OT-debt collection | The Boneyard

OT-debt collection

Reaction Score
My mom sent me a text last night that she got a letter addressed to me from a company Jefferson Capital Systems LLC. Told her to open it and it says I owe like $800 to Verizon.

I Call the Jefferson debt agency and they give me the total runaround telling me they can knock $300 off my debt if I enroll in their program and at the end of it I'll get a credit card. I tell them I'm not doing anything until they send a letter to me.

They tell me to go to another website and plug in an invitation # which when plugged in shows my last name spelled wrong and an $800 debt I can knock down to $500 if I sign up for the program. I call the lady back and demand she send me a letter before I do anything to verify the charge (I haven't had Verizon in probably 6 years and if there is any owed money it's owed by me, I paid for my account, why are they sending it to another family member?) and to know the veracity of the company. She tells me even though the letter was sent to the wrong address they only send out one letter and she tells me to go back and plug in that invitation # again and sign up for the payment program to get a discount and a card, I hang up flabbergasted. I call Verizon to see if they have me on record as owing anything. They say they are transferring me to someone else that can help me and it's back to Jefferson Capital Systems.

This clearly seems to be a real debt collection company but everything about it screams scam. How do they expect someone to just give them money without giving me any documentation?

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My mom sent me a text last night that she got a letter addressed to me from a company Jefferson Capital Systems LLC. Told her to open it and it says I owe like $800 to Verizon. Call the Jefferson debt agency and they give me the total runaround telling me they can knock $300 off my debt if I enroll in their program and at the end of it I'll get a credit card. I tell them I'm not doing anything until they send a letter to me. They tell me to go to another website and plug in an invitation # which when plugged in shows my last name spelled wrong and an $800 debt I can knock down to $500 if I sign up for the program. I call the lady back and demand she send me a letter before I do anything to verify the charge (I haven't had Verizon in probably 6 years and if there is any owed money it's owed by me, I paid for my account, why are they sending it to another family member?) and to know the veracity of the company. She tells me even though the letter was sent to the wrong address they only send out one letter and she tells me to go back and plug in that invitation # again and sign up for the payment program to get a discount and a card, I hang up flabbergasted. I call Verizon to see if they have me on record as owing anything. They say they are transferring me to someone else that can help me and it's back to Jefferson Capital Systems.

This clearly seems to be a real debt collection company but everything about it screams scam. How do they expect someone to just give them money without giving me any documentation?

if it isnt on your credit report who gives a damn.

annualcreditreport.com is free

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Tell them to pound sand, better yet just ignore. If this outfit files a small claims suit for the $800 then you can pay attention, and they will have to document how that debt arose.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I did some freelance database programming for a legit collections co some years back.

They were legit but got paid on what they collected. The quality of data that companies gave them to collect was pure garbage. A big part of the reason they couldn’t collect in the first place was because it wasn’t valid.

Reaction Score
My credit is fine. Says if this isn't paid off by April 7th it will affect my score. Says the charge of date is from April 7, 2015.

How the hell do they expect me to pay it off if they won't even sent me a letter?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you know you don't owe it, it may be worth verifying there wasn't someone using your name and address to get them Verizon phones. It seems like everyone I know is hit up with some level of identify theft every 3 years or so.

Reaction Score
They bought the debt, pennies on the dollar, from Verizon. Talking to Verizon won't get you anywhere. What they absolutely have to do is provide proof. If they don't respond to that via phone, send them a letter saying that you don't owe the amount.

Reaction Score
You didn;t call Verizon forst to clarify??

I took it that his records were such that he didn't know if he owed Verizon $800 once-upon-a-time. I'm sure Verizon would clarify that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They bought the debt, pennies on the dollar, from Verizon. Talking to Verizon won't get you anywhere. What they absolutely have to do is provide proof. If they don't respond to that via phone, send them a letter saying that you don't owe the amount.
And they won't provide me proof, they won't even take down my address to send me a letter.

I can't believe they operate this way. Both women I dealt with on the phone were totally unprofessional and said just sign up to pay it to get a reduced bill. Name spelled incorrectly and they won't send me proof of charges

Reaction Score
Federal law gives you the right to request a debt collector provide proof that you owe a debt. It's the best way to ensure that you're not paying a debt you don't owe or a debt that the collector isn't authorized to collect on.

The debt validation request is time sensitive. You must make your request in writing within 30 days of the debt collector's initial contact with you. If you wait more than 30 days, your validation request may not be covered under debt collection law.

Your rights are not protected if you make your debt validation request over the phone.

Use This Letter to Dispute a Debt Collection You're Unsure Of

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My credit is fine. Says if this isn't paid off by April 7th it will affect my score. Says the charge of date is from April 7, 2015.

How the hell do they expect me to pay it off if they won't even sent me a letter?

You should give them Charlie Ebersol’s number. They can get a taste of that UCF money.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This boneyard thread is worth the $800 owed in exposure for Jefferson Capital. Looks like everything’s been settled here.

If someone tweets the link they owe Big Red $73.19

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And they won't provide me proof, they won't even take down my address to send me a letter.

I can't believe they operate this way. Both women I dealt with on the phone were totally unprofessional and said just sign up to pay it to get a reduced bill. Name spelled incorrectly and they won't send me proof of charges

You sure they aren’t Nigerian princesses?

Reaction Score
Federal law gives you the right to request a debt collector provide proof that you owe a debt. It's the best way to ensure that you're not paying a debt you don't owe or a debt that the collector isn't authorized to collect on.

The debt validation request is time sensitive. You must make your request in writing within 30 days of the debt collector's initial contact with you. If you wait more than 30 days, your validation request may not be covered under debt collection law.

Your rights are not protected if you make your debt validation request over the phone.

Use This Letter to Dispute a Debt Collection You're Unsure Of
Boom. Thank you, I'll do this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom