OT: Duke/Texas Tech Sellout the Garden | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Duke/Texas Tech Sellout the Garden

Reaction Score
Duke usually plays one game a year at MSG for their alumni in the area and it always sells out. Add in the star power of Zion, cam, barrett vs undefeated #12 team it was a no brainer it would be a sell out

Reaction Score
There’s a politician from North Carolina (I can’t remember his name) who’s famous for saying “I’ve spent my entire life in the South...except for my four years at Duke”

Reaction Score
And Duke is like Notre Dame in football - a ton of hardcore, non-alumni fans. And Zion has added even more casual fans. Duck Fuke.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Tech. They kept it much closer than I thought they would.

Texas Tech is kenpom #10 (10-1) this morning...good feisty defense...I thought that the dookies never caved and when they pulled away to win by 11, it was a very good win for them.

I suspect Texas Tech will have a pretty good year.

Reaction Score
Thanks to you all and this board...I have been watching basketball the last several years...Still learning the game but I am enjoying the sport.

When I watched Texas Tech and their #1 ranked defense, I could see how it made Duke's offense look sluggish (that and the dookies missing their first 15 three pointers).

Duke's defense was not shabby at all either...holding the Red Raiders scoreless for the last six minutes of the game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The 300/400/Chase Bridge seats will not be open on Saturday.

Hey, Nova's won 2 NC's recently, its almost as if the teeny Big East schools don't have the fanbases some think they have.

neither does UConn.

Very overrated fanbase that is way too "event" oriented.

Reaction Score
neither does UConn.

Very overrated fanbase that is way too "event" oriented.

The UConn fanbase has a pro-sports mentality (since that is what we are used to sports-wise). There are a lot of people, alumni included, who take a “if we’re not going to win a championship this year, why should I watch?” approach. Oh, and we also insist on playing half our games off campus in a decrepited former NHL arena. Brass Bonanza, baby!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I realize these are highly ranked teams with star power, but UConn should be able to do this on most trips to MSG. Even when we had Shabazz in his senior year, barely anyone showed up against Indiana.
Not true at all - I was there and there were plenty of UConn fans but we were spread out due to the Indiana folks buying big blocks and all wearing those hideous red striped pajama bottoms

Reaction Score
Not true at all - I was there and there were plenty of UConn fans but we were spread out due to the Indiana folks buying big blocks and all wearing those hideous red striped pajama bottoms
They didn’t even sell the upper deck for that game. It was an embarrassing showing from UConn fans

Reaction Score
Okay, but I would disagree. Not many people were in the second bowl.
They didn’t even sell the upper deck for that game. It was an embarrassing showing from UConn fans
I agree completely. I tried to post a picture of the second bowl from that night, but couldn’t. Great turnout from Indiana.

Reaction Score
We won't sell Saturday out. Villanova is down this year, we're just picking ourselves up off the deck. I bet it's a really good crowd, but it won't sell out.

I believe Duke and TT were selling this game as a travel package, so i'm not surprised they did well. But sadly, they're slowly chipping into the NYC market. Sucks, but they're going to wedge their foot in there, NY schools or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So, @zls44 mentioned it in a prior thread but they aren't likely to open the 400 section Saturday.

I've been monitoring seats for awhile and there are a handful of seats on Ticketmaster in the 200s for $65 after fees and the secondary market is actually like $75 for the same seats.

I figured I'd be able to get in the door for 30 and sit in the upper deck but it seems to be a pretty hot ticket.

Reaction Score
We won't sell Saturday out. Villanova is down this year, we're just picking ourselves up off the deck. I bet it's a really good crowd, but it won't sell out.

I believe Duke and TT were selling this game as a travel package, so i'm not surprised they did well. But sadly, they're slowly chipping into the NYC market. Sucks, but they're going to wedge their foot in there, NY schools or not.

I assume you’re just talking about Duke, not Texas Tech....lol

Reaction Score
No, I am not comparing Shabazz and Zion. I thought using an example where we had a decent team at the time, we still could not draw many people on a Friday night against Indiana.

Pic from my seat for the UConn/Indiana game at MSG in 2013 I was working in Hoboken at the time and wanted to go to the game; but, no one else could. So I went to a UConn website and bought a single ticket about 2 hours before the game paying about $60 for it without even looking where the seat was. I walk into MSG and realize that the ticket is in a section I am not familiar with, so I ask for help. I wind-up in a folding chair 2 rows behind the photographers in the corner right next to the Indiana bench surrounded by Hooiser fans. They were passionate; but, actually cool and knowledgeable fans in their red & white striped pants. For my own safety, I did not mention how much I got my ticket for as several folks told me they paid over $500 for seats right next to me.
2013 Fall - MSG, Close-up action.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have no idea how good Tech is as their non-con up until Dook has been a "Who's That" of college basketball. A few nice wins over some good teams and a buttload of wins over The Little Sisters of the Poor. Maybe they are better than I thought they were.

Reaction Score
UConn vs duke in November 2009 at MSG was nowhere near a sellout. Both teams were ranked at the time.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how good Tech is as their non-con up until Dook has been a "Who's That" of college basketball. A few nice wins over some good teams and a buttload of wins over The Little Sisters of the Poor. Maybe they are better than I thought they were.

They are KP #1 in the country in defense. Last year they closed top 5'ish. They have no 4* players logging minutes right now other than Francis . Their PG situation is going to most likely kill them against other elite defenses. Zhaire Smith probably would have run the point enough if he returned to TT. Smith was one and done as a 3*. Smith was a menace defensively (probably putting TT in National Title range). The one thing I respect more than anything is a college basketball coach who has a relentless work ethic and DRIVE. That is Chris Beard. I think we have seen the same from Hurley here at UConn (so with his first class we sit back and wait for development results).

Reaction Score
There’s a politician from North Carolina (I can’t remember his name) who’s famous for saying “I’ve spent my entire life in the South...except for my four years at Duke”

It wasn't Jesse Helms as I think he went to Wake Forest and saved most of his disparaging remarks for UNC, calling it a 'zoo' of liberals, communists, and minorities

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom