OT: Cool Map of US at Night (B1G implications) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Cool Map of US at Night (B1G implications)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the bright spot dead east of Lake Superior is - I'm pretty sure it's Bismarck ND. Minneapolis and Winnipeg are pretty clear. What the hell is all that light in Western North Dakota/Eastern Montana north of the Denver/Boulder lights?

Lights on oil rigs?
Northwest of Chicago is Minneapolis, and northwest of them is Calgary.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Northwest of Chicago is Minneapolis, and northwest of them is Calgary.

It's Bismark or a bit west of Bismark. It's got to be oil related, I've driven from Chicago to Seattle - there isn't a blessed thing where those lights are.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is reason why the milkyway disappeared on the east coast.

There are some good things about living in the sticks of Eastern Connecticut - the night sky in winter is one of the underrated features.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What is that grean streak running down the entire eastern seaboard?

Edit: nevermind - I sneezed on my monitor.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Medic but the video won't load for me.

I'm pretty deep into my Sunday football drinking so I'm just going to go with my initial thought that no people actually live in the dark spots.

Hmmm - it's a damn ad before the actually a slideshow - Anyways here's the caption. "A composite image assembled from data acquired by the Suomi NPP satellite in April and October 2012 shows the United States at night. The new satellite used the day-night band of the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite to detect light in a range of wavelengths and used filtering techniques to observe dim signals such as city lights, gas flares, auroras, wildfires and reflected moonlight."

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Hmmm - it's a damn ad before the actually a slideshow - Anyways here's the caption. "A composite image assembled from data acquired by the Suomi NPP satellite in April and October 2012 shows the United States at night. The new satellite used the day-night band of the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite to detect light in a range of wavelengths and used filtering techniques to observe dim signals such as city lights, gas flares, auroras, wildfires and reflected moonlight."

If I'm reading this correctly, I was right! No one lives in those dark spots. Truly amazing. "WE LANDED ON THE MOON!"

I have no clue how I got a 60 on the science portion of my SAT's.

I've come a long way in the 30+ years since I watched the Giants games with my Dad in black and white while I played with the globe that actually opened up to reveal his full bar! :)

Reaction Score
Anyone ever see a similar map like this after sandy went through? The whole northeast=black hole.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Anyone ever see a similar map like this after sandy went through? The whole northeast=black hole.

This is what the NE looked like after the Oct 2011 snow storm.

Oct2011SnowStorm.jpg

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been posted but I read some encouraging chatter in the OSU board. Two posters (KyleSLamb and BurdsEye) were making well presented cases to at least include us in the B1G expansion discussion. They were pretty effective actually among your usual "Oh please god not UCONN!" or "what do they bring?" The two posters answered them in a very factual and measured way.

I enjoyed the read. Look for the "Keep an eye on....UCONN" heading.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=10508077&p=89

Again, sorry if it's been posted.

Reaction Score
My apologies if this has been posted but I read some encouraging chatter in the OSU board. Two posters (KyleSLamb and BurdsEye) were making well presented cases to at least include us in the B1G expansion discussion. They were pretty effective actually among your usual "Oh please god not UCONN!" or "what do they bring?" The two posters answered them in a very factual and measured way.

I enjoyed the read. Look for the "Keep an eye on....UCONN" heading.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=145&f=3154&t=10508077&p=89

Again, sorry if it's been posted.

Nice find...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members