OT: Disposing of Dry Ice | The Boneyard

OT: Disposing of Dry Ice

Reaction Score
In my email inbox was an advertisement from Great Alaska Seafood. Their site mentions that the individually wrapped fillets are stored in dry ice. I googled the thread title and it sounds like a complete hassle with health risks and carbon dioxide lingering for 24 hours, even if you can safely with tongs, leave the drive ice outside in a partially open container.

I wonder if birds or other wildlife might accidentally be harmed if left outside from the release of the gas into the atmosphere.

Anyone ever dealt with dry ice and its disposal?

BTW, anyone ever ordered fish from this company?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In my email inbox was an advertisement from Great Alaska Seafood. Their site mentions that the individually wrapped fillets are stored in dry ice. I googled the thread title and it sounds like a complete hassle with health risks and carbon dioxide lingering for 24 hours, even if you can safely with tongs, leave the drive ice outside in a partially open container.

I wonder if birds or other wildlife might accidentally be harmed if left outside from the release of the gas into the atmosphere.

I

I'll go on a limb and suggest most wildlife are conditioned to avoid eating things like dry ice.

I would think letting it evaporate outside is a safe, easy way to dispose of it.

Reaction Score
They don't use that much so it dissolves pretty quick just leave it in styrofoam or box they ship in. It's also usually in a pack, not just sitting out exposed. There's not enough in there to worry about asphyxiating or any harmful effects unless your standing over huffing it

A more fun way to get rid of it quickly is put a little in a plastic bottle, fill it 1/4 with water, quicky screw cap on, couple shakes then give it a toss

Reaction Score
Let it sublimate. Just carbon dioxide that is very cold. Could burn your skin if you let it

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Just don't touch it with bare skin. Otherwise it's perfectly safe for this application. CO2 is also heavier than air. You can dump it in your sink and trickle a slow stream of water. It will dissolve rather quickly and fill your sink up with fog that is harmless CO2 so long as you aren't huffing it in.

Using dry ice to ship perishables is a common practice and a neat science lesson. CO2 passes from solid to gaseous form at room temperature, without ever becoming liquid. Hence, it's nickname of dry ice.

Frozen CO2 is very, very cold (negative109 deg F). It will give you frost bite if you touch it with your bare skin. Put it in a cooler and it will keep whatever is in it cold for hours depending how much you have.

Look it up on wikipedia if you have other concerns.

Reaction Score

I ordered pizza from Zuppardis and just put the dry ice in my trash.

It wasn't a problem.

Unless I did something incredibly wrong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let it sublimate. Just carbon dioxide that is very cold. Could burn your skin if you let it
Love the use of the word sublimate.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Are you perhaps confusing carbon dioxide with carbon monoxide? The former (CO2) is what plants absorb from the atmosphere and convert to oxygen, while animals (EG us, ) do the opposite. The latter (CO) on the other hand comes out of your exhaust pipe and is noxious.
Put it in your garden. Your tomatoes will thank you. Or maybe not, but it won't harm them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like to put it in water and watch the bubbling fog effect. I think you're okay if you don't stick you nose in the water.

This is the only reason to order anything with dry ice.

Put it in the sink, turn on the faucet and then wait for your wife to ask why the entire first floor is covered in a menacing fog.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Dry ice is one of the most effective mosquito control agents in existence.

Mosquitoes are naturally attracted to sources of carbon dioxide, and swarm to it in great numbers. Landing on the dry ice freezes and kills them however.

So if you ever have guests over for a barbecue, fill a cooler full of dry ice and put it off in a far away corner of your property. The mosquitoes will leave you and your guests alone and congregate around the dry ice, dying by the hundreds.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dry ice is one of the most effective mosquito control agents in existence.

Mosquitoes are naturally attracted to sources of carbon dioxide, and swarm to it in great numbers. Landing on the dry ice freezes and kills them however.

So if you ever have guests over for a barbecue, fill a cooler full of dry ice and put it off in a far away corner of your property. The mosquitoes will leave you and your guests alone and congregate around the dry ice, dying by the hundreds.

Even if you are wrong, you have a cool fog machine and conversational topic for the party.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
You can also get rid of yellow jackets, wasps, and hornets with a bucket of gasoline with a two-by-four laying across it with cooked chicken nailed to the underside.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
You can also get rid of yellow jackets, wasps, and hornets with a bucket of gasoline with a two-by-four laying across it with cooked chicken nailed to the underside.
Who the hell came up with this idea?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

On the next episode of “Hayseed Justice”....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom