OT: Favorite TV ads | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite TV ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One of my current favorite TV ads that has had me chuckling with the payoff is the new McDonalds ad with folks attempting to do a Boston accent reading the text. That is funny enough but the payoff is last bit where a young women is asked to use a Connecticut accent and she asks something to the effect of, "What's that?"

Anyone else have current favorites?

Reaction Score
Ice, I like the off and on DirecTV campaign where having cable TV leads, through a
sequence of events, to some undesirable end like "Don't have a grandchild with a dog
collar, get DirecTV" or "Don't have your house blow up, get DirecTV", etc.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Believe the ad is Hyundai promoting its in dash mapping/gps gizmo with a genie who grants a wish that the baby in the back seat can talk. The baby promptly announces that he knows he is being driven around in circles so that he will go to sleep because he can follow the route on the screen. Then the baby quips something to the effect: Here is something you will all get quick! And he obviously oderizes the car with a dump in the diaper. Low brow sure, but funny and far better than a car doing donuts in the desert (the apparent ad of choice in the auto world for the last 20 years).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mayhem commercials are my wife's favorite, I like them too. I find the Hopper a bit annoying.

Two favorites though are the "Can't lie on the internet" (State Farm I think, i.e. date is a French model) and the AT&T "Infinity" commercial.

Reaction Score
Two favorites though are the "Can't lie on the internet" (State Farm I think, i.e. date is a French model) and the AT&T "Infinity" commercial.

I can't help it, I love all the AT&T commercials with the kids but especially the "infinity times infinity" one like meyers7. I find them to be very entertaining, and it really seems like they just let the kids say whatever they want to the questions - unscripted? If so, the actor relates really well to kids.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mayhem commercials are my wife's favorite, I like them too. I find the Hopper a bit annoying.

AT&T bothers me: Infinity is not a number, so it is gibberish. Is that the point? I doubt it.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Rocky...true, infinity is not a number. Neither is a bazillion, but both are concepts everyone understands, especially kids. He asked what was the largest number, they respond with cute answers: gazillion, bazillion and infinity plus one. He says infinity plus infinity and the girl tops him with infinity TIMES infinity....come on, that's brilliant!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky...true, infinity is not a number. Neither is a bazillion, but both are concepts everyone understands, especially kids. He asked what was the largest number, they respond with cute answers: gazillion, bazillion and infinity plus one. He says infinity plus infinity and the girl tops him with infinity TIMES infinity....come on, that's brilliant!!

gazillion and bazillion are made up number expressions. Infinity is not. If you conceived of infinity as a number ( an abstract contradiction in itself), then infinity times infinity would equal infinity. It is not brilliant, just a cute nonsense coming out of a child's mouth. To each his own. Actually, I find the whole ATT series annoying, with the most annoying being the child prattling on about "more".

Reaction Score
I have to go back some but I like the "Less filling/tastes great" commercials;

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Love the VW Darth and AT&T "puppy brother".

I love the girl in the sweater when the other girl explains why it's better to have a "puppy brother" than just a "puppy". She's like "I get it, a puppy brother".

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
gazillion and bazillion are made up number expressions. Infinity is not. If you conceived of infinity as a number ( an abstract contradiction in itself), then infinity times infinity would equal infinity. It is not brilliant, just a cute nonsense coming out of a child's mouth. To each his own. Actually, I find the whole ATT series annoying, with the most annoying being the child prattling on about "more".
Dang rock, you must be a blast at parties. :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dang rock, you must be a blast at parties. :rolleyes:

What's a party? I know I sound like Ebenezer Scrooge on this, but I am an old school guy in the hope that a commercial can be both entertaining and say something about the product. In ATT's case that would require ads with generous helpings of horse manure in them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What's a party? I know I sound like Ebenezer Scrooge on this,
I'll give you that. :D
but I am an old school guy in the hope that a commercial can be both entertaining and say something about the product. In ATT's case that would require ads with generous helpings of horse manure in them.
I don't use AT&T, but I can like the commercials. I don't care what they say about the product. Actually most commercials I don't even pay attention to what the product is. Just if they entertain or not.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Rocky: "You kids get off my lawn..!!"
Kids: "We're not on your lawn."
Rocky: "Well, in case you were thinking of going on my lawn, get off!!"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I can't help it, I love all the AT&T commercials with the kids but especially the "infinity times infinity" one like meyers7. I find them to be very entertaining, and it really seems like they just let the kids say whatever they want to the questions - unscripted? If so, the actor relates really well to kids.
The guys name is Beck Bennett. The ads are pretty much unscripted, besides the question. He did some YouTube videos called A Fresh Perspective using kids on a panel (like in the commercials). I've seen a couple of them are they are pretty funny too.

Reaction Score
One of my current favorite TV ads that has had me chuckling with the payoff is the new McDonalds ad with folks attempting to do a Boston accent reading the text. That is funny enough but the payoff is last bit where a young women is asked to use a Connecticut accent and she asks something to the effect of, "What's that?"

Anyone else have current favorites?
All the "messin with sasqatch" ads and the Ally Bank ads '"would you like a pony?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oAjBZqhxuOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7GUPY4ZXZME

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Rocky: "You kids get off my lawn..!!"
Kids: "We're not on your lawn."
Rocky: "Well, in case you were thinking of going on my lawn, get off!!"

Actually, I let the Rottweiler do that particular chore. Sometimes it means I don't have to feed him that night. :p

Reaction Score
My wife and I that one annoying and dumb. :confused:

We love the Hopper commercials. Especially where the two dudes are talking about ordering a pizza while the dad holds a bat over his son head from behind. Also...."Meatloaf!!! And some beeyahs!!"

I still don't know what the Hopper is. But it doesn't matter.

i especially like "the hopper" since the old timer with the mustache is a friend from my college days. spent some time with him at our reunion last weekend. it's become the most profitable job he's ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom