OT: Favorite Butcher Shop/Meat Counter in Greater Hartford | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Butcher Shop/Meat Counter in Greater Hartford

Reaction Score
Looking for a great butcher shop or meat counter in the Hartford area for top quality steaks. Thus far, my favorite is the Glastonbury Highland Park Market. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I believe Avon Prime Meats used to be the Meat House, just like Shoreline Prime in Branford. The Meat House franchise went out of business and their two Connecticut locations have continued on with their former owners under new names. If Avon Prime Meats has maintained the same standards as Shoreline Prime, I would highly recommend it. We've been very happy with Shoreline Prime and it is my go-to for top quality steaks.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I should add that the Prime "Signature Marinade" steak tips and chicken are great crowd-pleasers and a must-get for us every time. My kids call the chicken breasts "magic chicken" because it tastes so good, and the steak tips are great because they come in a variety of sizes, so you end up with a range of doneness from medium rare to medium well, which, again, pleases everyone.

And I frequently grab a few NY Strips for myself; that is my favorite cut.

Their pork chops are also surprisingly good. Huge and moist, with nice marbling.

All grilled, of course.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of Bogners. They have shops in Vernon and Manchester. Took me a long time to try them because it just looks like a warehouse. Enough people swore by them that I finally gave them a try and I've been going ever since. Can't beat the freshness!

Reaction Score
3rd on Avon prime. I'd say it has a step on Highland Park. Less because of the quality of meat, more because of the knowledge of the staff. Both are excellent options though.

Reaction Score
I believe Avon Prime Meats used to be the Meat House, just like Shoreline Prime in Branford. The Meat House franchise went out of business and their two Connecticut locations have continued on with their former owners under new names. If Avon Prime Meats has maintained the same standards as Shoreline Prime, I would highly recommend it. We've been very happy with Shoreline Prime and it is my go-to for top quality steaks.

Have you tried Nica's in new haven? Been told to try it out for top quality meats just haven't ever stopped there and now with Ferraro's in Madison and Forte's in guilford along with Prime in branford there plenty of good options in the area

Reaction Score
4th on Avon Prime. I'm from Avon and whenever I go to my parents house on weekends I'll stop there and get food. It's awesome

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have you tried Nica's in new haven? Been told to try it out for top quality meats just haven't ever stopped there and now with Ferraro's in Madison and Forte's in guilford along with Prime in branford there plenty of good options in the area
Yes. Been to Nica's a lot, but never for steaks. Used to get steaks there when it was Prime Market, but just lunch since it's been Nica's. Now I go to P&M 95% of the time if I am going to one of the Orange Street shops (long, incestuous story behind all of them), but still never get steaks from any of them.

I do like Forte's, but I think Ferraro's is a notch down from them and Prime in terms of quality. Great for quantities of burgers, dogs, sausage and the like though.

Robert's in Madison has a surprisingly good meat counter, and frequently has some very good sales on top cuts.

Reaction Score
Fitzgerald Simsbury -Personal service, very knowledgeable ,quality prime meat. Brian the owner big UCONN Fan. Ask for Ed or Dennis.

Reaction Score
I should add that the Prime "Signature Marinade" steak tips and chicken are great crowd-pleasers and a must-get for us every time. My kids call the chicken breasts "magic chicken" because it tastes so good, and the steak tips are great because they come in a variety of sizes, so you end up with a range of doneness from medium rare to medium well, which, again, pleases everyone.

And I frequently grab a few NY Strips for myself; that is my favorite cut.

Their pork chops are also surprisingly good. Huge and moist, with nice marbling.

All grilled, of course.

Thank you for your excellent reply. Not sure as to why I even requested feedback because I am thrilled with the Highland Park Glastonbury steaks I have been getting. NY Strip at $14.99 a pound is my go to. Amazing flavor with a Montreal Seasoning, and plenty tender. Last night's entry may have been my favorite home cooked steak ever, honestly right there with J. Gilbert's. I love my Weber and will use it all winter long.

Reaction Score
3rd on Avon prime. I'd say it has a step on Highland Park. Less because of the quality of meat, more because of the knowledge of the staff. Both are excellent options though.
The Glastonbury Highland Park is a cut above. It truly is a little slice of culinary heaven.

Reaction Score
Second Halls in West Hartford. Great prices and great quality. Always really good sales and good service.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think Adolf's in West Hartford does a decent business. Never been to there store, but have been to restaurants that had meat from them.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yes. Been to Nica's a lot, but never for steaks. Used to get steaks there when it was Prime Market, but just lunch since it's been Nica's. Now I go to P&M 95% of the time if I am going to one of the Orange Street shops (long, incestuous story behind all of them), but still never get steaks from any of them.

I do like Forte's, but I think Ferraro's is a notch down from them and Prime in terms of quality. Great for quantities of burgers, dogs, sausage and the like though.

Robert's in Madison has a surprisingly good meat counter, and frequently has some very good sales on top cuts.

I'm at Nicas at least once a week for lunch. It's the closest spot to my school. Their pizza slices are awesome and tons of other good lunch options. Only been to P&M once I think

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There's a place in Windsor run by three guys from Papua New Guinea. "Manny's Meats"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom