OT: Favorite Genre/Authors/Books | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Genre/Authors/Books

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I have read everything Elmore Leonard wrote at least once, and many of them twice. Even the Westerns, although I far prefer his procedural crime novels.

Some years back, I flirted with science fiction. Bradbury et al. But found that too many of the genre's best authors would succumb to the east way out of simply inventing a way out of a plot that was in danger of dead ending. Two chapters from the end, there's suddenly a new life form, civilization or technology that provides the answer.
Thanks for expressing the comment about science fiction authors. It epitomizes what I felt after reading Stephen King's book The Shining. I thought the move was a very good
and suspenseful horror picture and was really looking forward to the book. When I got to the end of the novel with the part about the rabbit sculptures I could not have been more disappointed. It was like "I don't know how to end this book and the suspense I have been building for 445 pages so I'll just put the readers inside the unintelligible mind of a psychopath and let them write their own conclusion".

Reaction Score
I'm reading the new Bruce Springsteen memoir, Born to Run, which my wife gave me for our anniversary. It's a very good, very easy, very insightful, entertaining and informative read. If you've ever seen him before, you can almost hear him reciting many of the passages. It often reads like the narratives he gives in between songs.

Recommended for even the most casual fans. He's a pretty unique, driven guy who tapped into universal human themes as well as anyone ever has.

Just started this as well. It's almost scary how I can hear Bruce's voice in my head while reading the book.

Reaction Score
Thanks for expressing the comment about science fiction authors. It epitomizes what I felt after reading Stephen King's book The Shining. I thought the move was a very good and suspenseful horror picture and was really looking forward to the book. When I got to the end of the novel with the part about the rabbit sculptures I could not have been more disappointed. It was like "I don't know how to end this book and the suspense I have been building for 445 pages so I'll just put the readers inside the unintelligible mind of a psychopath and let them write their own conclusion".

That's funny. When I read Stephen King's "It", I couldn't believe that Pennywise the Clown was some alien spider. I remember thinking it was a joke and I must have been missing something. That was the last fiction novel that I have read.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
For some years I was listening to audiobooks in my car and when walking my dog, but have mostly switched to podcasts and music. Consistently good, fun fiction: David Baldacci, Michael Connolly, Lee Child (Jack Reacher books are action packed and fun), and John Sandford.

Every so often I get in the mood for a classic science fiction series and will re-listen to or re-read some of the greats: Foundation Series (Asimov), Dune (Herbert), Thomas Covenant (Donaldson), and A Song of Fire and Ice (great audiobook narration).

Reread Dune a couple of years ago and loved it (again). Wish the sequels were it's equal, but sadly, no.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
A Song of Ice and Fire, George RR Martin.
Hoping he'll actually finish the series Head bang

I have this feeling that once the show raps up in a couple of years, GRR is gonna go "awww...£uck it. That's a weight off my chest." And walk away.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Classics... nah. I'll watch the movie. I've been trying to get through "Confederacy of Dunces" for 10 years because everyone tells me it's a great and funny read. Still not halfway through it. Bores me to tears.

I really liked that book. Hard to find truly good satire.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
1. Favorite Genre? Generally non fiction looking at social issues and their history, but also like southern fiction and African American fiction
2. Favorite Authors? Cormac McCarthy
3. Favorite Books? Handling Sin, Blood Meridian, Native Son, People's History
4. Favorite Classics? Most Hemingway stuff
5. Book read more than once? Don't think I've read any book twice

Blood Meridian was awesome. Thought the Road was pretty good too. Never saw the movie.

I wanted David Milch (the guy who did Deadwood) to try his hand at a Blood Meridian screen adaptation.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
1. Favorite Genre? Non-fiction now; still like fiction
2. Favorite Authors?
Fiction: Dostoevsky, Cervantes, Hamsun, McMurtry
Non-Fiction: Barbara Tuchman, Raul Hilberg, Robert Mason
3. Favorite Books?
Fiction: Brothers Karamazov, Don Quixote, Master and Margarita, Lonesome Dove, Crime and Punishment
Non-Fiction: Guns of August, Destruction of the European Jews, Chickenhawk
4. Book read more than once? Lord of the Rings, Go to Sleep, Gecko, Curious George

Master and Margarita was really good. Then became amazing when I read the critical addendum and saw how intricate the writing was and just how much went in to it

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Reread Dune a couple of years ago and loved it (again). Wish the sequels were it's equal, but sadly, no.
I liked the first 3-4 books before the last couple went off the rails. It seems like it can be hard to end long series well.

Reaction Score
I read a lot of W.E.B. Griffin - military historical fiction.

Reaction Score
1. Favorite Genre? Fiction. I've always loved spy books and cop thrillers. I enjoyed the Game of Thrones tv show so much that I read the source books one summer a few years ago and have since been hooked on fantasy.
2. Favorite Authors? Daniel Silva, Lee Child (the last few have kinda sucked), Michael Connelly, Vince Flynn, Stephen King
3. Favorite Books? Currently enjoying the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown
4. Favorite Classics? I read The Hobbit and LOTR when I was younger then took a few decades before getting back into fantasy.
5. Book read more than once? I've read Stephen King's opus, The Stand a few times. All 1,000 + pages of it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
1. Favorite Genre? Fiction. I like fantasy, especially urban fantasy stuff plus spy/espionage and horror/thrillers
2. Favorite Authors? Jim Butcher, Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Patrick Rothfus, Ludlum,
3. Favorite Books? Dresden Files series, Good Omens, Neverwhere, LOTR, KingKiller Chronicle series
4. Favorite Classics? LOTR, several from Mark Twain, Common Sense - Thomas Paine, Henry IV and V by Bill S.
5. Book read more than once? Read all 16 Dresden Files books 2-3 times. Harry Potter series twice. LOTR and Hobbit.

Once upon a time I read more non-fiction. I now live entirely too much of it, and when I read I want to escape it. I try now and then, to work something in, but it seems slow and plodding.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok cold weather coming which is when I read most of my books (especially on my tablet). Looking for a good reads from like minded Yarders (not amazon). So I ask:

1. Favorite Genre? Fiction
2. Favorite Authors? Ken Follet, Fredrick Forsythe, John Grisham, Robert Ludlam
3. Favorite Books? Pillars of the Earth
4. Favorite Classics? Think and Grow Rich, Eye of the Needle (got hooked on spy novels)
5. Book read more than once? None for me

I like that stuff too. It's been a weak genre lately (no cold war etc.). I'm reading the Atlantis Gene right now, and while it lacks the depth of Ludlum, it's a fast paced and enjoyable thriller 2/3 of the way through.

Reaction Score
Many good mentions in this thread. If you like history a little bit Nathaniel Philbrick is a good non fiction writer - Mayflower was very good and I am reading one now about George Washington and Benedict Arnold.

Reaction Score
Many good mentions in this thread. If you like history a little bit Nathaniel Philbrick is a good non fiction writer - Mayflower was very good and I am reading one now about George Washington and Benedict Arnold.

The book on Custer was really good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom