OT: Confederations Cup | The Boneyard

OT: Confederations Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
For any of you interested in some good soccer (football, futbol :D), the final for the Confederations Cup is this Sunday on ESPN at 6:00 PM (in Brazil so no dramatic time change). The host Brazil takes on reigning World Cup and European Cup Champion, Spain.

The semis took place over the past 2 days. Brazil defeating Uruguay 2-1 in an exiting and somewhat contentious match. Spain had to go to Kicks From The Mark (Penalty Kicks) after 120 min of a scoreless game with Italy, winning 7-6. Good game, quite a few chances, even though it was scoreless.

The final will pit Spain's Tiki-taka (small passing, movement, ball possession) against Brazil's Samba (Joga Bonito - lots of flair, the beautiful game) football - although not as much as they used to. Spain uses many players from Barcelona who also play the Tiki-taka style also (Xavi, Iniesta, Pedro, Busquets, Pique - who is Shakira's partner, and Fabregas). And for the ladies, Google Jesus Navas eyes, that should be enough to get you to tune in. ;)

Brazil is lead by the wonder kid, Neymar. A young (21 yo), rising star (think the next Ronaldinho, the next Messi), who just transferred from the Brazilian power Santos to the world power Barcelona for around 57 million Euros. Yes, Sunday he will be playing against many of his soon to be club teammates. Other players to watch from The Selecao (The Selection - their most popular nickname), Oscar (another youngster), Fred, Hulk (and yes the name fits), David Luiz (you'll recognize him with his Sideshow Bob hairstyle) and Dani Alves (another Barcelona player).

If Spain were to win, they would hold 3 of the biggest titles in the world at the same time. The Confederations Cup is a small (8 teams) tournament played the year before the World Cup in the host nation, kind of as a warm up. It involves the current WC Champ (Spain), host nation (Brazil) and the winners of the six confederations; UEFA (Europe, Italy since Spain is already invited), CONMOBEL (S. America, Uruguay), CONCACAF (North and Central America, Mexico), CAF (Africa, Nigeria), AFC (Asia, Japan), and OFC (Oceania, Tahiti, how they made it, I have no idea). Interesting with Tahiti, they have 1 professional player on their National team. But what an experience for the rest of the team to say they played Spain in a game. (Yea they got beaten like a drum, 10-0, but what a story to tell your kids.)

So for a taste of next years World Cup, tune in on Sunday. Should be a very good game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Brazil defeating Uruguay 2-1 in an exiting and somewhat contentious match.
Great review for the mass of ignorant BYers, and secretly I hope that my obnoxious neighbor does not get unfurl his 12 foot long Spanish flag once again.

But to snit you on the above line, are you saying that a lot of players were exited from the match with red cards for foul contentious behavior? If so, I'm sure the match couldn't have been that exciting.:rolleyes:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Good stuff..!! This Spain team is one for the ages.... strong back to front, experienced... Brasil (they spell it with an "s") is just young and daring...you gave a great description of the contrast in style of play..maybe a preview of World Cup final..?? Double check me, but the PK final was 6-5 right? :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
and secretly I hope that my obnoxious neighbor does not get unfurl his 12 foot long Spanish flag once again.
Viva La Furia Roja! :)

But to snit you on the above line, are you saying that a lot of players were exited from the match with red cards for foul contentious behavior? If so, I'm sure the match couldn't have been that exciting.:rolleyes:
No red cards, 5 yellows. Brazil and Uruguay don't really like each other. At least in Futbol.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Viva La Furia Roja! :)

No red cards, 5 yellows. Brazil and Uruguay don't really like each other. At least in Futbol.
Looks like they had a little war back around the same time as the American Civil War. Maybe it's time for another of those football wars like the one back in 1969.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Looks like they had a little war back around the same time as the American Civil War. Maybe it's time for another of those football wars like the one back in 1969.
Also Uruguay beat Brazil to win the WC, in Brazil, in 1950.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Tahiti made it because Australia moved out of the Oceania federation due to lack of competition.

Spain is the most dominant national team I've ever seen, and might be the most dominant ever. What's scary for the rest of the world is that their U-21 team is also amazing, and those players will be able to fill the veterans' roles in the next few years, continuing the dynasty...

Viva Iker Casillas!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tahiti made it because Australia moved out of the Oceania federation due to lack of competition.
hmmm, that kinda like thinking Providence is going to win the Big East next year because UCONN moved out. ;)

Spain is the most dominant national team I've ever seen, and might be the most dominant ever. What's scary for the rest of the world is that their U-21 team is also amazing, and those players will be able to fill the veterans' roles in the next few years, continuing the dynasty...
They are good and do have a lot coming up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Follow up. Decent game. Brazil took it to Spain and Spain didn't really have an answer. 3-0. Brazil's plan was to press Spain and foul them if they started to get into any rhythm. They fouled with impudence and without much reaction from the ref. That and with Spain having to play 120 minutes in the Semi and with a day's less rest, and in Brazil in front of their fans, and Brazil pretty much dominated. Spain looked out of whack all game.

Fred scored first goal in a cluster as he lay on the ground while the ball bounced a foot in front of the keeper (Casillas). Nehmar had a beautiful strike for the second goal. And Fred again slid a low one past Casillas that had people wondering what Casillas was doing. Brazil's keeper (Cesar) made a couple good saves, Spain missed a PK and when Pique was sent off (Red Card), it was over for Spain.

Unfortunately for Brazil, no one who has ever won the Confederations Cup has gone on to win the World Cup the next year. We'll have to see?

Good game, up and down, lot's of talent out on the field.

Next up for us (and US) soccer fans, the Gold Cup. Starting this weekend. USA vs. Belize June 9th. Maybe I'll write something up on that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
In the course of following the political unrest in Turkey, I have come across the Turkish football scandal. It seems that both Fenerbache and Besiktas have been banned from European competition for two years and one year, respectively, on account of serious charges of bribery. The charge is that both clubs were paying members of opposing teams to take dives against them. The Fenerbache team owner and about 20 others are facing criminal charges. I am wondering if the scandal might spread to the teams of other counties.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yeah, decent game, justice that Spain's PK went wide because of that dive job even if the Brazilian defender should not have given him a reason to flop, and my neighbor's flag stayed unfurled for some reason.

Gotta wonder about the refereeing though in this sport. No calls on repeated back court violations, they missed continuous kicked ball violations, and the height of the goal seemed to be about 8 ft. rather than that 10 ft. height we have been discussing here a lot lately. Odd game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yeah, decent game, justice that Spain's PK went wide because of that dive job even if the Brazilian defender should not have given him a reason to flop, and my neighbor's flag stayed unfurled for some reason.
Like by fouling him?? ;)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Like by fouling him?? ;)
Your foul is my little touch and a "oh, I have been mortally and evilly stabbed and must now do my swan dive to the depths far below" act. The laughs by the Brazilians were genuine however, though they really appreciate a good three-goal pounding more than Errol Flynn dramatic impersonation.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your foul is my little touch and a "oh, I have been mortally and evilly stabbed and must now do my swan dive to the depths far below" act. The laughs by the Brazilians were genuine however, though they really appreciate a good three-goal pounding more than Errol Flynn dramatic impersonation.
I'll agree Navas embellished (kind of like Neymar does, well not that much), but he got clipped decently.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Everytime I see this thread I think it is another Civil War thread.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Brazil, no one who has ever won the Confederations Cup has gone on to win the World Cup the next year. We'll have to see?

Yes, but every WC held in the Western Hemisphere has been won by a South American team.
Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay each with 2 wins.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, but every WC held in the Western Hemisphere has been won by a South American team.
Yep, the European's have trouble away from their home. Except they did ok in S Africa.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Combining the factors, it looks like Argentina should win the next WC then. Ranked #3 now in FIFA. And Brazil is at #22 (before CONCAF)? I know some fans sneer at those rankings, but wow.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Combining the factors, it looks like Argentina should win the next WC then. Ranked #3 now in FIFA. And Brazil is at #22 (before CONCAF)? I know some fans sneer at those rankings, but wow.
I wouldn't mind seeing Argentina win a WC. And Brazil will move up considerably when they are updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom