OT: Even Tom Hanks Loves UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Even Tom Hanks Loves UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm only an average fan. I thought he did a fantastic job in Saving Private Ryan. Movies like Big and Bachelor Party are alright to pass the time. I hated Cast Away. Didn't see the Terminal. The Money Pit was okay.

Having said all that....when a man drops a "University of Connecticut" reference on the red carpet, he's automatically launched into legend status... :cool:

Philadelphia, Forest Gump, Capt. Phillips, The Green Mile, Sleepless in Seattle, The Da Vinci Code, Catch Me If you can, The Road to Perdition, Apollo XIII, etc, etc..

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Philadelphia, Forest Gump, Capt. Phillips, The Green Mile, Sleepless in Seattle, The Da Vinci Code, Catch Me If you can, The Road to Perdition, Apollo XIII, etc, etc..

I thought he did a great job in Philadelphia and the Green Mile. Forrest Gump was good (but not great for me). The Da Vinci Code was disappointing (perhaps I went in with too high of an expectation). Sleepless in Seattle...nah. Catch Me If You Can...nah. The Road to Perdition was okay. Apollo 13 was okay. etc., etc.

I hope you didn't think that I stopped where I did in my previous post because I couldn't name or haven't seen a large amount of Hanks' films! I just didn't feel like turning this thread into IMDB.com...

Reaction Score
I thought he did a great job in Philadelphia and the Green Mile. Forrest Gump was good (but not great for me). The Da Vinci Code was disappointing (perhaps I went in with too high of an expectation). Sleepless in Seattle...nah. Catch Me If You Can...nah. The Road to Perdition was okay. Apollo 13 was okay. etc., etc.

I hope you didn't think that I stopped where I did in my previous post because I couldn't name or haven't seen a large amount of Hanks' films! I just didn't feel like turning this thread into IMDB.com...
I enjoy his movies but about 3 years ago i ran into him out in cal. and he was just the nicest person. very gracious to people around him. i saw him even be nice to papparazzi:confused:

Reaction Score
Never thought he was a great actor but he's definitely good and he's extremely likeable. He has had awesome roles his whole career and his acting was top notch in Philadelphia and Saving Private Ryan, Road to Perdition is one of my favorite movies and I also thought he did a good job in it. The thing that makes Hanks cool is that he has always been such a good comedic actor.

Reaction Score
UConnDan97 said:
I'm only an average fan. I thought he did a fantastic job in Saving Private Ryan. Movies like Big and Bachelor Party are alright to pass the time. I hated Cast Away. Didn't see the Terminal. The Money Pit was okay.

Having said all that....when a man drops a "University of Connecticut" reference on the red carpet, he's automatically launched into legend status... :cool:

Wasnt a big Castaway fan either, but it was a unique concept. For an entire hour, there was nothing but Tom Hanks on the screen - no other actors on the island obviously, but no cutaways to what was happening at home, no flashbacks, no hallucinations, not even a single note of background music. Not many actors could pull that off.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Officially listed as "most trusted person in the nation" And we didn't even mention Toy Story 1,2 and 3 yet. Don't be a Tom Hanks troll. ;^)

Jim

Reaction Score
Answer: "Rich was watching an NCAA basketball game of UConn in his socks when I walked into his house. He has no fond memories of his ordeal but it's conclusion..."
Sounds like a typical UCONN game. Painful at times to watch. Joy at getting the W.

Reaction Score
Even if you didn't like Castaway you had to admire the acting job he did. I happen to really like the movie because I thoroughly enjoy a good story. And, Castaway was an excellent story. Hanks lost 30 lbs for the role. I thought he should have gotten the Oscar that year but it went to Crowe for Gladiator. Anyway, Hanks is a superstar and a UConn fan.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then there's the Meg Ryan connection. Peggy Ryan attended UConn and did 3 movies with Hanks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
ThreeRings said:
Even if you didn't like Castaway you had to admire the acting job he did. I happen to really like the movie because I thoroughly enjoy a good story. And, Castaway was an excellent story. Hanks lost 30 lbs for the role. I thought he should have gotten the Oscar that year but it went to Crowe for Gladiator. Anyway, Hanks is a superstar and a UConn fan.

I liked the moral the castaway story got across:

If you have an impending marriage to a female rodent face on your calendar and you would like to get out of it, stay on a tropical island for a few years come home and upgrade to a younger fiery redhead artist.

Mathematically it looks like this:

(Tropical island) - ( rat faced annoyance ) = hot redhead

That is a winning formula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members