OT: ESPN article on Jim Calhoun at St. Joseph's in West Hartford | The Boneyard

OT: ESPN article on Jim Calhoun at St. Joseph's in West Hartford

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Interesting.

Note to ESPN. UConn was not a school in a pasture when Calhoun arrived. The university was about much more than hoops and had had a few decent basketball years, too.

Reaction Score
Interesting.

Note to ESPN. UConn was not a school in a pasture when Calhoun arrived. The university was about much more than hoops and had had a few decent basketball years, too.
Dee Rowe is still a legend from long before Calhoun!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Dee Rowe is still a legend from long before Calhoun!
Try Fred Shabel and his teams with Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia. I think UConn has the same number of pastures it had 60 years ago.

Reaction Score
Interesting.

Thank you soooo much. Before Calhoun there was a lot of great COLLEGE basketball. I enjoyed all those games under Dee Rowe and many others before him. The old Yankee Conf didn't produce NCAA champs, that's true of Uconn at least, but I walked in windy cold snowy nights to sit on bleacher seats and cheered my lungs out before we knew Calhoun existed. I stopped watching UC men's games when Calhoun coached, no my favorite style.

Reaction Score
Try Fred Shabel and his teams with Toby Kimball and Wes Bialosuknia. I think UConn has the same number of pastures it had 60 years ago.
Probably not--but remember Tobogganing down those pastures near the Dairy??
Fred, Toby, Wes, Bobby Boyd, Tommy, many STUDENT athletes.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Thank you soooo much. Before Calhoun there was a lot of great COLLEGE basketball. I enjoyed all those games under Dee Rowe and many others before him. The old Yankee Conf didn't produce NCAA champs, that's true of Uconn at least, but I walked in windy cold snowy nights to sit on bleacher seats and cheered my lungs out before we knew Calhoun existed. I stopped watching UC men's games when Calhoun coached, no my favorite style.
People also forget that UConn had some decent years under Dom Perno before UConn joined the Big East. The best recruiting class ever before Calhoun was Wes B, Holowaty, Penders, Ron Ritter, Dick Thompson and PJ Curran all of whom started most of the time or at various times.

Reaction Score
My Aunt was a Nun there (St. Joes U) after returning from Europe. I followed two coeds into the building. I asked the Nun there if she could locate Sister Bertha for me---she was sure this was just a ruse to follow the students and she gave the the 3rd 4th 5th degree before answering my inquiry St Joseph was her last duty station.
Calhoun was not my favorite men's coach.

Reaction Score
People also forget that UConn had some decent years under Dom Perno before UConn joined the Big East. The best recruiting class ever before Calhoun was Wes B, Holowaty, Penders, Ron Ritter, Dick Thompson and PJ Curran all of whom started most of the time or at various times.
Tommy Thompson, In a (I assume ) title game He screamed out to the crowd --Jam the RAM's. We were sitting with a bunch of URI's in the bleechers and my wife let loose, loudly--JAM THE RAM"s. Tommy Penders Holowaty, Ritter--MEMORIES. Thanks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Corny and Chuck
Yep, and you have to add Mike McKay to that list as well. Though Aleksinas was transfer from Kentucky so he not part of the recruiting class techinically.

Reaction Score
Corny and Chuck
Corey?? Uconn fielded a very good, better, Yankee Conf teams,
Wish I could Remember the Walker that led them to the NIT games. Yes there was great Student Basketball before Calhoun.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Corey?? Uconn fielded a very good, better, Yankee Conf teams,
Wish I could Remember the Walker that led them to the NIT games. Yes there was great Student Basketball before Calhoun.
who said Corey?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom