OT: Favorite Holiday Side dish(es) ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Holiday Side dish(es) ?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know you're all going to roll your eyes and make faces when I say that I'm vegan and that my favorite side dish is my version of double-stuffed baked potato.. so creamy (yes) and fluffy!
Still sounds good to me.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Crawfish/Cornbread dressing! Get ready to be happy!!

Well if you would Fedex a few batches up to the Piedmont Triad area of NC.... then I would be very happy and appreciative :cool:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well if you would Fedex a few batches up to the Piedmont Triad area of NC.... then I would be very happy and appreciative :cool:
C'mon! I thought doughnuts was your favorite side dish for any occasion.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Check out this recipe that will kill your arteries and satisfy you palate like no other.

My God, that sounds great. But given the artery-clogging nature, I’ll have to try it on a special occasion, it’s definitely not a weekly dish.

JordyG

Reaction Score
My God, that sounds great. But given the artery-clogging nature, I’ll have to try it on a special occasion, it’s definitely not a weekly dish.
Once a year then cleanse for a month.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Unofficial ranking of side dishes from Monday

1) Dressing with gravy
2) Potato Salad
3) Macaroni and Cheese
4) Squash Casserole
5) Tomato Slices
6) Green Beans
7) Seven Layer Salad
8) Collard Greens

N/A I didnt partake of the Rice (not much of a fan of white rice) , didnt even pick up any rolls... ... and I didnt have room on the plate for the Yams Head bang Was too stuffed from the first plate to return..... then forgot about them when I was packing up my to-go plates :(:oops::oops::oops:Head bang

Reaction Score
For the real question, is it Stuffing or is it Dressing? Someone told me once if it's in the Turkey...it's stuffing and if cooked separately...it's dressing. I have read up on this for a bit and it seems the south calls it "dressing" regardless if it's stuffed in bird or not. Reason for it, the word "stuffing" was somewhat offensive. Here in the northeast, I tend to call it stuffing regardless where it's cooked. So, what do you call it? :confused:

Reaction Score
This is my favorite “side” dish, in that it is our traditional Christmas Eve meal- spaghetti and clams.

This year we had it with shrimp and scallops, and ate it on Saturday night because our kids were off to their in laws for Christmas Eve.

Yes I am a paisano from the Bronx.

Reaction Score
For the real question, is it Stuffing or is it Dressing? Someone told me once if it's in the Turkey...it's stuffing and if cooked separately...it's dressing. I have read up on this for a bit and it seems the south calls it "dressing" regardless if it's stuffed in bird or not. Reason for it, the word "stuffing" was somewhat offensive. Here in the northeast, I tend to call it stuffing regardless where it's cooked. So, what do you call it? :confused:
I'm a New Englander through and through, but my mom has southern heritage. In our house, it has always been stuffing. The benefit of having a southern mom is that I grew up with one of life's greatest pleasures...grits with cheddar.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I came across this map sponsored by Butterball the other day.... Not sure how accurate it is though. They have NC listed as a Stuffing state.... and thats clearly not the case. One on of my favorite Sports Radio Shows (Triangle-based) They have a yearly debate over stuffing vs dressing and people call-in to give their opinions. The only people who call it stuffing are those with Northern Roots.

HowTosMain_Map_632x474.jpg

Reaction Score
I came across this map sponsored by Butterball the other day.... Not sure how accurate it is though. They have NC listed as a Stuffing state.... and thats clearly not the case. One on of my favorite Sports Radio Shows (Triangle-based) They have a yearly debate over stuffing vs dressing and people call-in to give their opinions. The only people who call it stuffing are those with Northern Roots.

Interesting, I wonder if one overlays the Blue and Red states map over this map, how close it would be.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite “side” dish, in that it is our traditional Christmas Eve meal- spaghetti and clams.

This year we had it with shrimp and scallops, and ate it on Saturday night because our kids were off to their in laws for Christmas Eve.

Yes I am a paisano from the Bronx.

Hope Baccala was also on table, it was on ours. We had Cioppino over homemade Pappardelle pasta, for the main Christmas Eve dinner...for starters. We managed to get 8 fishes all together, for the evening.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Unofficial ranking of side dishes from Monday

1) Dressing with gravy
2) Potato Salad
3) Macaroni and Cheese
4) Squash Casserole
5) Tomato Slices
6) Green Beans
7) Seven Layer Salad
8) Collard Greens

N/A I didnt partake of the Rice (not much of a fan of white rice) , didnt even pick up any rolls... ... and I didnt have room on the plate for the Yams Head bang Was too stuffed from the first plate to return..... then forgot about them when I was packing up my to-go plates :(:oops::oops::oops:Head bang
Blasphemy! Collard Greens were 8th? Below tomato slices? Hand in your southern card.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I my house you would dress the turkey before and after it was stuffed.

JordyG

Reaction Score

The only people who call it stuffing are those with Northern Roots.

Better tell that to the people in Louisiana, Arkansas, South Carolina, Oregon and what looks like virtually all of the Midwest. I don't think any of those people would appreciate having said they have "Northern roots". As for me, my family is from North Carolina and as I've said, we dressed the turkey before and after we put in the stuffing.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Check out this recipe that will kill your arteries and satisfy you palate like no other.

For you generosity I provide you with the WACHO recipe aptly named by a friend's daughter-in-law at a party. "Hey SVC, what do you call this? ... No, no! That is a description, not a name! ... Let's see its contents are like a nacho but it sits in a wonton wrapper ... It is a WACHO!" They will be the hit of the party. You WILL be asked for the recipe of this deceptively tasty delight. (Once again thank you Southern Living Magazine!)
upload_2017-12-27_17-25-16.png

Wachos
Ingredients

• 1 lb. hot sausage or hamburger "heated" with Cayanne pepper powder
  • 1½ cups (6 oz.) shredded Monterey cheese
  • 1½ cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup Ranch-style dressing (low fat works as well)
  • ½ cup chopped pimiento stuffed green olives
  • ½ cup finely chopped red or yellow or orange sweet bell pepper
  • 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded, devein and minced
  • 1 (16 oz.) package won ton wrappers (3½” squares)
Directions
  1. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink.
  2. Drain on paper towels.
  3. Combine sausage with the next six ingredients.
  4. Coat 4 miniature muffin pans with cooking spray.
  5. Place wonton wrappers in pans, using fingers to create fluted shape.
  6. Lightly spray won ton wrappers with cooking spray.
  7. Bake at 350° for total of 8 minutes, turning pans after 4 minutes.
  8. Spoon one heaping tablespoon of filling into each won ton cup.
  9. Bake at 350° for 9 to 10 minutes or until brown and thoroughly heated. Watch closely or they may move quickly being burned.
  10. Remove from pans and serve hot.
Yields about 3.5 dozen

Last edited:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Stuffing, for sure. The thing I hate most about the South is that they call stuffing dressing. Dressing goes on lettuce. Oops, no, I hate slow walkers and drivers more .

Potato latkes are a close runner up to stuffing as a side dish.

JordyG

Reaction Score
For you generosity I provide you with the WACHO recipe aptly named by a friend's daughter-in-law at a party. "Hey SVC, what do you call this? ... No, no! That is a description, not a name! ... Let's see its contents are like a nacho but it sits in a wonton wrapper ... It is a WACHO!" They will be the hit of the party. You WILL be asked for the recipe of this deceptively tasty delight. (Once again thank you Southern Cooking!)
View attachment 27241
Wachos
Ingredients

• 1 lb. hot sausage or hamburger "heated" with Cayanne pepper powder
  • 1½ cups (6 oz.) shredded Monterey cheese
  • 1½ cups (6 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • ½ cup Ranch-style dressing (low fat works as well)
  • ½ cup chopped pimiento stuffed green olives
  • ½ cup finely chopped red or yellow or orange sweet bell pepper
  • 1 Jalapeño pepper, seeded, devein and minced
  • 1 (16 oz.) package won ton wrappers (3½” squares)
Directions
  1. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink.
  2. Drain on paper towels.
  3. Combine sausage with the next six ingredients.
  4. Coat 4 miniature muffin pans with cooking spray.
  5. Place wonton wrappers in pans, using fingers to create fluted shape.
  6. Lightly spray won ton wrappers with cooking spray.
  7. Bake at 350° for total of 8 minutes, turning pans after 4 minutes.
  8. Spoon one heaping tablespoon of filling into each won ton cup.
  9. Bake at 350° for 9 to 10 minutes or until brown and thoroughly heated. Watch closely or they may move quickly being burned.
  10. Remove from pans and serve hot.
Yields about 3.5 dozen
Hot D***! Hit me up on my inbox. I'll give you my address. Send a batch.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stuffing, for sure. The thing I hate most about the South is that they call stuffing dressing. Dressing goes on lettuce. Oops, no, I hate slow walkers and drivers more .

Potato latkes are a close runner up to stuffing as a side dish.

panda bear mad.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Blasphemy! Collard Greens were 8th? Below tomato slices? Hand in your southern card.

Never liked collard greens... never even eaten more than a teaspoon at any one time....... I say every Christmas imma give them a try..... but I cant do it :oops:

Better tell that to the people in Louisiana, Arkansas, South Carolina, Oregon and what looks like virtually all of the Midwest. I don't think any of those people would appreciate having said they have "Northern roots". As for me, my family is from North Carolina and as I've said, we dressed the turkey before and after we put in the stuffing.

For clarification.... should have said the only people who called it stuffing.... were the northerners who called into the radio show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom