OT: Did Vontaze Burfict really try to decapitate a guy in a preseason game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Did Vontaze Burfict really try to decapitate a guy in a preseason game?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I will add one more thing to those who think it was a legal hit. A shot to the head is illegal, period.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because The Commissioner never gets one wrong....

If you guys want to live in some crazy Mad Max world where that is a legal play that's nice.

If that play is legal there won't be a receiver available to play after week 6.

Go play NFL Blitz if you need that level of violence in sports.

Reaction Score
If you guys want to live in some crazy Mad Max world where that is a legal play that's nice.

If that play is legal there won't be a receiver available to play after week 6.

Go play NFL Blitz if you need that level of violence in sports.

Slow down friend. All I am saying is by the letter of the rule the league wrote, it wasn't illegal. He didn't launch, it wasn't helmet-to-helmet, it was within 5 yards.

Maybe football was different when you played. Maybe it is different now. All I know is by the letter of the law, it wasn't illegal. It was overly harsh. And you see the League reduced the suspension...so....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Slow down friend. All I am saying is by the letter of the rule the league wrote, it wasn't illegal. He didn't launch, it wasn't helmet-to-helmet, it was within 5 yards.

Maybe football was different when you played. Maybe it is different now. All I know is by the letter of the law, it wasn't illegal. It was overly harsh. And you see the League reduced the suspension...so....

It is illegal by the letter of the law though.

And he's still suspended.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Not true. The league has a rule against uneccessary contact against someone not even involved in the play. I think it was quite obvious that Sherman was just waltzing across the field thinking, "man, sure is nice to be a vet and get some easy run here in the preseason..."

Burfict is a sociopath that can't even play along with a simple code of not trying to hurt guys in preseason.

Reaction Score
Not true. The league has a rule against uneccessary contact against someone not even involved in the play. I think it was quite obvious that Sherman was just waltzing across the field thinking, "man, sure is nice to be a vet and get some easy run here in the preseason..."

Burfict is a sociopath that can't even play along with a simple code of not trying to hurt guys in preseason.
Dude, if you're playing LB in the NFL you are by definition a sociopath. If you're an LB in college worth his salt, you're an aspiring sociopath. Any great LB is cut from the cloth of Butkus/Lambert, LT and is psychologically motivated (i.e., enjoys) to physically punish the opposition any way legally possible. I just don't get where people come from on the too violent aspect. The rules set out what is safe and unsafe. The unnecessary contact rule is a subjective rule, and at best should be used sparingly if all other aspects of the play are within the bounds of rule book. There are rules for late hits, below the body contact, launching, spearing, hands to the face, tripping, leg kicks, horse collars, face masks, contact after stopped forward motion, down after first contact, etc.... The surest way to get seriously injured is not playing at 100%...just like Sherman waltzing across the field. I just don't have sympathy for a guy not paying attention and expecting somebody to take it easy on them.

Reaction Score

Burfict is a nut-job who should probably be kicked out of the League.

How the heck is a player on a field not involved? Do you know who the will be thrown to? Do you know who may run down field and make a block? Do you know who may make a tackle against your team in the event of a recovered fumble or interception? If you do, you should have had a hall of fame career. If you are on the field of play, you are involved until the whistle.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom