OT- Federer | The Boneyard

OT- Federer

Reaction Score
Yes, very impressive but Murray was hurt, Djoker too and Rafa didn't play any grass tourneys previously

He is unreal and give him credit for focusing here and skipping the clay circuit even though I think it was a cheap move

2-3 years ago I thought he was done and would never get passed Djoker or Murray and he certainly proved that wrong. He only won 2 since 2010 and none since 2012 and now 2 in 2017

Guy is unreal. Just won a record 8th Wimbledon after not dropping a single set the whole tournament. He turns 36 in a couple of weeks.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Yes, very impressive but Murray was hurt, Djoker too and Rafa didn't play any grass tourneys previously

He is unreal and give him credit for focusing here and skipping the clay circuit even though I think it was a cheap move

2-3 years ago I thought he was done and would never get passed Djoker or Murray and he certainly proved that wrong. He only won 2 since 2010 and none since 2012 and now 2 in 2017
A cheap move?? The man is going to be 36 next month.
lol "a cheap move"
The man can do whatever he wants, how on earth is it a cheap move?

That darn Roger Federer, how dare he rest for a major in order to be healthy for his best tournament. What a cheater.

Reaction Score
Yes, play the French, at least for the fans who rooted for you for years

A cheap move?? The man is going to be 36 next month.
lol "a cheap move"
The man can do whatever he wants, how on earth is it a cheap move?

That darn Roger Federer, how dare he rest for a major in order to be healthy for his best tournament. What a cheater.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Yes, play the French, at least for the fans who rooted for you for years
As if Roger Federer, of all people, has not given enough for the tennis fans of the world. We are fortunate enough that he is still playing at this age, let alone winning majors.
I'm sure anyone who is a fan of Federer feels that winning Wimbledon makes the decision to skip the French worth it.
He doesn't have a contractual obligation to play the French Open.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

A win is a win. Personally, I'll never consider anyone the GOAT unless they've won multiple times on each surface. Borg was close, winning several French Open's and Wimbledon's, but he couldn't win the US Open.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I just think he's one of the greatest athletes ever.

He was done in terms of ever winning another major and now...this?

Remarkable story - one of the greatest comeback stories and it will be one of them until Serena has a baby and then comes back and wins three majors while feeding the kid between sets.

Reaction Score
Federer would have to be considered the GOAT right now based on GS wins. But I don't think he is the best player ever. He compiled a bunch of GS wins in a dead period after Pete, Andre, etc and before the emergence of the other 3 of the big 4 (Rafa, Djoker, Murray)

Without going through all I think Djoker, Rafa and Pete playing their A game would beat Fed's A game

A win is a win. Personally, I'll never consider anyone the GOAT unless they've won multiple times on each surface. Borg was close, winning several French Open's and Wimbledon's, but he couldn't win the US Open.

Reaction Score
Roger Federer has both the game and the carriage of a true champion. Excellence, determination, and grace define him. A champion for the ages. Much respect for this guy.

Reaction Score
Federer would have to be considered the GOAT right now based on GS wins. But I don't think he is the best player ever. He compiled a bunch of GS wins in a dead period after Pete, Andre, etc and before the emergence of the other 3 of the big 4 (Rafa, Djoker, Murray)

Without going through all I think Djoker, Rafa and Pete playing their A game would beat Fed's A game
Give me a break, the depth in men's tennis may not have been great during this time period but Federer has had to deal with Nadal and Djokovic in their primes, Murray isn't too bad either. Throw in guys like Safin and Roddick who were tough to deal with. Also, Federer is the second best clay court player in the world and he would have 4 more French Opens if it wasn't for Rafa. Trying to take away from Feds greatness by claiming he didn't have tough competition is a really weak argument.

Reaction Score
Since 2010 Djoker has 11 GSs, Rafa 9 and Fed 4. Murray 3.

Djoker and Rafa dominated Fed.

Fed is a compiler like Kareem, no one anywhere lists Kareem as the best player ever even though he has the points lead

In their absolute prime I'd take Djoker, Pete, Rafa and possibly even Edberg ahead of him

He's a great and classy champion

Give me a break, the depth in men's tennis may not have been great during this time period but Federer has had to deal with Nadal and Djokovic in their primes, Murray isn't too bad either. Throw in guys like Safin and Roddick who were tough to deal with. Also, Federer is the second best clay court player in the world and he would have 4 more French Opens if it wasn't for Rafa. Trying to take away from Feds greatness by claiming he didn't have tough competition is a really weak argument.

Reaction Score
Since 2010 Djoker has 11 GSs, Rafa 9 and Fed 4. Murray 3.

Djoker and Rafa dominated Fed.

Fed is a compiler like Kareem, no one anywhere lists Kareem as the best player ever even though he has the points lead

In their absolute prime I'd take Djoker, Pete, Rafa and possibly even Edberg ahead of him

He's a great and classy champion
Add this to your list of idiotic sports takes.

Shocker, Federer hasn't won as many majors since he turned 30, I totally forgot that's when most great tennis players win most of their titles.

Reaction Score
Federer is a huge compiler, most of his GS wins were in a dead period with no consistent top competitors

If he played his whole career basically against an equivalent big 4 he'd be lucky to have 7-8 GS like Andre

Djoker and Rafa prime much better than him

2017 has great helped his legacy so far

I said he would be considered the GOAT, but he's closer to Kareem than MJ

Add this to your list of idiotic sports takes.

Shocker, Federer hasn't won as many majors since he turned 30, I totally forgot that's when most great tennis players win most of their titles.

Reaction Score
The one thing Fed has over Rafa, and Joker, is that in his prime, he pretty much never lost to scrubs. Rafa especially, has lost some headscratchers over the years. Take those losses away, and he might be ahead of Fed already. When Fed lost, there was usually a legend on the other side of the net. This year is a perfect example. For various reasons, the other three all lost to scrubs, thus Fed escaped having to play them, but to his credit, Fed beat the scrubs he faced. Fed has also benefited from largely staying healthy for most of his career. It helps when you pretty much never have to sit out a major, or go into one battling serious injuries.

Reaction Score
He wasn't a compiler. He was the best player in the world regardless of how you view the competition at the time. A compiler is someone like Craig Biggio who played forever and eventually had the numbers to be considered great even though he wasn't one of the best. You don't compile Grand Slams, you win them. That's ridiculous.

I also feel dumb for responding to your obvious bait but I decided to say something anyway.

Reaction Score
Call it whatever you want

He has the most GSs, but he's not the greatest player ever just like no one says Kareem is better than MJ for example

He wasn't a compiler. He was the best player in the world regardless of how you view the competition at the time. A compiler is someone like Craig Biggio who played forever and eventually had the numbers to be considered great even though he wasn't one of the best. You don't compile Grand Slams, you win them. That's ridiculous.

I also feel dumb for responding to your obvious bait but I decided to say something anyway.

Reaction Score
Not sure what my crazy view is?

He has the most GS wins now, the majority of his wins were against much inferior competition than the other big 4 or when the other big 4 were just entering their prime.

My point is in their prime I think Djoker, Rafa and Pete are better players, just like in his prime Tiger is better than Jack

Anyone surprised JSM has a unique, negative and jaundiced view on this?

Reaction Score
Call it whatever you want

He has the most GSs, but he's not the greatest player ever just like no one says Kareem is better than MJ for example

Except for the fact that in this case literally everyone considers Federer the GOAT at this point. Don't let that little fact ruin your take though.

Reaction Score
How is it possible to be a "compiler" in tennis? I mean, if you just hang around long enough into your mid to late thirties, you eventually win 18 majors? Really? What a ridiculous critique of an absolute all-time great athlete.

Was Jack Nicklaus a compiler too?

Reaction Score
It's not genius if you read the whole explanation. He was in his peak prime in a dead period for competition and he compiled a bunch of GSs during that.

If the GOAT is determined solely by GS wins then he would be considered that.

I think it they all played in their prime Djoker, Rafa, Pete and possibly others would beat him.

That's my opinion. And Johnny Mac agrees, at least Sampras on grass.

"I think if they played 10 times on grass, both at their peak, then Pete would win six or seven times," said McEnroe. "He had the greatest, most difficult serve in the history of tennis."

See #1 below on my point

6 reasons why Djokovic has now overtaken Federer as the greatest of all time

How is it possible to be a "compiler" in tennis? I mean, if you just hang around long enough into your mid to late thirties, you eventually win 18 majors? Really? What a ridiculous critique of an absolute all-time great athlete.

Was Jack Nicklaus a compiler too?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's not genius if you read the whole explanation. He was in his peak prime in a dead period for competition and he compiled a bunch of GSs during that.

If the GOAT is determined solely by GS wins then he would be considered that.

I think it they all played in their prime Djoker, Rafa, Pete and possibly others would beat him.

That's my opinion. And Johnny Mac agrees, at least Sampras on grass.

"I think if they played 10 times on grass, both at their peak, then Pete would win six or seven times," said McEnroe. "He had the greatest, most difficult serve in the history of tennis."

See #1 below on my point

6 reasons why Djokovic has now overtaken Federer as the greatest of all time

I don't blame you for fumbling around to support such a bogus argument, but dang, look at the sources you just cherry-picked: McEnroe, one of the hugest egos in sports history, chooses the guy he actually played against over Federer. What a surprise! There's an unbiased opinion! And then you link an article from a year and a half ago, or, should I say, two Federer slams ago! Brilliant, just brilliant...

Reaction Score
Kris Bryant, Bryce Harper, Durant, and the Travelers are all jokes while Federer is a compiler who lived off of weak competetion.

The same person said all of these things. The frightening thing is the person is over 12 years old.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
“Oxygen is the GOAT. So refreshing. Breathing in this stuff is just amazing”
- Everyone

“Overrated. CO has it beat hands down. Especially in its prime. Oxygen merely a compiler due to circumstances. My life is a miserable wreck”
- JSM

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom