OT FiOS or Xfinity? | The Boneyard

OT FiOS or Xfinity?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My two year lock in to FiOS has expired. I'm a free agent. My setup is that I have phone, the top cable tv plan, 75Mbs internet, a multi-room DVR and two additional HD boxes. My bill, with discounts from work, is a ridiculous $200 or so. I'd like to bump internet to the 150 Mbs plan.

Comcast seems to be cheaper, in part because I can buy my own cable modem/router. They also charge less for the box and DVR rentals. The 400 Mbs internet plan, top tv package, still comes in well under Fios from what I can see. But the router/modem is around $350. I could rent the gateway for $11. Even including that, it's still running what seems to be almost $100 a month less.

Am I missing something here? Anybody making these decisions lately?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
My two year lock in to FiOS has expired. I'm a free agent. My setup is that I have phone, the top cable tv plan, 75Mbs internet, a multi-room DVR and two additional HD boxes. My bill, with discounts from work, is a ridiculous $200 or so. I'd like to bump internet to the 150 Mbs plan.

Comcast seems to be cheaper, in part because I can buy my own cable modem/router. They also charge less for the box and DVR rentals. The 400 Mbs internet plan, top tv package, still comes in well under Fios from what I can see. But the router/modem is around $350. I could rent the gateway for $11. Even including that, it's still running what seems to be almost $100 a month less.

Not sure what your employer discount is but that seems about right to me. It is pretty much what I just got though one step lower on tv package (No HBO) but includes NETFLIX, main box plus two others all with HD and DVR's, highest (400) speed internet, phone and most importantly gteed price for two years but can leave anytime without penalty. Entire bill $229 month.
Funny but i inquired on say monday got a quote not nearly as good as hoped. Called back the next day and got an entirely different quote and it was considerably better. Seems like they have independent reps who are marketing different packages. I could not get the first quote in writing so it seems that the quote is kind of a hit or miss thing. I would say you have done well.
This price ($229) was where my old one was headed (with a $25 increase and a two year lock with penalty for early out, no netflix, slower but decent internet speed (250) phone and only one full services box and two lesser non HD boxes. And I had no DVR or would have been $10 more a month on main box only. I rent the modem.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Don't know but if you make the change let me know how it is and what the cost is. I'm kind of done with Verizon as well.

Reaction Score

You can buy your own equipment for FIOS as well. About $100-$150 for the Gigabit gateway.
*EDIT* Amazon link not working, search AC1750 Verizon Gateway.

In my experience (not the top TV plan, but a more moderate selection), Comcast was $10-$15 cheaper a month. But I've had more problems with Comcast over the years than Verizon recently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I got Fios to insteal a line directly into the house (From the box outside) so that I could use my own modem. That saved me, I think like 15 bucks a month? And my router is better than theirs. Install was like 90 bucks i think.I got 100 Mbs up and down at 20 bucks a month. Thats it. I bought a streaming device for 200 bucks. So 300 up front to get everything I needed. And then monthly payments of 20 bucks a month. that was back in October of 2017.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You can buy your own equipment for FIOS as well. About $100-$150 for the Gigabit gateway.
*EDIT* Amazon link not working, search AC1750 Verizon Gateway.

In my experience (not the top TV plan, but a more moderate selection), Comcast was $10-$15 cheaper a month. But I've had more problems with Comcast over the years than Verizon recently.

You can buy the FiOS router, but it is neutered. The FiOS internet, no tv experience is fine, because can you turn it into a glorified modem. But when you have TV it connects to the cable boxes. That means that you can do very little in terms of expanding your wifi coverage unless you buy the expensive stuff designed to work with that router, from Verizon.

Comcast doesn't have that issue. It requires a compatible modem, and gives you a list of third party providers, but from there you can set up anything you want. Much greater control.

I think I am switching. I can get a huge speed increase, and even if I rent their gateway, it's almost $100 a month cheaper than FiOS. Plus free Netflix I'm paying for now.

Reaction Score
You can buy the FiOS router, but it is neutered. The FiOS internet, no tv experience is fine, because can you turn it into a glorified modem. But when you have TV it connects to the cable boxes. That means that you can do very little in terms of expanding your wifi coverage unless you buy the expensive stuff designed to work with that router, from Verizon.

Comcast doesn't have that issue. It requires a compatible modem, and gives you a list of third party providers, but from there you can set up anything you want. Much greater control.

I think I am switching. I can get a huge speed increase, and even if I rent their gateway, it's almost $100 a month cheaper than FiOS. Plus free Netflix I'm paying for now.

Not quite following. Neutered in what way? I've got FIOS gigabit fiber and TV for $120 a month (including all fees) and bought my own gateway for $107 (the $120 includes renting 1 HD settop box for $12).
Do you need Wifi expanders for your house? And they don't work well with the Verizon gateway?

I did also get free Netflix from Verizon for 1 year as part of our package.

A similar package from Comcast was about $10 cheaper, but the internet was slower.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not quite following. Neutered in what way? I've got FIOS gigabit fiber and TV for $120 a month (including all fees) and bought my own gateway for $107 (the $120 includes renting 1 HD settop box for $12).
Do you need Wifi expanders for your house? And they don't work well with the Verizon gateway?

I did also get free Netflix from Verizon for 1 year as part of our package.

A similar package from Comcast was about $10 cheaper, but the internet was slower.

Yes, I need wifi expanders, and the Quantum Gateway doesn't work with most. They also disable the USB port, so I can't add storage directly to the network.

My 2 year "package" is over, so the deals are long gone and they aren't offering me anything to stay. It sucks that they play the game this way, but that's how it is. My bill to up my internet to 150MBs and keep everything else the same is over $250 a month, not including fees.

Reaction Score
Yes, I need wifi expanders, and the Quantum Gateway doesn't work with most. They also disable the USB port, so I can't add storage directly to the network.

My 2 year "package" is over, so the deals are long gone and they aren't offering me anything to stay. It sucks that they play the game this way, but that's how it is. My bill to up my internet to 150MBs and keep everything else the same is over $250 a month, not including fees.

Did you call and ask for a new package rate, especially with the Comcast package quoted? Sometimes this works (since you do live in an area with at least 1 competitor ahem).

Reaction Score
Funny.
It is. We just had 3 pages of a thread where some contest there is no competition and here we are a few days later and someone is torn because they cannot decide between companies. Hmmmmmmm.

Reaction Score
It is. We just had 3 pages of a thread where some contest there is no competition and here we are a few days later and someone is torn because they cannot decide between companies. Hmmmmmmm.

1) One anecdote doesn't disprove actual data or speak for other regions of the area/country.
2) The impetus for this thread is that the price from his provider is too high and that they're unwilling to lower their prices due to any pressure from competition, which was the point of the other thread.
3) See this article that came out today talking about the same thing: ISPs say they can’t expand broadband unless gov’t gives them more money, which notes that many Americans don't have access to speeds above 25 mbps in general.

Reaction Score
1) One anecdote doesn't disprove actual data or speak for other regions of the area/country.
2) The impetus for this thread is that the price from his provider is too high and that they're unwilling to lower their prices due to any pressure from competition, which was the point of the other thread.
3) See this article that came out today talking about the same thing: ISPs say they can’t expand broadband unless gov’t gives them more money, which notes that many Americans don't have access to speeds above 25 mbps in general.
Sounds like there is a good opportunity to start up a telco in the woods of Wyoming.

Reaction Score

I’m in sales for Comcast Hawk, please inbox me if you haven’t ordered already. I’ll see if there’s anything else I can do for you. A Signature Triple Play with your own modem and 3 boxes should be roughly 170-175 for 24 months.

Reaction Score
I’m in sales for Comcast Hawk, please inbox me if you haven’t ordered already. I’ll see if there’s anything else I can do for you. A Signature Triple Play with your own modem and 3 boxes should be roughly 170-175 for 24 months.
That would include at least a couple premiums and a lot of sports.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Thanks tentoes, I already ordered. It was $156 a month for signature Triple Play (400 MBs) with X1 Gateway rental a DVR and 2 boxes. Comes with Netflix and Starz, two things I currently pay for. So that's minus about $20. Can't beat it really. I even looked up cord cutting and couldn't touch that.

Decided to get the X1 gateway because it looks pretty solid and the price on 3 XFi pods is pretty reasonable. Hoping to finally get rid of the powerline set up in my basement.

Reaction Score
I heard there is no competition for broadband.

You're right...having the choice between 2 equally consumer unfriendly monoliths really is a choice. Each of which has a predetermined package..80% of which I don't want..

How about for your next car you pick between a red toyota camry or a blue nissan altima...nothing else. And your shirts can be black or white

You obviously work for one of the monoliths..lol

Reaction Score
You're right...having the choice between 2 equally consumer unfriendly monoliths really is a choice. Each of which has a predetermined package..80% of which I don't want..

How about for your next car you pick between a red toyota camry or a blue nissan altima...nothing else. And your shirts can be black or white

You obviously work for one of the monoliths..lol
You do have options, but don't like them. You can go to Walmart or one of their competitors. Your choice...or you can start an internet company, and create competition.

Reaction Score
Thanks tentoes, I already ordered. It was $156 a month for signature Triple Play (400 MBs) with X1 Gateway rental a DVR and 2 boxes. Comes with Netflix and Starz, two things I currently pay for. So that's minus about $20. Can't beat it really. I even looked up cord cutting and couldn't touch that.

Decided to get the X1 gateway because it looks pretty solid and the price on 3 XFi pods is pretty reasonable. Hoping to finally get rid of the powerline set up in my basement.
That’s a great package Hawk, by far the most popular one offered. You will love the X1. That package has all the important miscellaneous sports channels that UConn appears on like ESPN U, CBS Sports etc.. Wish I knew beforehand, I could have helped you maybe get a free installation or something, hopefully you did get that. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
Here is your monolith..........
As another school year begins, millions of low-income students and families are getting ready to start the year off with Comcast’s Internet Essentials program. Since its launch in 2011, the program has now connected more than six million low-income Americans – from more than one and a half million households – to high-speed Internet at home, giving them the digital tools they need to succeed and cross the digital divide. For less than $10 a month, low-income families can access the power of the Internet in their homes, buy a new computer for less than $150, and access free digital literacy training in-person or online through the program.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

$156 including fees, taxes, etc.?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom