OT-ESPN layoffs out of the blue. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-ESPN layoffs out of the blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reading the article, the writer makes a connection between the increased college sports packages and the layoffs.

If you follow that line, then the money going to the ACC and SEC requires firing people in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
They should blame the layoffs on the Cable Cos for not conforming to their requests for 200% increases on subscriber rates.

Then the population could fund ESPN with their taxes and cable rates!

Im interested to see how the next rotation of negotiations go. You have huge percentages of increases in programming costs. The are going to try and shove that down the viewers throat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Reading the article, the writer makes a connection between the increased college sports packages and the layoffs.

If you follow that line, then the money going to the ACC and SEC requires firing people in Connecticut.

You forgot to mention the money ESPN is giving the AAC and the costs it will require to launch the new digital network the AAC discussed in its meetings yesterday.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Where is ZLS?

Spending 3-4 weeks finding out if I'm still employed.

If I'm not? No bitterness on my part. It's business. But I'd like to stick around.

Reaction Score
You forgot to mention the money ESPN is giving the AAC and the costs it will require to launch the new digital network the AAC discussed in its meetings yesterday.

Why would I mention those costs? The deal with the AAC fattened up their profit margins.

We're talking about squeezed margins here. Not fatter margins.

Reaction Score
Why would I mention those costs? The deal with the AAC fattened up their profit margins.

We're talking about squeezed margins here. Not fatter margins.

How do you know which deals are high profit and low profit?

Reaction Score
That is peanuts, chicken feed, etc. No bearing at all on anything.

Reaction Score
How do you know which deals are high profit and low profit?

I didn't say high profit and low profit. I said squeezed margins and wider margins.

The margins are squeezed in other conferences because ESPN is paying more money out.
In the meantime, it has taken UConn, Cincy, USF, Temple (and for a year Ville and Rutgers) and reduced their combined payout by an amount much greater than the increased payout to the ex-CUSAs.

Reaction Score

If I'm not? No bitterness on my part. It's business. But I'd like to stick around.
Hoping you have good luck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Same schtick we've heard for 5 years. Lack of regulations sucked a big hole in the economy with robbers on Wall Street absconding with pensions, and it's suddenly regulations that are hurting us. Not scams and stealing at the highest level.
"Stealing at the highest level" interesting choice of words.

My bad for pulling political commentary to the board. It belongs in the cesspool. The point that I was agreeing with is that I am not at all confident that the first five program does what it intends to do, and particularly doesn't do it in the most efficient manner.

I suspect that you and I would disagree on the root causes of the collapse of the economy, or at least the relative weighting of them, but that is not really relevant to discussions of UConn athletics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Good luck. I'm sure it will work out in the end.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It just dawned on me. There goes Aresco's plan that the contract could be renegotiated after three years.
The most important thing was to get out of that craptacular deal that allowed us to get lowballed and then matched without competition.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Thanks guys. Already know a few non-programming people who got axed.

There's nothing I can really do about it but hope. Appreciate the support, though!

Reaction Score
Thanks guys. Already know a few non-programming people who got axed.

There's nothing I can really do about it but hope. Appreciate the support, though!
Wish you the best, sounds awfully close to our conference situation. All we could do is hope for now.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I hope you stick around too. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom