OT: Exciting start to the day | The Boneyard

OT: Exciting start to the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
OK, I need to change how I take the dog out early in the morning. Today we headed out at 5ish. Normally, I do not use a leash on him at that time of day as he just goes out into the grass 10-15 feet, does his business and comes straight back in. BUT as we turn the corner at the end of the hedge we come face to face with a good size bear, much bigger than me, sitting on his haunches as he is licking at our sunflower seed feeder 15-20 feet away.

Fortunately, Java is busy sniffing the ground and sees nothing. I grab him by the collar and it startles him and he backs up snapping in panic at me. Suddenly I am standing there holding a dog collar with no dog. He still can't see the bear because of the hedge.

The bear has now stood up and is looking at me as I throw my hands high woofing at the bear. As I am woofing the dog now wants to get around the hedge to see what I am yelling at and so I drop on the dog pinning the dog flat on the ground further shocking and scaring him and leading to more snapping. By then I see the bear running down over the hill.

Fortunately, I didn't get bit by the dog who is still in a panic as I put the collar back on while yelling at him to get in the house. From now on we use the leash. Java will wonder why the change in our routine but he never saw the bear and just assumed I was his normally crazy owner.

Not sure what the bear thought but I am pretty sure he wasn't a relative.

So what exciting wildlife experiences have any of you had?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow! That was some adrenaline! Glad all was okay.
I don't think you need to change anything, the dog's instinct will know what to do when the time comes.
PS. Get a CAT for better protection. Ha ha..

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yup, no need for coffee this morning.

I wasn't so much afraid of the bear since I live in rural PA and used to hunt and have been around many in the woods. But I was afraid of the dog rushing him and getting hurt. Java is 14 year old Aussie and has all the protective instincts of a herding dog.

It had to be a very comical seen with all the chaos.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I enjoyed reading of your early morning adventure, but now you must be alert to one of our regular posters who will likely inquire, "What was the point of your OP?":rolleyes:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
knowing its in the rear mirror I got a good chuckle out of that one! That is a large bear!

I would take Java over to where the bear was and let him sniff around so he realizes something was out there - probably some smelly scat nearby as well. He won't connect the dots with the early morning but may sense the scent in the future and hopefully instinct will kick in and tell him to avoid that scent.

My sister in law puts a bell on her dogs when she walks them so that the local black bears aren't surprised. - that's when they are most dangerous iirc

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Last week I walked around the corner of my garage and came face to butt with a big momma skunk. I was well within her kill radius. Now that is scary.

Many years ago I passed huge deadfall while hunting and almost walked into a bear. I was armed (with a bow) but I had no desire to shoot a bear, especially at a range of 10' or so. Luckily we both immediately charged - in opposite directions. I'm not sure who left the widest streak. That was my second close range encounter with a bear. I once had a cub try to climb a tree where I had a deer stand. Mom was just a few feet away eating apples. I yelled and mother and cub both took off.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
knowing its in the rear mirror I got a good chuckle out of that one! That is a large bear!

I would take Java over to where the bear was and let him sniff around so he realizes something was out there - probably some smelly scat nearby as well. He won't connect the dots with the early morning but may sense the scent in the future and hopefully instinct will kick in and tell him to avoid that scent.

My sister in law puts a bell on her dogs when she walks them so that the local black bears aren't surprised. - that's when they are most dangerous iirc

Depending on the dog, instinct may kick in and he would go chasing after the bear. Only Icebear knows how Java would react. There are dogs in the world and there are DOGS in the world. Don't let the recent hero cat video fool you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Java is a miniature Australian Shepherd weighing 45 pounds with all of the instinct to protect the flock from intruders and to heard the family and his toys. I have little doubt even at his age he would have rushed the bear to protect me which is why I was trying to get a hold on him any anyway possible.

BTW, my dad used to catch skunks barehanded. He never got sprayed. We had a descented skunk as a pet for several years.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Java will wonder why the change in our routine but he never saw the bear and just assumed I was his normally crazy owner.
he saw the bear... ICEBEAR

Reaction Score
Not a direct encounter, but something that surprised me.

During the drive to work one morning last week as I approached a corner in my neighborhood, I saw what I assumed at first was a cat or small dog in the road. As it moved out of the road it didn't move like a dog or cat but it was white in color so I didn't recognize the animal. By the time I got even with it, this creature was on the sidewalk and as I passed it turned to walk away from the road and I saw its back - a black stripe right down the middle. I was looking at a reverse colored skunk!

Only after I passed it did I think I should have pulled over to take a picture of it.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... My sister in law puts a bell on her dogs when she walks them so that the local black bears aren't surprised...
...I grab him by the collar and it startles him...
I throw my hands high woofing...
I drop on the dog pinning the dog flat on the ground further shocking and scaring him...
yelling at him to get in the house...
Don’t be surprised tomorrow if Ice wakes up with a bell (and Java’s paw prints) on his neck.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I spent almost 15 years living and working in East Africa. You don't want to know about my close encounters with wild life. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom