OT: FIFA elections | The Boneyard

OT: FIFA elections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am seeing a lot of news domination about these elections, with comments of corruption. I know FIFA is huge worldwide but does anyone have the Cliff Notes on the importance of these elections and why it almost mirrors Country's Presedential elections?

I mean Prince Ali vs Blatter just sounds intriguing. But what the hell is this corruption topic thing?

Reaction Score
Until they changed the rules a few years ago, a 24 person committee made up of members form various countries voted on who would host the world cup. The recent charges brought by the US showed that essentially Qatar spent $5 million buying the votes needed to host the World Cup. Similar trail with the Russia vote.

The election is a big deal because Blatter has been in power for 21 years and many think he has overseen the culture of corruption. Many would argue if you were the CEO of a company that had this type of corruption, you would be fired or have to step down. Blatter doesn't seem to care and says he can't keep track of what all these members are doing.

The vote just went to a runoff which mean he only needs a simple majority so he will win and likely not much will change.

Reaction Score
The craziest thing about this whole investigation is that the snitch, Chuck Blazer, is just as dirty as Blatter.

images

Yeah I've been researching this, and this guy is the epitomy of a 'fat rat'. He looks like he couldn't even kick a soccer ball. I noted he got busted for Mafia type charges on a much higher scale, but will only be fined, basically because he is cooperating.

I found this gem: "He flew around the world in the first-class cabin, lived in an $18,000-a-month apartment high above the glitziest stretch of New York’s Fifth Avenue, and relaxed in a luxury condo in the Bahamas — on soccer’s dime."

Even the US Department of Justice is involved in this mess. Amazing how I'm reading this went on for decades with impunity. Sad because in one year they are recording 2 billion dollars of profits. I now have a better understanding and understand with that much money corruption is inevitable, but it appears to so massive that its beyond gangster style. More importantly there has been 2 decades of no oversight. Its just fascinating.

Do you think the USA is getting involved because they were scorned (World Cup hosting) or US companies were bitchin about bribes paid, kick backs, etc.?

Reaction Score
Do you think the USA is getting involved because they were scorned (World Cup hosting) or US companies were bitchin about bribes paid, kick backs, etc.?

I don't think WC hosting is the issue. US were clear favorites to win the 2026 bid b/c CONCACAF appeared to be the next region in line to host. That's probably out the window now if nothing changes with FIFA.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
this corruption has been going on for years., everyone knew but didnt do anything bc the game has been terrific... now someone snitched, some people got arrested, and corporations are bailing so they dont get involved... funny thing is that when millions of dollars are exchanged illegally people get arrested, but when whole towns are destroyed, people kicked out of their homes, people killed, people become actual slaves, no body goes to jail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom