OT - Facebook, Twitter, and Uconn rules. | The Boneyard

OT - Facebook, Twitter, and Uconn rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This was part of my response to Nan's 'Personal information service announcement that everyone should read. (pinned at the top of the board.) But I realized this should not muddy the water of that post and decided I should start a thread.

We live in an interesting time where social media has in some way created a 'self stalking' population that promotes the idea that the number of total strangers knowing personal information about you is a badge of honor.
Some people on this board have questioned Uconn WCBB rules that limit players use of social media during the season. I personally think this is a good idea.
Uconn players arrive on campus having been famous on a very local level in HS. This may have caused some issues for them on a local level, but for the most part they are view as 'children' and media and fans show serious restraint because of that. (There are a few exceptions to calling the fame/celebrity 'local' e.g. Griner, but the restraint is still in place.) Once they arrive on campus that celebrity becomes more national and they more likely to be classified as adults and fair game for any exposure that their actions lead to.
This is a significant change for players and providing some institutional guidelines to protect them against missteps as they make the transition is I think a very good idea. The depth of interest in Uconn players both on and off the court is great and the implications of the scrutiny that results may take sometime to sink in.
(Professional athletes have a better understanding of this parsing of every word and action and yet still make horrendous mistakes.)

Reaction Score
they still used intsagram and formspring/askfm, but I guess those aren't as 'bad' as facebook

HGN

Reaction Score
Keep focus on what's important + Steer clear of trouble = Stay off social media

Make sense to me.
I think Geno and UConn got it right. Focus on UConn basketball and winning.....A sure fire way to get more promotion and exposure than any Twitter or Facebook account.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Some of these players barely post on Twitter. If you're a grown a** man or woman who wants to see these kids stick their tongues out with their friends... you should be ashamed of yourself. half the stuff they talk about you don't understand, so u start assuming. I say just enjoy the game on the court and don't let social media define your character

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Some of these players barely post on Twitter. If you're a grown a** man or woman who wants to see these kids stick their tongues out with their friends... you should be ashamed of yourself. half the stuff they talk about you don't understand, so u start assuming. I say just enjoy the game on the court and don't let social media define your character
Yep. One of the Rutgers posters once linked a (relevant, not private or inappropriate) posting on one of the social media from a former RU player (I think complimenting Viv on her 900th). In any case, the rest of what was visible could have been written in Greek for all I could understand it.

I also hate it that social media has become part of the "coverage" (i.e. tweeting the anouncers, etc.) for sporting events on TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom