OT - Colognes/Perfumes whats your fav, if any? | The Boneyard

OT - Colognes/Perfumes whats your fav, if any?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
mine are:

Men...
PRFM-140495.jpg

Women... (I dont wear it, just enjoy it on a woman)
PRFM-136138.jpg

Reaction Score
On Me - La Vie Est Belle by Lancome

On My Husband - Polo by Ralph Lauren (the green one), Drakkar or Chrome

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
None, actually. But if my wife used anything, I think it was called Jonquel. I was given a Polo product many years ago and rather liked it, but my wife didn't (on me).

I worked a college summer in a Chanel factory - on the lines that bottled the product - and this soured my view of scents. Conversely, a fraternity brother that also worked that summer went into the industry, as a scientist developing scents. We lost touch, but he had posted a brief "bio" to a fraternity facebook.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wore Stetson for like 25 years. But then I got remarried. Her dad wore Stetson, sooooo......

Now I wear Azzaro Chrome. She likes it. It's fine for me.

She wears Light Blue by D&G. Not my favorite, but it reminds me of her.

Reaction Score
None, actually. But if my wife used anything, I think it was called Jonquel. I was given a Polo product many years ago and rather liked it, but my wife didn't (on me).

I worked a college summer in a Chanel factory - on the lines that bottled the product - and this soured my view of scents. Conversely, a fraternity brother that also worked that summer went into the industry, as a scientist developing scents. We lost touch, but he had posted a brief "bio" to a fraternity facebook.

I'm a fan of Chanel (I call it channel) but I prefer my current Ode Horse barn--or Ode work . My wife prefers Chanel over my choices.
I'm no scientist--I just developed these by doing.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wore Stetson for like 25 years. But then I got remarried. Her dad wore Stetson, sooooo.

Now I wear Azzaro Chrome. She likes it. It's fine for me.

She wears Light Blue by D&G. Not my favorite, but it reminds me of her.
I hear Chrome is good, I gotta check it out

D&G is very popular

Reaction Score
I used to collect as a hobby and over the last few years have whittled it down to about seven hundred bottles. Having a favorite will probably never happen but there's about forty or fifty I use more than others. Hard to keep track. And if you think I'm bad I stay in touch with quite a few folks online who have thousands, literally thousands of bottles. This stuff is worse than crack I tells yah.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
For the men - anything clean and fresh smelling
  1. Aqua de Gio
  2. John Varvatos - Artisan
There are others, but those are the 2 best (I have an ex who worked at Nordstrom and those are 2 of the best in that genre). Which leads me to the more expensive and less common colognes:
  1. Bond - Fire Island - It's a ridiculously great smelling summer cologne that is clean/fresh but also with a faint hint of that great "sun tan lotion" smell that you get from the beach
  2. Bond - Scent of Peace - Super clean and fresh with just a hint of sweetness to the scent
The thing about Bond colognes which makes them more expensive is that their base is less alcohol and more oil, so the scent will literally stick with you till the next morning when you shower. Not overpowering, but just soooo awesome (IMHO)...

For the women - meh. A very old one that is still a classic IMHO is Paloma Picasso. Another perfume that is more oil than alcohol and will last longer than most. Then there's Coco Channel Mademoiselle - can't go wrong with that one either...

Reaction Score
A lot of women douse themselves in perfume, it's only supposed to be a hint. Strong perfume gets my asthma going. I have never used perfume except when I was much younger.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
For the men - anything clean and fresh smelling
  1. Aqua de Gio
  2. John Varvatos - Artisan
There are others, but those are the 2 best (I have an ex who worked at Nordstrom and those are 2 of the best in that genre). Which leads me to the more expensive and less common colognes:
  1. Bond - Fire Island - It's a ridiculously great smelling summer cologne that is clean/fresh but also with a faint hint of that great "sun tan lotion" smell that you get from the beach
  2. Bond - Scent of Peace - Super clean and fresh with just a hint of sweetness to the scent
The thing about Bond colognes which makes them more expensive is that their base is less alcohol and more oil, so the scent will literally stick with you till the next morning when you shower. Not overpowering, but just soooo awesome (IMHO)...

For the women - meh. A very old one that is still a classic IMHO is Paloma Picasso. Another perfume that is more oil than alcohol and will last longer than most. Then there's Coco Channel Mademoiselle - can't go wrong with that one either...
gotta research that stuff... so I can make sure I'm getting my monies worth, shouldn't have to respray after 4hrs. Thanks for the info

Reaction Score
I used to collect as a hobby and over the last few years have whittled it down to about seven hundred bottles. Having a favorite will probably never happen but there's about forty or fifty I use more than others. Hard to keep track. And if you think I'm bad I stay in touch with quite a few folks online who have thousands, literally thousands of bottles. This stuff is worse than crack I tells yah.

Guitars, audio recording and playing equipment, and scent, all dangerou$ to collect.

I like Green Irish Tweed and Bvlgari Aqua Marine Toniq, but Cool Waters is a 'scent bomb' if you're looking for something that lasts.

Reaction Score
gotta research that stuff... so I can make sure I'm getting my monies worth, shouldn't have to respray after 4hrs. Thanks for the info
This is just a crude rule of thumb idea of the differences. Not every company or individual perfumer adheres to these percentages and in the end your milage will vary based on your skin PH and how it interacts with the fragrance in use.

Perfume oil or pure perfume (15-30% perfume oil in an oil base), you won't usually see this for sale since it's what the manufacturers use in making their products. If you do happen across any for sale it's either hot or faked so buyer beware. This would actually be a bad thing to spray on your skin and would cause rashes or worse.

Parfum (perfume or extrait - 15-25% perfume oil in alcohol base), very few things marketed for men in this strength but there are a few made for women that actually smell pretty good on male skin. Read up on them, decide which notes you like based on current preferences and then buy samples first.

Eau de Parfum or EDP (8-15% perfume oil), these are still mostly for women but you will find more things for men being released as EDP. Again, try to sample them first since you may have and like the EDT version and think that this will be the same thing but last two or three times as long but find it to almost be a totally different scent.

Eau de Toilette or EDT (4-10% perfume oil), Most fragrances are sold in this formulation. Depending on the house or manufacturer you should get five to eight hours from them depending on outside temps, perspiration, and how much wound up on your shirt or t-shirt.

Eau de Cologne or EDC (2-5% perfume oil) this is the stuff your grandfather splashed on before heading out. A good one lasts about as long as it takes to walk down the block, cross the street and find a stool at the bar. Another kind of liquid courage, so to speak.

and finally After Shave and Eau Fraiche (perfume mist / splash - 3% or less perfume oil)." also includes shower gels and soaps, makes the bathroom smell great while the bubbles last but once they're down the drain so is that great smell. Kind of sums up the whole industry, short lived and it's your money that always goes down the drain. But there for a little while it's all worth it...

Reaction Score
I mostly wear Givenchy Amarige.

I also wore Jo Malone Vanilla Anise (in the summer), but they've recently discontinued it and while the folks at Nordstrom and Jo Malone in Columbus Circle are doing their best to convince me otherwise, I haven't found anything to replace it.

Reaction Score
No challenge - Eau to Big 12 - A snappy breath of fresh scent that excites all, with a huge commutative effect as time goes on.

Reaction Score
I don't wear perfume usually but I like light jasmine flavor. Any perfume or cologne with light jasmine scent are my favorites.
- Bond No. 9 New York B9
- Parfums De Marly Godolphin Royal Essence

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is just a crude rule of thumb idea of the differences. Not every company or individual perfumer adheres to these percentages and in the end your milage will vary based on your skin PH and how it interacts with the fragrance in use.

Perfume oil or pure perfume (15-30% perfume oil in an oil base), you won't usually see this for sale since it's what the manufacturers use in making their products. If you do happen across any for sale it's either hot or faked so buyer beware. This would actually be a bad thing to spray on your skin and would cause rashes or worse.

Parfum (perfume or extrait - 15-25% perfume oil in alcohol base), very few things marketed for men in this strength but there are a few made for women that actually smell pretty good on male skin. Read up on them, decide which notes you like based on current preferences and then buy samples first.

Eau de Parfum or EDP (8-15% perfume oil), these are still mostly for women but you will find more things for men being released as EDP. Again, try to sample them first since you may have and like the EDT version and think that this will be the same thing but last two or three times as long but find it to almost be a totally different scent.

Eau de Toilette or EDT (4-10% perfume oil), Most fragrances are sold in this formulation. Depending on the house or manufacturer you should get five to eight hours from them depending on outside temps, perspiration, and how much wound up on your shirt or t-shirt.

Eau de Cologne or EDC (2-5% perfume oil) this is the stuff your grandfather splashed on before heading out. A good one lasts about as long as it takes to walk down the block, cross the street and find a stool at the bar. Another kind of liquid courage, so to speak.

and finally After Shave and Eau Fraiche (perfume mist / splash - 3% or less perfume oil)." also includes shower gels and soaps, makes the bathroom smell great while the bubbles last but once they're down the drain so is that great smell. Kind of sums up the whole industry, short lived and it's your money that always goes down the drain. But there for a little while it's all worth it...
I googled (and read) this exact article a few days ago... thanks

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Men's: Elite by Floris, though it isn't available in the States any more.

Women's: I have no clue, but my mom used to use so much Oscar de la Renta, you could smell her coming a block away. This is why I use very little cologne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom