OT: Emeka Looking to Return to the NBA | The Boneyard

OT: Emeka Looking to Return to the NBA

Reaction Score
The style of play in the NBA today has passed him by. Unless he can all of a sudden hit the 3, he probably won't play much. However, he could be a good veteran role model type of guy similar to what Ollie was at the end of his career.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Maybe a replacement for Amir Johnson in Boston? A little length and defensive prowess off the bench.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The style of play in the NBA today has passed him by. Unless he can all of a sudden hit the 3, he probably won't play much. However, he could be a good veteran role model type of guy similar to what Ollie was at the end of his career.
Not every center shoots threes, I believe the majority don't.

Reaction Score
Not every center shoots threes, I believe the majority don't.

The ones that don't are the pick and roll type of athletes that Emeka is not (especially at age 35).

Reaction Score
The ones that don't are the pick and roll type of athletes that Emeka is not (especially at age 35).

Yeah it's tough to imagine Mek playing meaningful minutes on a team at this point.

Reaction Score
No way, Johnson is 10x better than Okafor and can't even get on the court

He was bad at the end, injury or not. A 6-9 guy with zero handle or mid-range game is not in demand today

Maybe a replacement for Amir Johnson in Boston? A little length and defensive prowess off the bench.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Put that finance degree to work and spare your body. You're a young man in the business world but a dinosaur in the NBA.

Reaction Score
It just me or has this been a thread for like the last five off-seasons? Not blaming the OP, it's a worthy thread, just wondering if this has been as persistent as it seems.

There is still a place for Emeka in the NBA if he's the same guy he was in 2011, but that seems unlikely. Not sure who the comp for him would be in the NBA today. Bismack Biyombo? Emeka was probably capable of giving you a little more offensively but not quite the athlete.

Reaction Score
It just me or has this been a thread for like the last five off-seasons? Not blaming the OP, it's a worthy thread, just wondering if this has been as persistent as it seems.

I think with Mek it's been a will-he/won't-he thing every year since 2013. You saw the same thing with Ray Allen. They never really retired (well, Ray did recently, right?) they just kind of slipped away so every year this story will pop back up.

I'm not super surprised Mek is looking to come back but I just don't think there's much of a spot for him any more. Al Jefferson is only a few years younger than him and, while he's a different type of big man, he's had a few injuries and with his age there's barely a spot for him in the NBA anymore. For some reason this story reminds me of the story about Thabeet (last year?) when he was looking to get back in the league. Okafor has a better chance of a return to the NBA, however.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Holy Crap - Emeka is going to be 35 at the start of the next NBA season? That makes me feel really old. He should be like 28 in my mind. Seems like only yesterday he was walking down the court after being fouled saying 'I only need to make 1.'

He made almost $90 million in the NBA and was super smart. I'm sure he's set, but it would be fun to see him play a couple more years if only to keep UConn a little more relevant.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Remember when Coach Reeves almost played again for Portland but was beaten by the other guy in a game of one-on-one?

Edit: I have no idea why I said Bob Sura the first time.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think Gordon is more likely to make a comeback with his skill set than Emeka. Didn't he play in the DLeague this year? I was hoping the Cavs were gonna ressurect him when they picked up 300lb Derron Williams instead.

Reaction Score
Shooting is at a huge premium in the NBA, if anyone thought BG could remotely make shots he would have been signed

He's an awful defender too, so that doesn't help

Not sure why 'Meka would want to return as a 12th man type player and play maybe 5 mins every 3rd game even if he could make a roster, which is doubtful

He never won a single playoff series

Geez, BG, did he blow all his $$?

Report: Former NBA guard Ben Gordon arrested for ... pulling fire alarms?

I think Gordon is more likely to make a comeback with his skill set than Emeka. Didn't he play in the DLeague this year? I was hoping the Cavs were gonna ressurect him when they picked up 300lb Derron Williams instead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom