OT: Favorite Holiday Side dish(es) ? | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Holiday Side dish(es) ?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The December holidays.... not holidays like Veterans day or Labor Day :rolleyes:

For me... Hands down my #1 favorite is the dressing my Aunt makes. Its the first thing I look for when I enter the serving line...... followed by a few dance steps after I locate it

dancing bear.gif

I honestly dont know how you make it... or even what all is in it. Maybe I'll ask her on Christmas.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Mac and cheese baked to perfection. 3 or 4 different types of cheeses. The smell alone is heavenly.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not going to lie - it's all about the side dishes.

For Turkey - a common holiday dish - my wife's sausage stuffing. My late mother's mashed sweet potatoes / yams - unfortunately, she didn't leave a recipe.

For Ham - another regular dish - oddly enough, I miss a Jello dish I grew up with. Had celery and carrots in it, diced very fine. My Great Aunt Carrie made it when I was growing up, but my mother made it as well, although she didn't dice quite as fine. And my mother's mac and cheese, which I sometimes make.

This year, we are having either Osso Bucco or Stuffed Cabbage - I don't know which is Christmas and which is New Years. Or what the side dish is. But I'll like it.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Sagey stuffing with sausage and mushrooms, with real pan gravy.

I take a bowl of it at every opportunity.

It's just the two of us for Xmas this year but, since I love turkey, I'm doing a Butterball.

Leftover turkey sandwiches on Italian bread. Oh God, I can't wait.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Sagey stuffing with sausage and mushrooms, with real pan gravy.

I take a bowl of it at every opportunity.

It's just the two of us for Xmas this year but, since I love turkey, I'm doing a Butterball.

Leftover turkey sandwiches on Italian bread. Oh God, I can't wait.

For me...... Leftover Turkey sandwiches go best with Miracle Whip vs mayo. Actually the only time i buy/use Miracle Whip is to use on leftover turkey, ham, roast beef.

Mac and cheese baked to perfection. 3 or 4 different types of cheeses. The smell alone is heavenly.

what kind of cheeses?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
what kind of cheeses?

If I had ham for dinner, I'd go with mac and cheese (or more likely cheese potatoes), but I'm doing roast beest, whence the Yorkshire pudding. However, the only cheese I put in M&C/cheese potatoes is the sharpest cheddar I can find. And it needs to be a cheese sauce rather than the local (Pennsylvania Dutch/Maryland) style of white sauce over mac layered with cheese.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If I had ham for dinner, I'd go with mac and cheese (or more likely cheese potatoes), but I'm doing roast beest, whence the Yorkshire pudding. However, the only cheese I put in M&C/cheese potatoes is the sharpest cheddar I can find. And it needs to be a cheese sauce rather than the local (Pennsylvania Dutch/Maryland) style of white sauce over mac layered with cheese.

Yes.... Macaroni and cheese is the perfect side dish to Ham. Ive heard of yorkshire pudding.. no idea what exactly it is though

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes.... Macaroni and cheese is the perfect side dish to Ham. Ive heard of yorkshire pudding.. no idea what exactly it is though
It's a traditional English side dish to roast beef. The batter is flour and egg (the egg is both a binder and leavening) and, I think, milk. You put a bout a quarter cup of rendered fat from the roast, put that in a cast-iron skillet heated in a 450° oven, add the batter and bake for 15-20 minutes. Best done, it's a firm in the middle and all puffed up at the edges. It's wonderful with strong gravy. My mother and grand mother both made it wonderfully; my brother, one sister, and I are keeping up the tradition.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's a traditional English side dish to roast beef. The batter is flour and egg (the egg is both a binder and leavening) and, I think, milk. You put a bout a quarter cup of rendered fat from the roast, put that in a cast-iron skillet heated in a 450° oven, add the batter and bake for 15-20 minutes. Best done, it's a firm in the middle and all puffed up at the edges. It's wonderful with strong gravy. My mother and grand mother both made it wonderfully; my brother, one sister, and I are keeping up the tradition.
Related, I think, to popovers, which my wife has made a few times over the years. I've never had it, simply because it is not commonly found on menus.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Related, I think, to popovers, which my wife has made a few times over the years. I've never had it, simply because it is not commonly found on menus.
Yes, the batter is the same as popover batter, but it’s not Yorkshire pudding without the rendered beef fat. I often make it in muffin tins, because I think it rises better.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Scalloped Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Gruyere Gratin with Ham Pieces

Thank you Southern Living Christmas decoration and cook book series - 2003

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Crawfish/Cornbread dressing! Get ready to be happy!!

Oh my! My mouth is watering. Ages ago I went to a business lunch and ordered Crawfish Pie. First time ever. Never knew it existed. OMG! I never did know what meeting was about. I was totally focused on the pie during lunch and after lunch. Heck all afternoon. My God was it ever the best. Fortunately my partner, Raoul Robichaux, was focused on business. Can you guess where Raoul was born? :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know you're all going to roll your eyes and make faces when I say that I'm vegan and that my favorite side dish is my version of double-stuffed baked potato.. so creamy (yes) and fluffy!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom