OT-debt collection | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-debt collection

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
About a year ago I got a very real looking letter saying I was delinquent on my directtv account and gave me an address to send my equipment to within a week or pay a $500 fine. It had directtv letter head and everything. The giveaway other than the fact I knew I wasnt delinquent was the number they told me to call was 1 number off from the actual directtv customer service number. I’m sure there are people dumb enough to fall for this crap.

Reaction Score
Sorry you have to go through this. I've never owned a credit card in my life and and it is due to nonsense like this. You can never be sure. I've always wondered if there is such thing as a reputable, honest debt collector. All unscrupulous leeches as far as I am concerned. The worst is the usury based loans students in the states are swamped with. I feel awful for them.

As others have said, demand they send a letter to verify the debt. If the person you are speaking with refuses, demand to speak to supervisor.

Reaction Score
This has scam written all over it.
It’s more than likely a Sid Wilson fan getting back at you from the Ntambwe thread.

Reaction Score
My mom . . . ?
In most jurisdictions this debt would fall under breach of contract.
Verify the statute of limitations length for breach of contract.
Be aware that merely acknowledging the debt can re-start the clock, which is the reason why virtually every debt collection call is recorded.
If the SOL is 4 years and they call you at the 3yr9mth mark, in my jurisdiction, and you say, "yeah, yeah, I know I owe it," the SOL restarts at 0.
If you make a partial payment, that generally will also re-start the SOL clock.

If credit score is not impacted, or if you have no need for credit or don't care about your score, ignore it, don't take any calls, block numbers, and so on.

Make them come to you.

Worst case scenario is you get served with small claims court papers at some point. Do not let it go to default (no response from you) judgment.

I have won multiple cases like yours based on the plaintiff not having standing to sue because they can't prove they own the debt. To prove they own the debt, they have to show your original agreement with the 1st party all the way through to them. They rarely have that documentation and they just hope you don't show up.

I had one 40k student loan debt go uncollected because the plaintiff could not prove the chain of title back to Sallie Mae.

You seem like a super high energy guy. Best bet here is to ignore it and move on.

Like Winston once said, "if you stop to scold every barking dog along your walk, you'll never get to where you are going."

Reaction Score
Sorry you have to go through this. I've never owned a credit card in my life and and it is due to nonsense like this. You can never be sure. I've always wondered if there is such thing as a reputable, honest debt collector. All unscrupulous leeches as far as I am concerned. The worst is the usury based loans students in the states are swamped with. I feel awful for them.

As others have said, demand they send a letter to verify the debt. If the person you are speaking with refuses, demand to speak to supervisor.

How do you make hotel reservations or secure flights if you dont have a credit card?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
How do you make hotel reservations or secure flights if you dont have a credit card?
Cash is king.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
The first contact from a debt collector must be in writing and comply with the Debt Collection Practices Act. As another poster suggested you have the right that they verify the name of the original creditor and verify the amount and source of the debt. You have no obligation to speak to them and maybe you should not do so until you receive the written verification. As another poster wrote this debt collector paid pennies on the dollar for this claimed debt, after you receive the written verification verbally offer them 20% of the debt, if they accept pay them after you receive the settlement in writing, if they refuse tell them thanks and don’t call again.

Reaction Score
Debit cards have literally the same issues as credit cards (at least in terms of online fraud), but less protections and earn you no cash back rewards, etc.

If you don't trust yourself with credit, sure, stick with debit card. But you're wasting 1-2% free money.
I don't trust myself with credit but at the same time I am very disciplined with anything else, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Debit cards have literally the same issues as credit cards (at least in terms of online fraud), but less protections and earn you no cash back rewards, etc.

If you don't trust yourself with credit, sure, stick with debit card. But you're wasting 1-2% free money.

I wrote this in even more detail and then realized it was hopeless and deleted.

Reaction Score

Am not sure if there's less protection for debit cards. Had a charge that wasn't from me and the bank's IT system was able to detect it and also help erase the charge. Took a several minute visit at the bank.

Reaction Score
Am not sure if there's less protection for debit cards. Had a charge that wasn't from me and the bank's IT system was able to detect it and also help erase the charge. Took a several minute visit at the bank.

This sums it up well:
Credit Card vs. Debit: Which is Safer Online? - NerdWallet
Perhaps protection is the wrong word, but people using debit cards steal your actual money and can cause cascading effects on other transactions and your ability to spend future money while under investigation, whereas you don't give a credit card company your money until you actually pay the bill. You also have a ticking clock to notice with debit cards, but unlimited time as long as you can prove you didn't authorize the charge with credit cards.

Reaction Score

Thank you, no big deal.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My mom sent me a text last night that she got a letter addressed to me from a company Jefferson Capital Systems LLC. Told her to open it and it says I owe like $800 to Verizon.

I Call the Jefferson debt agency and they give me the total runaround telling me they can knock $300 off my debt if I enroll in their program and at the end of it I'll get a credit card. I tell them I'm not doing anything until they send a letter to me.

They tell me to go to another website and plug in an invitation # which when plugged in shows my last name spelled wrong and an $800 debt I can knock down to $500 if I sign up for the program. I call the lady back and demand she send me a letter before I do anything to verify the charge (I haven't had Verizon in probably 6 years and if there is any owed money it's owed by me, I paid for my account, why are they sending it to another family member?) and to know the veracity of the company. She tells me even though the letter was sent to the wrong address they only send out one letter and she tells me to go back and plug in that invitation # again and sign up for the payment program to get a discount and a card, I hang up flabbergasted. I call Verizon to see if they have me on record as owing anything. They say they are transferring me to someone else that can help me and it's back to Jefferson Capital Systems.

This clearly seems to be a real debt collection company but everything about it screams scam. How do they expect someone to just give them money without giving me any documentation?

I googled The Jennifer Capital System AND Verizon. They seem legit. Check your score online. If it was never reported, ignore it. If it was, dispute it in writing, asking for a copy of the contract you sign, WITH your signature. Now that you've called them, I believe you have one month to do so.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I worked in the mortgage industry specializing in refinance, debt consolidation for years dealing with people in debt and collectors. This sounds like a real debt to me it has probably been sold numerous times and ended up at one of these sketchy aggressive collection agencies that buy old debt for pennies on the dollar. Sounds like they’re offering you a settlement if you enroll in their credit repair program or something.

My advice:

1. Check if it’s showing up on your credit. If not don’t bother paying it. You can check your credit for free at credikarma.com
2. Before you pay anything try to dispute it with both the collection agency and the credit bureaus(even if you owe it). Often what happens is that the credit bureaus won’t even bother validating it and will just remove it.
3. Debt falls off your credit after 10 years so you can always wait it out. If you do pay it they will settle for way less than $300 off, ask for like $500+ off tell them take it or leave it. They likely bought the debt for like $10 since it’s so old and will accept anything.

Reaction Score
CreditKarma is easier, and also free. I've had my SS number used to fraudulently obtain credit, and in two cases my own card was used. Once corrected, my score returned to normal, but it's a pain. I now check every week.

View attachment 41951
803, 792. Your SAT scores?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
803, 792. Your SAT scores?

That was a year ago. I deleted the post because I got a PM saying it could be used for malicious purposes. I don't believe it can, but it wasn't worth the aggravation.

BTW, my score is now around 820, SAT was 1530, but that was before you had to write an essay. Not bad coming from a voc high school.

Reaction Score
That was a year ago. I deleted the post because I got a PM saying it could be used for malicious purposes. I don't believe it can, but it wasn't worth the aggravation.

BTW, my score is now around 820, SAT was 1530, but that was before you had to write an essay. Not bad coming from a voc high school.
First of all I can't see how what you posted could be used for malicious purposes. They are just numbers with no references to you. As far as SAT scores go, you are better than me, I can't even guess what my SAT scores were. I have three kids, 2 sons and a daughter, my sons both took the test with the 1600 max score. My daughter , the youngest at 30, took the test with the 2400 max score. She loves to bust them on her superior score. Even though it's apples and oranges, I sit back and enjoy the banter.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
First of all I can't see how what you posted could be used for malicious purposes. They are just numbers with no references to you. As far as SAT scores go, you are better than me, I can't even guess what my SAT scores were. I have three kids, 2 sons and a daughter, my sons both took the test with the 1600 max score. My daughter , the youngest at 30, took the test with the 2400 max score. She loves to bust them on her superior score. Even though it's apples and oranges, I sit back and enjoy the banter.

SATs help get into a better college, that's about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom