OT Crime in AAC | The Boneyard

OT Crime in AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Around 13% of CT's residents are in those cities. All have decent neighborhoods.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Did they add Sacred Heart while I wasn't looking?

Reaction Score
No fugging way BPT is more than dangerous, than HTFD and New Haven. Gun Waving New Haven, didn't get that name for nothing. I didn't read the article or know the metrics they're using. I use my own metrics, am I more scared in downtown New Haven or Seaside Park? Park Street in Hartford or Washington Ave in BPT?

Anyways its a big market league. Big markets have crime.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Good thing UConn's main campus is located in Storrs then, huh? Why list Hartford, New Haven, or Bridgeport? I can give a little on Hartford since we play games there?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
No fugging way BPT is more than dangerous, than HTFD and New Haven. Gun Waving New Haven, didn't get that name for nothing. I didn't read the article or know the metrics they're using. I use my own metrics, am I more scared in downtown New Haven or Seaside Park? Park Street in Hartford or Washington Ave in BPT?

Anyways its a big market league. Big markets have crime.

Downtown New Haven or Seaside Park?? How about Lighthouse Park versus Seaside Park? Newhallville in NH versus Marina Village in Bpt. At least make them fair comparisons.;)

I've worked the streets in all three - each has their notorious neighborhood(s) that drives the FBI statistics and each has had their day @ the top. Hell, there are parts of Waterbury that are as bad as any in NH, Bpt or NH.

Reaction Score
huskymedic said "...I've worked the streets in all three..."

Dealer, pimp, john, or ho?

medic.jpg

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Downtown New Haven or Seaside Park?? How about Lighthouse Park versus Seaside Park? Newhallville in NH versus Marina Village in Bpt. At least make them fair comparisons.;)

I've worked the streets in all three - each has their notorious neighborhood(s) that drives the FBI statistics and each has had their day @ the top. Hell, there are parts of Waterbury that are as bad as any in NH, Bpt or NH.

I grew up in Danbury in the 70's when the only things here were The Great Danbury Fair, Marcus Dairy, an historic downtown and trees.

I wrote my college thesis on the negative effect the mall had on Danbury. Cheap jobs, bring cheap labor, which bring cultural and economic change, which brings overwhelming growth, which leads to a strain on the medical and educational sectors, which leads to a lack of support for the needy, which somewhere along the road leads to a spike in crime.

Nothing stays the same and as our borders remain unsecure and our current population expands, so will the decline of safe, small towns.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I grew up in Danbury in the 70's when the only things here were The Great Danbury Fair, Marcus Dairy, an historic downtown and trees.

I wrote my college thesis on the negative effect the mall had on Danbury. Cheap jobs, bring cheap labor, which bring cultural and economic change, which brings overwhelming growth, which leads to a strain on the medical and educational sectors, which leads to a lack of support for the needy, which somewhere along the road leads to a spike in crime.

Nothing stays the same and as our borders remain unsecure and our current population expands, so will the decline of safe, small towns.

The mall in Manchester definitely had a negative effect on the town as well. But there were other factors that changed it from what it was in my time there in the 70's and 80's.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
The border with NY isn't secure?!???

Actually, I'd like to secure the NY borders a little better:)

However, I was referring to our National borders which allow for an influx of cheap, undocumented labor to follow the influx of jobs that come with a retail boom like Danbury saw in the late 80's/early 90's. A mass migration like Danbury saw puts huge amounts of stress on infrastructure, schools and medical facilities. 25 years after the mall opened here we have overcrowded schools, don't have enough teachers to handle ESL students and have a hospital emergency room that is overrun with people coming in for common colds.

Reaction Score

I agreed with you till you said waterbury. All junkies and fiends there. I would still rate New Haven and Hartford as places I've been most scared while "working the streets".

Reaction Score
Actually, I'd like to secure the NY borders a little better:)

However, I was referring to our National borders which allow for an influx of cheap, undocumented labor to follow the influx of jobs that come with a retail boom like Danbury saw in the late 80's/early 90's. A mass migration like Danbury saw puts huge amounts of stress on infrastructure, schools and medical facilities. 25 years after the mall opened here we have overcrowded schools, don't have enough teachers to handle ESL students and have a hospital emergency room that is overrun with people coming in for common colds.

This post picqued by interest. I understand the concept of a retail boom in another section of town, pulling foot traffic and business away from an older retail center aka...a downtown.

I'm not sure I'm following you on the mall's impact visa vis immigration. My expereince is that retail sales sector employment - especially retail employment connected with sales volume bonuses and commissions - doesn't translate well to immigrants who are still working to master the language and customs of their new home.

Full disclosure, I grew up in Meriden, which saw a sizeable influx of population from Puerto Rico (a US territory - so no immigration issues) and other Spanish speaking countries in Central/South America, beginning in the 1960s. My read on the cause of this was our governments' urban policies regarding the redevelopment of cities, bank redlining, and the existing residents' desire - partly promoted by government and banks - to move to "quieter," more suburban towns. In Meriden's case towns like Wallingford, Southington, and Cheshire expereinced significant growth in the 1970s through the 1990s. As a result, the properties left behind were older and as a result of being located in a neighborhood perceived as being "decamped," became cheaper and more available to immigrants and newcomers.

My assumption would be that towns like Bethel, Ridgefield, Brookfield etc. would show growth patterns that coincided with Danbury's growth in immigrant population.

Would you take issue with any of the theories I put forward and how would you link the development of a new retail shopping center to these trends?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
This post picqued by interest. I understand the concept of a retail boom in another section of town, pulling foot traffic and business away from an older retail center aka...a downtown.

I'm not sure I'm following you on the mall's impact visa vis immigration. My expereince is that retail sales sector employment - especially retail employment connected with sales volume bonuses and commissions - doesn't translate well to immigrants who are still working to master the language and customs of their new home.

Full disclosure, I grew up in Meriden, which saw a sizeable influx of population from Puerto Rico (a US territory - so no immigration issues) and other Spanish speaking countries in Central/South America, beginning in the 1960s. My read on the cause of this was our governments' urban policies regarding the redevelopment of cities, bank redlining, and the existing residents' desire - partly promoted by government and banks - to move to "quieter," more suburban towns. In Meriden's case towns like Wallingford, Southington, and Cheshire expereinced significant growth in the 1970s through the 1990s. As a result, the properties left behind were older and as a result of being located in a neighborhood perceived as being "decamped," became cheaper and more available to immigrants and newcomers.

My assumption would be that towns like Bethel, Ridgefield, Brookfield etc. would show growth patterns that coincided with Danbury's growth in immigrant population.

Would you take issue with any of the theories I put forward and how would you link the development of a new retail shopping center to these trends?

I probably should have specified that I wasn't necessarily saying that retail jobs led to an immigration boom. What my research showed while writing my Urban Economics thesis is that the mall led to an influx of jobs and even more retail chains moving to Danbury. Those retail jobs led to an overall population growth, which led to opportunities for cheap labor. Undocumented workers flock to where the opportunities are and the greater Danbury area offered just that.

Bethel and Brookfield have seen spikes in immigrant populations but nothing on the scale that Danbury has. I attribute that, in large part, to the fact that Danbury had a tremendous amount of old-Victorian homes that were easily retro-fitted into cheap, multi family apartments. Neither Bethel or Brookfield had such capabilities to house the influx of people.

Ridgefield is a different animal as most legalized citizens can't even afford to live there.

Reaction Score
I probably should have specified that I wasn't necessarily saying that retail jobs led to an immigration boom. What my research showed while writing my Urban Economics thesis is that the mall led to an influx of jobs and even more retail chains moving to Danbury. Those retail jobs led to an overall population growth, which led to opportunities for cheap labor. Undocumented workers flock to where the opportunities are and the greater Danbury area offered just that.

Bethel and Brookfield have seen spikes in immigrant populations but nothing on the scale that Danbury has. I attribute that, in large part, to the fact that Danbury had a tremendous amount of old-Victorian homes that were easily retro-fitted into cheap, multi family apartments. Neither Bethel or Brookfield had such capabilities to house the influx of people.

Ridgefield is a different animal as most legalized citizens can't even afford to live there.

My question regarding Bethel, Brookfield etc. was in reference to those towns seeing population growth as a result of the "old guard" Danbury residents moving to those towns during the 1970s/80s/90s. My assumption was that the lionshare of the immigrant population would have moved into Danbury while those towns would have received the residents who left those Danbury homes now being occupied by the newcomers.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
My question regarding Bethel, Brookfield etc. was in reference to those towns seeing population growth as a result of the "old guard" Danbury residents moving to those towns during the 1970s/80s/90s. My assumption was that the lionshare of the immigrant population would have moved into Danbury while those towns would have received the residents who left those Danbury homes now being occupied by the newcomers.

You're correct in that assumption. As far as neighborhoods go there are still some pockets in Danbury that have been unaffected by the population growth (Aunt Hack, Ridgebury, King Street, Candlewood Lake, etc). The majority of the changes as far as migration is concerned are centered around the old downtown section of Danbury. As I mentioned, the mall destroyed the retail sector of downtown and a majority of the old homes were sectioned off into cheap apartments.

As for Brookfield and Bethel seeing a population growth because of people moving out of Danbury, that is a known fact. When Danbury started to become over-populated and the schools became affected, people left in droves. Of my group of friends who all grew up in Danbury, 6 out of 8 moved their families to Brookfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom