OT: Dark Comedies You Love | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Dark Comedies You Love

Reaction Score
The King of Hearts. One of the best anti-war films I ever saw. Hard to describe but imagine a French town caught between the Germans and the Brits during WWI. The townspeople abandon their homes, and the inmates of an asylum take over. Hilarious and on top of all that you get 24 year old Geneviève Bujold.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The dark comedy genre has always eluded me. I enjoy some of the movies, but the comedy part is lost on me. To me it's always been a code word for not funny at all. Some of them are tragedies in my mind. Like Fargo, good film, utterly ridiculous series of events that spun out of control, a bunch of people end up dead, all of it was totally unnecessary and avoidable. It's absurd, but the absurdity doesn't become humorous to me.

Along those lines this another movie that I thought was well done but surprised to later hear described as a dark comedy. Wait, it was a comedy? What was I missing?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't always recognize what is a dark comedy, but I think a few of the movies that have popped up on this thread are more farce or spoof.

Reaction Score
The dark comedy genre has always eluded me. I enjoy some of the movies, but the comedy part is lost on me. To me it's always been a code word for not funny at all. Some of them are tragedies in my mind. Like Fargo, good film, utterly ridiculous series of events that spun out of control, a bunch of people end up dead, all of it was totally unnecessary and avoidable. It's absurd, but the absurdity doesn't become humorous to me.

Along those lines this another movie that I thought was well done but surprised to later hear described as a dark comedy. Wait, it was a comedy? What was I missing?

This is an interesting observation. No easy answer. But you might want to run your eyes over the following. Might help you (us) better understand the questions you pose, what is meant by humor, comedy, etc.:

Philosophy of Humor (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)
and
Black comedy - Wikipedia

Hard to convince someone that they should experience something as humorous. It's sort of like trying to explain to someone who doesn't like the taste of mango that mango is delicious. I've glibly remarked that the world can be divided up into two sets of people: those who think it is funny seeing a three-year old hit their dad in the balls with a whiffle ball; and those who don't. On the whole, I include myself in the former group. Perhaps part of the reason (and this may go to the appeal of black comedy) is that it undermines authority and challenges hierarchy and self-importance.

Cheers.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That's some heavy reading on the subject of comedy Connie! Thank you though, it's illuminating.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've glibly remarked that the world can be divided up into two sets of people: those who think it is funny seeing a three-year old hit their dad in the balls with a whiffle ball; and those who don't.

Oh yeah, that's always funny. America's Funniest Home Videos and MTV's Jackass would've never existed without repeated crotch shots. Comedy gold.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, that's always funny. America's Funniest Home Videos and MTV's Jackass would've never existed without repeated crotch shots. Comedy gold.
I sorta view these shows as more pyrite than gold. Too many instances of the deliberate setting up of shots. A little good, mostly bad. Schadenfreude ist zu mir nicht komisch! :confused:

Reaction Score
Well, I understand what you mean. But seriously, there are many legal practices: big firms, small firms, solo practitioners, civil practitioners, criminal lawyers, staff attorneys, securities lawyers who work for the fed. gov't, tax attorneys, med. mal. experts, trial attorneys, those who focus exclusively on appellate practice, trusts/wills/estates lawyers, small-town lawyers, masters of the universe directors and principal shareholders, products liability guys, prosecutors, insurance coverage guys, in-house attorneys. . . the list is endless. It is very difficult to generalize what constitutes the "realistic" practice of law. Many lawyers never have occasion to ever enter a courthouse.

Truth is that for many lawyers, a "realistic" protrayal of what they do would entail a 7 hour headshot of someone sitting at a computer reading documents, answering emails, drafting and reviewing documents, entering billable time, dictating memos., and so on. I guess BCS does this to some extent; better than most.

I'm somewhat familiar with what lawyers do.

But like I said before the Kim character is someone I know. She really nailed it.

A show about the day to day mechanics of what most lawyers do would be hideously boring, but they actually did make that come somewhat clear in their nursing home case and in their banking regulation case.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Perhaps part of the reason (and this may go to the appeal of black comedy) is that it undermines authority and challenges hierarchy and self-importance.

Certainly may explain why it does not tickle your funny bone. Did you see and not appreciate:

All movies are uneven. Slap stick wants to invade constantly because low comedy invariably appeals to the widest audience. Our Game of thrones Fav's line about deserving something is deliciously complex and humorous. Could be your humor palette is far narrower than most.

Reaction Score
Skeleton Twins is one of my favorite dark comedies! Although this clip is just pure fun, the movie touches on the theme of loss, estranged relationships, and the attempts to repair them.

Reaction Score

I loved this movie growing up, Rose McGown did a great job playing the mean girl.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This one ,based on a novel by Evelyn Waugh, is both dark and comedic. The character name of Miss Aimee
Thanatogenous was hilariously inky!

Reaction Score
This one ,based on a novel by Evelyn Waugh, is both dark and comedic. The character name of Miss Aimee
Thanatogenous was hilariously inky!

Excellent work! Well spotted!

Reaction Score
Certainly may explain why it does not tickle your funny bone. Did you see and not appreciate:

All movies are uneven. Slap stick wants to invade constantly because low comedy invariably appeals to the widest audience. Our Game of thrones Fav's line about deserving something is deliciously complex and humorous. Could be your humor palette is far narrower than most.

Assuming the above is directed to my post, I think you misread me. (I do not say that critically. There is a lot to keep up on here.)

I do not rule out texts by reference to genre. There are great black comedies, farces, slapsticks, etc. of course, there are some poor ones as well.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Skeleton Twins is one of my favorite dark comedies! Although this clip is just pure fun, the movie touches on the theme of loss, estranged relationships, and the attempts to repair them.

And it has a song you love, but are afraid to admit it too! Bridging two threads; well done.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I've watched this again and again. And the weather in Bruges is perfect for dark comedy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The dark comedy genre has always eluded me.

I understand. Sometimes I get the feeling that a dark comedy is mostly an unfunny comedy. I think dramedy fits better for most and I hate that word. They called Three Billboards a dark comedy but really the only humor was insult.

Reaction Score
And it has a song you love, but are afraid to admit it too! Bridging two threads; well done.

BAHAHHAAHHA! So true...how do I request a "merged thread"? ;)
Side note: I desperately want to sing this duet at a karaoke but it's a little out of my range :p

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I understand. Sometimes I get the feeling that a dark comedy is mostly an unfunny comedy. I think dramedy fits better for most and I hate that word. They called Three Billboards a dark comedy but really the only humor was insult.

Test audiences don't laugh. What to do, what to do? I know we'll call it a dark comedy, then people will be afraid to say they don't find it funny, because people will think them dense. Makes sense.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Test audiences don't laugh. What to do, what to do? I know we'll call it a dark comedy, then people will be afraid to say they don't find it funny, because people will think them dense. Makes sense.

Careful Rocky, that was almost poetry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom