OT: Donovan Eyes NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
He should have went the first time?

Reaction Score
First thoughts are what's Florida's recruiting class like and who wants to transfer to UConn lol

But that sucks for Florida fans. Final Four --> Losing record --> Coach to NBA.
Florida has 4 4 star recruits coming in next year. All top 100 on ESPN.

Kevaughn Allen 6'3" SG (UConn offered)
Noah Dickerson 6'8" PF (UConn offered)
Kevarrius Hayes 6'9" PF/C
Keith Stone 6'7" SF

According to 247, they all are just hard commits, no LOI signed for any of them.

Reaction Score
remember the flip flop job he did with the orlando magic summer 07. worked out for the magic

Reaction Score
The Magic job is the best job out there, a lot of good young talent and for him he wouldn't have to move far.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If I was a great college coach like Donovan, I wouldn't want to go the the NBA. I get that it's the highest level and all, but the idea of being an all time college great appealed to me more. It also offers a lot more stability than the NBA. Florida would never give Donovan the boot. Donovan could make millions until he's in a wheelchair. To risk it all to go coach a team like Minnesota, and potentially get fired after a rebuild fails, just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather be a lifer at a good program.

Reaction Score
If I was a great college coach like Donovan, I wouldn't want to go the the NBA. I get that it's the highest level and all, but the idea of being an all time college great appealed to me more. It also offers a lot more stability than the NBA. Florida would never give Donovan the boot. Donovan could make millions until he's in a wheelchair. To risk it all to go coach a team like Minnesota, and potentially get fired after a rebuild fails, just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather be a lifer at a good program.

same here, plus coaching kids that actually want to be a part of your program and you recruited would be way more enjoyable than nba players who are only in it for the money.

Reaction Score

I agree, but I think you have to consider that going to the NBA and failing even in a month before being fired, wouldn't blacklist him from returning to the college ranks. Sure he wouldn't be able to waltz back into UF most likely, but he could get just about any vacant job in the next year, coach there for a couple of years. We've seen all the past guys who tried the NBA and failed come back to the college side without any problem, or most at least.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's probably a good time for him to go try the NBA.

If it doesn't work out, there'd be absolute feeding frenzy for him when he comes back to college.

As for Smart...I'd rather have the Florida job. He was already an assistant there.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The nice thing about the NBA is you don't have to worry about recruiting or babysitting. Its all basketball. Im sure that is attractive after spending years kissing 16 year old asses trying to convince them to come play for you.

Reaction Score
same here, plus coaching kids that actually want to be a part of your program and you recruited would be way more enjoyable than nba OR KENTUCKY players who are only in it for the money.
fixed this for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky