OT: Eli out as Giants starter... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Eli out as Giants starter...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Thanks Eli for the two Super Bowls and for putting up with the lack of a pro front line the past many years
Now you can go to Jacksonville and enjoy your twilight years in the league and get your HoF speech ready
Goodbye McAdoo, Goodbye Reese and Mara can fly away too
I am almost too ashamed to wear any of my Giants stuff

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Man I’d love to see Barkley in our backfield. However, as I’ve been told by many of my friends who are also Giants fans, they need to address the line issues first before any RB has a chance. I think I’m starting to agree with them. The fact that they passed on the pot smoking OT last year that is now starting for Miami was ridiculous.

What I don’t get is why they didn’t do this earlier. They screwed up by winning that game against KC (yeah I know they can’t purposely lose a game). If they were going to tank do it earlier.

This team is a disaster. My wife’s a Bears fan and I can no longer laugh at her team as mine is now way worse. Shame to see Eli go out this way. I thought he’d retire a Giant.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Joke!!!! Wellington Mara is rolling in his grave, Ive watched my last Giants game for a while, only guy who didn’t quit during any game during this hideous season when you got guys like Jack Rabbitt mailing it in, can’t stop puking in my mouth

Reaction Score
Mara and Tisch should fire themselves
They should just sell the team...it's obvious from just letting this clown Jerry Reese run this thing into the ground they care about only 1 thing...$$ in their pockets

Reaction Score
When the Giants won their last two Super Bowls Eli had a tight end he could rely on (Ballard and Boss) as well as serviceable offensive lines and running backs. Eli has his troubles with WTF fumbles at times but he can still win if he has those things which the Giants front office did not make a commitment to assemble. Add in the Macadoodle offense for the last 4 years and the Giants are a trainwreck. Who is deciding to put Geno in to evaluate? The verdict is in on him. MacAdoo and Reese both need to go. Reese for falling in love with drafting skill guys and not having an offense line. Mara is in over his head helping to pick MacAdoo to replace TC and keeping Reese. He screwed up badly. The house is on fire and he started it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hard to believe Reese gets to run the upcoming draft. All these years of missing on players and he get's another shot? Sure, Reese got Odell and found Cruz all those years ago, but what about all the Erik Flowers, our mess of a roster and our 2 win season?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hard to believe Reese gets to run the upcoming draft. All these years of missing on players and he get's another shot? Sure, Reese got Odell and found Cruz all those years ago, but what about all the Erik Flowers, our mess of a roster and our 2 win season?

Cruz was an UDFA too.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Cruz was an UDFA too.
Yes, just like our own Andrew Adams.

Jerry Reese’s real undoing though has been Flowers, Richberg, and Pugh coupled with zero success finding free agent lineman. None of these drafted lineman have been good enough with Flowers just awful. Reese historically has been decent with first round picks and struggled finding success in rounds 2 and 3 as well.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Screw this a s s hat! Time for Mara & Tisch to clean house...

I am as far from a Giants fan as one could possibly be, but that means I probably know too much about them. There is no way this happens without Mara's (at least tacit) approval. He was a driving force behind the Salary Cap restrictions in the uncapped year for Washington, Dallas, and Oakland (gee, no conflict of interest there) as well as Deflate-____. Yet he called in a favor to Goodell when his punter, of all positions, was accused of legitimate and verifiable spousal abuse.

I wish the Giants organization nothing but Cleveland Browns-since-1999-like misery and failure while this man is involved with their ownership.

(Disclaimer: I am fully aware that I support a team owned by Daniel Snyder.).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Smacks of draft gamesmanship. Geno is most certainly not the answer either.

Reaction Score
I'm a lifelong Giant fan. I'm old enough to have "reached the promised land" way back in '87 after years and years of futility. A side note, is that win actually lead to a serious reduction in my fan fervor across all sports. In the succeeding years I've enjoyed my teams' successes, but haven't gone overboard in their failures. Eli brought me a ton of satisfying wins. He also brought me two Super Bowls. One reasonably expected and one that blew my out of my chair. For all of that I am grateful.

But, Eli's been done for a while now. Sure he occasionally put the ball where it should have been. But, last year his success was arguably due to OBJ making lemonade out of Eli's lemons. His happy feet in the pocket was becoming more and more prevalent. This year it's 100x worse, and the terrible OL play is a major cause, which obviously isn't his fault. But, his inability to move away from the pressure didn't help. He goes down like a sack of potatoes at the merest touch by the rushers, more and more he's going down without actual contact being made. He's also now missing his receivers at an alarming rate. Case in point was that dump off late in the game to Vereen where, without any pressure he launched a 7 yarder that should have been an easy throw and catch 5 feet over his head. Out here where I live they know football and watch Giant games without passion or fan glasses. My buddies have been saying all season that it's clear that he's done for the very reasons I just mentioned. None of them are surprised, nor outraged at yesterday's announcement

The worse thing a franchise can do is to crater their season and future seasons by continuing to sooth the ego of an icon. Yankee fans have paid the price over the last 5-7 years because they continued to run Jeter out there every day. The O's did the same with Ripken back in the day as he chased Gehrig's record. While I certainly acknowledge the difficulty that all players must deal with when it comes to assessing their viability, the team has to protect itself, and by default, it's fan base by making the hard call.

The Geno Smith choice does have me dazed and confused though. That makes no sense at all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not a Giants fan, but I think they are looking to see if Webb can do anything. They say he and Smith will play. If not, nothing lost except Eli's pride and streak. Might as well kick the tires. The G-Men need a ton on both sides of the ball. OL stinks, RB stinks, receiver is thin beyond Odell, and every position on the D could use some help.

Not saying it is a classy move, it isn't. But they aren't going forward with Eli at $33M over the next two years. They need that money to shore up the team. If they could have traded him sooner, they should have. I really doubt that Webb is the answer, he's a project, but they need to know if they need to burn a high draft pick on a QB or can use it elsewhere. Agree, trading down is the right move.

Reaction Score
Yep it’s going to be a pretty painful rebuild. They need to jettison Eli, decline to extend OBJ, and dump any malcontent, high priced or not (Eli Apple, Jarvoris Jenkins). Take the huge cap hits in 2018 and bring in some high character vets at modest salaries.

I feel a little differently about MCAdoo then many here, but he will be gone. (Hope Packers scoop him up for their staff). But Jerry Reese needs to go. Like right now.

Reaction Score
The only defense for Reese & Mcadoo to be employed right now is the so-called "Giants Way".

There's nothing about benching Eli that coincides with the "Giants Way".

Reese & McAdoo should have been fired before benching Eli. If you're not going to play Webb, Eli finishes the year, and then you let the new coach and AD make the decision on whether to release or trade him.

Reaction Score
Slick move! Start a thread about my even more dreadful Giants to get my mind off my still very dreadful Huskies. I always fall for the argument that while we suck, so and so sucks more! You knew it was a good bet that a lot of Husky fans also follow the Jints. (Yup - it has been a tough fall. And KO and the BB team are figuring out how to ruin my winter...)

Reaction Score
Slick move! Start a thread about my even more dreadful Giants to get my mind off my still very dreadful Huskies. I always fall for the argument that while we suck, so and so sucks more! You knew it was a good bet that a lot of Husky fans also follow the Jints. (Yup - it has been a tough fall. And KO and the BB team are figuring out how to ruin my winter...)

I am a Giant's fan, a Husky Fan, and over the past 18 years living in Omaha, I've become a Husker fan. All three have had beyond dreadful season. But, of the three, the only team that IMHO didn't quit are the Huskies. They were outmanned and outgunned, But they showed heart. The Giants and the Huskers were gutless and an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
They should just sell the team...it's obvious from just letting this clown Jerry Reese run this thing into the ground they care about only 1 thing...$$ in their pockets
That would require a hostile takeover....

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
the Giant's have been one of the class organizations for so many years, but this gives them a black eye sitting a two time Super Bowl champion and MVP and more than likely a future Hall of Famer.
I will not be watching the NY Giant's this weekend or the rest of this year.
I will always be a Giant's fan but this is garbage and the wrong thing to do period.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
So this is the Giants legacy: They won't fire a head coach in season-they just bench a future Hall of Fame quarterback.

I was 12 years old when Y.A. Tittle came to his end as a Giant-that picture of the bloodied warrior kneeling on the turf at Pitt Stadium was my most enduring Giant moment until now.
The Giants, MY Giants, were ALWAYS the classiest team in the NFL. No More.

It's been all downhill since Wellington Mara died.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom