OT Cool Idea by Purdue | The Boneyard

OT Cool Idea by Purdue

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Am I losing my mind or isn't this part of the plan at XL? Aren't they turning the second level at one of the ends into a bar?

Reaction Score
One way to get tailgaters inside early is to move the tailgate inside.

Or, not to subject everyone walking through the gate to a full body cavity search which takes an unreasonable amount of time and delays entry to unnecessary levels.

Reaction Score
Am I losing my mind or isn't this part of the plan at XL? Aren't they turning the second level at one of the ends into a bar?

If they are taking down a second level behind the hoop, they should really just keep going.

Reaction Score

Yup at the top of of sections 120-123.

Reaction Score
Vanderbilt has something like this which I thought was neat when I saw it last Fall. Major difference though, it was "wine and dine" for BIG money donors........and it was "packed". Something UConn needs if the stadium was to ever expand and needed a slew of donors. Don't expect the state to pony up the money.

I know, Uconn has area below press box.......which looks empty most of the time. I think people may "like to be seen".

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is EXACTLY what I would like to see UCONN look into for our standing room area. Expand the stadium with an elevated second deck on that side of the stadium in order to give it cover. My dream is to turn the base of the scoreboard stand into a full service sports bar. Tables would be on the parking lot side of that area and some on the sides. The closer to the field you get, the more open it is to allow fans to stand and watch the game. HDTVs hung from the ceiling with circulating fans. In the cold months, plug in a couple of portable heat stands. Max capacity of around 500 and you need a game ticket to get in (and be over 21). Leave about 15-20 feet or so between the top of row of the 100s sections on that side and the front face of the sports bar. Call it the "Husky Mushers Zone". Raise the HD video board over the elevated second deck and install a smaller HD video board over the student section for fans on that side of the stadium to see across.

Reaction Score
They turned the luxury suites in the south endzone of Dolphins Stadium (or whatever it is called) into a nightclub (LIV like the one at the Fountainbleu)...so whatever works.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
That has to be one of the ugliest old stadiums in the country. It looks like it smells bad.
Granted, its been 10 years or so since I've been there, but it's a good place to watch a game. I do remember the damn whistle........it's LOUD!

And no unusual bad smells.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
With a bit of fencing, tents, large flat screen TV's and food trucks, the scoreboard area could be ready by the BYU game. This could be a temporary approach until The teams upcoming success fills the stadium for every game. Then a permanent solution which includes more seating at that end could be built.

Reaction Score
And here I thought that the whole concourse at the Rent was already a party area, especially around the jumbotrom.:cool:

Reaction Score
Tearing down part of stadium before it collapses is a very cool idea.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Granted, its been 10 years or so since I've been there, but it's a good place to watch a game. I do remember the damn whistle...it's LOUD!

And no unusual bad smells.

Oh man, your avatar set off my laugh box.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The new Tulane stadium also includes something like this I think. I think access is limited to maybe season ticket holders, or requires a "membership" of some sort. What ever happened to going to the stadium to, oh I don't know, watch the game?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The new Tulane stadium also includes something like this I think. I think access is limited to maybe season ticket holders, or requires a "membership" of some sort. What ever happened to going to the stadium to, oh I don't know, watch the game?

It died. The world changes.

Reaction Score
As someone who sits at that end of the stadium, yes it would be cool. However, they will need to do something about traffic at that end. Getting around there before the game and during halftime can be congested and during the UM game it was nearly impossible. I was at my seat 35 minutes before the UM game and it was still difficult. As long as they can organize it, I'm all for it. By the way, Gillette Stadium is doing something like this too.

Reaction Score
Whaler is right, as he said in another thread, this new generation doesn't want to spectate as much as they want to be spectated. Vines, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. They want to be followed, seen, liked, favorited, and reposted/re-tweeted by as many people as possible.

Management needs to make them more interactive. The AD's social media people should be favoriting, posting, reposting, re-tweeting, and doing everything they can to feature the students and young alumni at the games, not just the players.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler is right, as he said in another thread, this new generation doesn't want to spectate as much as they want to be spectated. Vines, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc. They want to be followed, seen, liked, favorited, and reposted/re-tweeted by as many people as possible.

Management needs to make them more interactive. The AD's social media people should be favoriting, posting, reposting, re-tweeting, and doing everything they can to feature the students and young alumni at the games, not just the players.

I've been to more conferences about managing Millenials than I'd like to remember.

I might not have the answers on how to reach them, but I do know it isn't what UConn has been doing for the last decade.

You want the younger demographic? It has to be about them, not you.

Hell I'd go all in on in-game stuff. You like tinder? First quarter intermission we bring a female out and on the screen you show male students until she says 'right'.

The pregame videos wouldn't be football montages. They would be great moments from the student section. Pick 6's against Duke and Pitt that the student section helped create.

Vines from the parking lots. Tweets of the day. Create a damn facebook page for every game and post their dumb pictures - most liked picture wins a prize with actual value.

Oregon literally built a program on fancy uniforms and marketing. They get millions of people to watch their mascot dance to mediocre songs. Get creative.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I've been to more conferences about managing Millenials than I'd like to remember.

I might not have the answers on how to reach them, but I do know it isn't what UConn has been doing for the last decade.

You want the younger demographic? It has to be about them, not you.

Hell I'd go all in on in-game stuff. You like tinder? First quarter intermission we bring a female out and on the screen you show male students until she says 'right'.

The pregame videos wouldn't be football montages. They would be great moments from the student section. Pick 6's against Duke and Pitt that the student section helped create.

Vines from the parking lots. Tweets of the day. Create a damn facebook page for every game and post their dumb pictures - most liked picture wins a prize with actual value.

Oregon literally built a program on fancy uniforms and marketing. They get millions of people to watch their mascot dance to mediocre songs. Get creative.

as a millenial I think all of this is actually a great idea. I'll add this- a lot of kids my age are used to being catered to. They don't really want to do something that might take more effort (ie staying the whole game) they would rather go back and watch the second half from Teds.

Most kids I know hadn't been to a UConn football game until they went to UConn. When I hosted our dad's tailgate for Rutgers last fall, 95% of the dads I talked to said it was their first UConn football game. I think if the athletic department continues to get young families involved thats the way to go. The dads I talked to all had a great time at the game and said they were likely to come back to another if we had a similar set up (dads tailgate) but I would be curious to see how to get some of that joy they had at the dads tailgate and turn it into season ticket holders.

The other thing is like mentioned in other posts people just don't care about certain games/coaches. I think this will change under Diaco and the schedule this year (were actually playing some real good teams at home, homecoming against UCF are you kidding?) People are extremely fired up for BYU. Win that one/be competitive and Stony Brook will be full, as will Boise and Temple. But even I left halfway through the third quarter of the Towson game, it was awful.

Bottom line:

Social media is your friend. Kids like free stuff and to be catered to- do it. Doesn't matter if you think it isn't how it should be, its how it is in today's society. Market the hell out of games against ECU, Houston, Cincy, USF, UCF (really these are the most attractive football teams from a student standpoint).

My last suggestion would be to change the lottery system for basketball to a "points" based system that awarded people points for attending other sporting events. Swipe your card during each quarter and the longer you're there for, the more points you get (ie 1 point for swiping during first quarter, 2 during second, 3 during third, 4 during fourth) and you can swipe once per quarter. This would encourage people to stay in the rent and also attend other sporting events like volleyball, hockey, etc by assigning non football events a standard point value. The more points you have, the better shot you have at basketball season tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom