OT: Dog Training | The Boneyard

OT: Dog Training

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I have two dogs who were both rescues from different states. When we got them the vet said he believed that they were 2.5 years old (they'd be 4.5 now). One was with an owner who passed away and the other was found in an apartment with puppies. Besides getting them exposed to more people and dogs, I was wondering if you guys know of any good ways to train them to listen and not take off when they're not on a leash. I'd like to take them on hikes and even weekend trips without worrying about them taking off or going crazy. My friend got his dog trained by a professional but I'm not trying to spend so much money right now. Thanks

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Clicker and treat training. When they’re in your yard off leash and close by. Click and treat. They’ll know you got that good ish and hang by you. Develop a reliable “get your ass over right now” command (I shortened it to “now”) by practicing it and feeding them treats for 30 seconds straight. Also, don’t try to train them both together, they’re just gonna distract each other and think it’s play time. Take turns.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have two dogs who were both rescues from different states. When we got them the vet said he believed that they were 2.5 years old (they'd be 4.5 now). One was with an owner who passed away and the other was found in an apartment with puppies. Besides getting them exposed to more people and dogs, I was wondering if you guys know of any good ways to train them to listen and not take off when they're not on a leash. I'd like to take them on hikes and even weekend trips without worrying about them taking off or going crazy. My friend got his dog trained by a professional but I'm not trying to spend so much money right now. Thanks

First, throw away the couches.

Second, if you go on a hike, leave the dogs on the leash. It's a pain for other people on the trail to have to decipher what your dog is going to want when they come across it. There's no scenario where the dog simply ignores people when they pass. I don't think there is a way you're going to train that out of a pair of five-year old dogs without throwing all your money at a trainer.

Third, consider only buying home furnishings that can be cleaned with a hose.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Depends on the dog a bit. If you have a dog that responds to reward more than sanction you let that guide you.

Dogs need a lot of exercise. The bigger the dog the more exercise they need. You are setting yourself (more so than the dog) up to fail if you take them off the lead when they have pent up energy. So for my dog, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, I started out walking her at a normal pace and let her 'do her business.' Then I picked up the pace for about a mile, fast walking, slow jogging to force her into a canter. Once the energy was burned off. I kept the pace up but let the lead go slack. When she stretched it, I'd tighten it back up, which made her heel. The reward was the slack in the leash over time, she learned that I wanted her to walk with me.

Once she got that I took off lead at a stretch alongside a stream. Letting her walk between me an the stream. If she crossed the path, I called her to back. If she got too far away, I called her back. If she didn't come right away. I'd start that slow jog and fall right into step with me. Dogs are pack animals. You can exploit that.

Now this walk (@five miles) is her favorite. I let off and she runs into the stream to play, but will stay with me. Sometimes I have to remind her by "calling her" (a clicking sound, like the noise you'd make to a horse, then a short whistle, or finally (and rarely) "Come." It worked out pretty well.

Rhodesian-Ridgeback_5246a0971aa27.jpg

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Second, if you go on a hike, leave the dogs on the leash. It's a pain for other people on the trail to have to decipher what your dog is going to want when they come across it. There's no scenario where the dog simply ignores people when they pass. I don't think there is a way you're going to train that out of a pair of five-year old dogs without throwing all your money at a trainer.

Yes absolutely leave your dog on leash in trails. My previous advise was for yards, trips to other people’s house, etc. Creates needless stress for everyone who is out there including the dog who is probably like “why am I not on a leash? Better run around like crazy!” If you want your dog to have a large area to explore go to a dog park. My dog is very good and comes when called and follows me around like, well, a puppy but I never let her off leash on trails. I’m sure there would be no trouble but not worth the risk.

If you want your dog to enjoy the hike and have a sense of freedom while on the leash, don’t pull or drag it around. Let it sniff around and everything THEN give it a treat and call it to come next to you. Dogs hate getting a good sniff interrupted.

Reaction Score
Clicker and treat training. When they’re in your yard off leash and close by. Click and treat. They’ll know you got that good ish and hang by you. Develop a reliable “get your ass over right now” command (I shortened it to “now”) by practicing it and feeding them treats for 30 seconds straight. Also, don’t try to train them both together, they’re just gonna distract each other and think it’s play time. Take turns.
I never used treats in my training. All positive reinforcement based on mutual respect. You want to be the alpha and your dog would prefer you as the leader of the pack. This creates a relationship based on trust that is truly genuine.

Every night we may add steak juice or some other goodies mixed with some Orjen for a treat in her bowl (not hand to mouth). Some dogs NOT ALL crave to relinguish a leadership role and certain breeds that are strong willed and naturally dominant will look at the treat based training routine as a true sign of weakness by the handler. IF a dog responds to your commands based of his intelligence and love for you as opposed to the treat it opens up an amazing bonding experience. Actually an incredible one.

Have you ever been out and witnessed some of the treat based handlers? I mean there are times I have my dog in the heel and we walk by another dog who is just forced to sit there while the owner feeds him treats. Otherwise the dog would be aggressive. Some not all can break this dependency over time.

Look even Fidelco uses treats at times so I understand the temptation. I think you can be one of the unique trainers that isnt treat/food based (most are not healthy for the dog).

You love dogs. My friend any day of the week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Furniture is ok lol!

Man though you and so many others are on point about dogs off leash who infridge on others space. Unless you can have your dog so well trained to heel regardless of distraction your dog should always be on leash UNLESS the area is specified for off leash dogs. For instance Nod Brook in Simsbury ect ect..

Some good dog points other than the furniture. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom