OT: Favorite Holiday Desserts | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Holiday Desserts

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Last few years Ive taken a Five Flavor Pound Cake from local dessertery Maxie B's to christmas dinner. The Five Flavors are Vanilla, Lemon, Almond, Rum, and Brandy. You can either get it glazed or with icing... I prefer with Icing. I think its more of a Southern Cake.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sweet potato pie. End of story. To me the love of pumpkin pie over sweet potato pie is not a regional thing but a cultural thing. No, sweet potato pie is not made or prepared the same way as pumpkin pie. That mistake is a cultural thing which makes some people believe they taste similar. They do not. Nevertheless, I'm convinced that if an alien from another planet where given a taste test that alien would choose sweet potato pie 9 of 10 times. This to me is evidenced by many foreigners that have tried the two and made this taste test. So. End of story.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Traditionalist that I am: a truly superb warm apple pie with a true apple cinnamon filling (no sugary goo insides please) and all the crust must be crisp, top and bottom, and thick crust is a must; Not done: a big old dallop of french vanilla ice cream on or next too.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Traditionalist that I am: a truly superb warm apple pie with a true apple cinnamon filling (no sugary goo insides please) and all the crust must be crisp, top and bottom, and thick crust is a must; Not done: a big old dallop of french vanilla ice cream on or next too.
I second that. Occasional vanilla ice cream with it. Occasional.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hardcore huh? I like a big mug of coffee sitting close at hand.
Stop. I going to start sounding like triaddukefan. I still love sweet potato pie more, but this runs a very close second. Now, if you put strawberry ice cream on top with that hot mug of coffee you've just inched a bit closer.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Fruitcake. Not the ones you find in a store. My Grandmother loved baking and making all sorts of goodies. Not sure what her recipe was for her fruitcakes but they were yummy and had the texture and coloring of a dark brownie. Yummmmmmmmmm!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

The only apple pie I eat is the Dutch Apple Pie they sell at K&W Cafeteria (NC Chain) I dont get it often... but when I do... I always make sure I buy some vanilla ice cream on top of it. Regular apple pie is just too plain.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The only apple pie I eat is the Dutch Apple Pie they sell at K&W Cafeteria (NC Chain) I dont get it often... but when I do... I always make sure I buy some vanilla ice cream on top of it. Regular apple pie is just too plain.

The first "chain" apple pie I ever experienced was as a little guy, with my dad, in NYC for the first time and we had lunch at The Automat. It was damn good pie. But ala mode is always better.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Short answer: All of them!

Short list includes Dream Bars, Pumpkin or Pecan Pie, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Sugar Cookies, and Butterballs.

I make a Mele Kalikimaka (Hawaiian for Merry Christmas) Ice Cream. It starts with the Ben and Jerry’s Vanilla Ice Cream and then the following is added: Small chunks of fresh pineapple, toasted macadamias, cream of coconut, and shredded coconut. It’s uber-popular and really, really, really delicious.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The first "chain" apple pie I ever experienced was as a little guy, with my dad, in NYC for the first time and we had lunch at The Automat. It was damn good pie. But ala mode is always better.

While Im not a huge apple pie person.... I am a fan of apple turnovers.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Ooh! Mrs. SVC's Polish nut roll is righteous. Her hairdresser with her husband immigrated from Poland. They are serial entrepreneurs. She says Mrs. SVC's nut roll is just like her Mother's. I suspect not exactly since Mrs. SVC uses her Polish Aunt's recipe and altered it by a adding some almond paste to the walnut mixture. Yum! Also her cream cheese braids are wonderful. I probably gain at least 8-10 pounds this time of year. I know the mail lady and recycle and trash guys look forward to coming to our house this time of year. She gives everyone these treats even the folks at the local Burger King! Actually she feeds all them pastries year round. Thus our recycle bin is placed next to our garage door and literally anything placed at the end of our driveway is thrown into the trash truck. (Don't get excited we are responsible) No more missing mail and getting others' mail as well. She is not completely altruistic. ;):rolleyes:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My wife makes the best apple pie in the world! Unfortunately, she only makes it twice a year. But when she does it's all mine. Granny Smith apples, still with some bite (like RMB I can't stand that over sweetened goo that some call pie filling), a bit of cinnamon and a delicate touch of nutmeg and a larded super crispy crust just past golden brown. I prefer it plain, but I'll occasionally have a scoop of Turkey Hill vanilla or maybe with a slab of good Vermont cheddar. All washed down with a hot, black midwatch coffee.

I'll get one for Christmas if I am a good boy.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Sweet potato pie.

Yea ya! I say yea ya! About 3 decades ago we got absorbed by a group friends. Each New Years we would take turns hosting. The de facto leader Marge made her family's sweet potato pie. As you say ... end of story. She also initiate us into the joys of greens and ham hock, a tad spicy. After my first mouthful I demanded her recipe and I make to this day. Ah, you bring back wonderful memories.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
While Im not a huge apple pie person.... I am a fan of apple turnovers.

They have to be light and the filling has to be right, but I'm with you. Great on the go with coffee.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yea ya! I say yea ya! About 3 decades ago we got absorbed by a group friends. Each New Years we would take turns hosting. The de facto leader Marge made her family's sweet potato pie. As you say ... end of story. She also initiate us into the joys of greens and ham hock, a tad spicy. After my first mouthful I demanded her recipe and I make to this day. Ah, you bring back wonderful memories.
Greens and ham hock. Meat literally falling off of the bone. Not desserts, but a delicious holiday staple. Our meals were southern, so may I throw in some black eyed peas and tri and/or quad mac and cheese? A big southern style ham? Turkey, sure, but southern fried chicken, green beans, rice or bread pudding? White cake, coconut cake (my fave), chocolate cake? That's the meal I remember.

Reaction Score
Sweet potato pie. End of story. To me the love of pumpkin pie over sweet potato pie is not a regional thing but a cultural thing. No, sweet potato pie is not made or prepared the same way as pumpkin pie. That mistake is a cultural thing which makes some people believe they taste similar. They do not. Nevertheless, I'm convinced that if an alien from another planet where given a taste test that alien would choose sweet potato pie 9 of 10 times. This to me is evidenced by many foreigners that have tried the two and made this taste test. So. End of story.
Sweet Potato pie? The Epitome is made (or was made) by Say MacIntosh, he is or was the Black Santa of Little Rock Ark. Sweet Potato Pies was his business 12 months a year when he wasn't an activist for change in all races. I loved his pies, his Santa, and his activism--one hell of a man. He did what all should do--he allowed to hear opposing views.
Collard Greens and black eyed peas, Corn bread stuffing. The turkey is optional Flan.

Reaction Score
Greens and ham hock. Meat literally falling off of the bone. Not desserts, but a delicious holiday staple. Our meals were southern, so may I throw in some black eyed peas and tri and/or quad mac and cheese? A big southern style ham? Turkey, sure, but southern fried chicken, green beans, rice or bread pudding? White cake, coconut cake (my fave), chocolate cake? That's the meal I remember.
Ham Hocks--that was sunday dinner with cabbage and potatoes as a kid in Ct.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ham Hocks--that was sunday dinner with cabbage and potatoes as a kid in Ct.
Cabbage and potatoes. And we usually ate black eyed peas at Thanksgiving meal, Christmas meal and for the New Year with Hog's Head's for good luck. Southerner's man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom