  • Xfinity. Available in New Jersey. Cable. 100Mbps.
  • Spectrum. Available in New Jersey. Cable. 50Mbps.
  • RCN. Available in New Jersey. Fiber. 1000Mbps. User Rating (7)
Verizon FIOS?

Reaction Score
The Walmart reference is simple...you can buy groceries there or one a few other places....many other firms could start a grocery chain, until they do you do not have competition.
There are 10 broadband providers in Sarasota...you or anyone else with the means could start one up. Or you can use one of the 10, or complain about the "monolith".

CL82

Reaction Score
I dunno, what city. NJ is a big state.
It's there in North Jersey at least and probably down south as well. I originally read your post as saying that there were only 4 NJ carriers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's there in North Jersey at least and probably down south as well. I originally read your post as saying that there were only 4 NJ couriers.
Oh I see, point is there are providers everywhere. There are 17 listed, but my list was truncated.

Reaction Score
The Walmart reference is simple...you can buy groceries there or one a few other places....many other firms could start a grocery chain, until they do you do not have competition.
There are 10 broadband providers in Sarasota...you or anyone else with the means could start one up. Or you can use one of the 10, or complain about the "monolith".
No one can start a cable company anywhere they want. It is against the law.

Here is your viasat option. Stop making stuff up
upload_2018-8-21_21-6-21.png

12 mbps. Really. Is It comparable to 150 mbps. Yes there is another way but it is archaic. I’ll get that when you drive a yugo 50 miles to work every day. Yes it is a car. Why don’t u drive one

In my area I have one and only one option for high speed Internet. 12 mbps or 30 mbps by today’s stds is nothing. So stop staying i have alternative. I get it. U are invested in cable or telecom

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good grief people. Cable and ISP access is unfortunately often regulated at the municipal level. There are towns who strike a deal with a single provider and give them a monopoly. Others encourage competition as mine does. It varies widely by town and city. Fortunately, 5G is going to put an end to that nonsense. It will be fantastic in rural areas as well, once it reaches them.

@tentoes4rings I'm curious about the Xfi pods. There are almost no consumer reviews out there. When I try to buy, Comcast website says "we see you are a Netflix customer, call us". Um...no, I'm not ordering stuff on the phone. I want to do it online. I can ask the installer on Friday, but I'm not fully sure I trust the answers I get.

Reaction Score
It is. We just had 3 pages of a thread where some contest there is no competition and here we are a few days later and someone is torn because they cannot decide between companies. Hmmmmmmm.
Yeah I know, it's started again. I showed someone 10 broadband providers and they said "There is no competition".

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah I know, it's started again. I showed someone 10 broadband providers and they said "There is no competition".

Because that is isolated to that community. Try Shrewsbury, MA and see what you get. It's regulated locally at the municipal level. Some communities will allow competition, some won't. In some cases they are remote and rural, and access is expensive and lousy. So Sarasota is irrelevant to anyone who isn't in Sarasota. It's not reflective of any other location.

Reaction Score

Hey, I can be as stubborn as you....There is NO community with 17 residential broadband providers as you claimed...If you want to consider 10 megabit as competition....that's up to you.. I've never lived anywhere with more than 2 residential broadband providers...I have houses in areas with only 1. Sorry, IMO having a choice between 2 monoliths isn't much choice...again..when you want to commute to work with a yogo...I'll pay for your 10megatbit internt...

Reaction Score
Hey, I can be as stubborn as you....There is NO community with 17 residential broadband providers as you claimed...If you want to consider 10 megabit as competition....that's up to you.. I've never lived anywhere with more than 2 residential broadband providers...I have houses in areas with only 1. Sorry, IMO having a choice between 2 monoliths isn't much choice...again..when you want to commute to work with a yogo...I'll pay for your 10megatbit internt...
OK, so the you have NOT filed a franchise agreement in Sarasota?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom