OT: Dave Rice lobbies to keep UNLV job | The Boneyard

OT: Dave Rice lobbies to keep UNLV job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While critics pick on Rice for his in-game coaching ability and failure to motivate his players consistently, among other things, he and his staff continue to recruit at an elite level. UNLV was more talented than about 90 percent of the teams on its schedule this season, and it beat one of the teams (Arizona) with more talent.

But at the same time, the Rebels went 0-5 against Boise State and San Diego State and were sitting at home when a senior-filled Wyoming team with one marginal NBA prospect won the Mountain West tournament Saturday at the Thomas &Mack Center. That line would look bad on Rice’s resume.

He also won’t boast about the declining win totals in his four seasons — from 26 to 25 to 20 to 18. Rice had his most success with players mostly recruited by former coach Lon Kruger.

“We had plenty of chances this season to just fold up and go home, and we didn’t and we battled until the end,” Doolin said. “A lot of freshmen were thrown in the fire. They gained a lot of experience, invaluable experience. I think next year, it’s really going to show.”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/rice-lobbies-keep-unlv-job

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He's Frank Haith. Recruits well, can't coach.

Reaction Score
If Dave Rice goes, maybe Derrick Jones will be back on the market. Will be keeping an eye on this situation.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to hear Ben Howland's name as a replacement.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Whoever can mine Findlay will be the replacement

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Did we recently lose a recruit to UNLV? I know we lost recruits to a school with university in it's name............ ...

Reaction Score
While critics pick on Rice for his in-game coaching ability and failure to motivate his players consistently, among other things, he and his staff continue to recruit at an elite level. UNLV was more talented than about 90 percent of the teams on its schedule this season, and it beat one of the teams (Arizona) with more talent.

But at the same time, the Rebels went 0-5 against Boise State and San Diego State and were sitting at home when a senior-filled Wyoming team with one marginal NBA prospect won the Mountain West tournament Saturday at the Thomas &Mack Center. That line would look bad on Rice’s resume.

He also won’t boast about the declining win totals in his four seasons — from 26 to 25 to 20 to 18. Rice had his most success with players mostly recruited by former coach Lon Kruger.

“We had plenty of chances this season to just fold up and go home, and we didn’t and we battled until the end,” Doolin said. “A lot of freshmen were thrown in the fire. They gained a lot of experience, invaluable experience. I think next year, it’s really going to show.”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/rice-lobbies-keep-unlv-job

If he gets fired, can KO hire him as a recruiter?

Reaction Score
Not sure why? He's horrible and his teams as talented as they are perform horribly year after year and underachieve at a higher rate than any program.

Good for UNLV :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky