OT: college dilemma | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: college dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Clearly you failed as a father and you daughter is just acting out. Remember that night in '99 when she had kindergarten in the morning but was kept up all night by you screaming at the tv? She certainly does. I'd squash this whole thing before she gets a blue devil tramp stamp next.

Reaction Score
So are UVA and Michigan, the other public's in that range.

Even though UVa and Michigan are a cut above UNC, I still would not pay that money for state schools that are shredding their standards as they try to save money.

Reaction Score
We've ripped Duke's heart out twice. Coach K would be sitting on six titles were it not for Shocking The World and the late comeback in 2004 (I assume they would have beaten Georgia Tech). They ripped ours out once and got an epic beatdown from UNLV for their troubles.

So, yeah - let her go to Duke. Academically first rate. At this point, we should be indifferent. They have been our roadkill for 67 percent of our titles, and it would have been 100 percent if they didn't lay down for Arizona to avoid us.

Duke fan parents should be horrified if their kid goes to UConn - I will say that. We've been a big time thorn in their side. Less so the other way around. The loss in 1990 hurt like a mofo, but the wins (plural) were all the sweeter.

Also - take a look at Davidson, if you haven't already (and also if it fits your daughter's academic needs). Smaller school, but top-notch academics and a likeable coach and underdog hoops team.

Reaction Score
Even though UVa and Michigan are a cut above UNC, I still would not pay that money for state schools that are shredding their standards as they try to save money.
Not sure what a cut about means, but all are ranked within 5 spots of each other per US News and Mich and UNC are separated by 1 spot. Not that these rankings are everything.

Reaction Score
Not sure what a cut about means, but all are ranked within 5 spots of each other per US News and Mich and UNC are separated by 1 spot. Not that these rankings are everything.

I pay no attention to those rankings at all. Michigan and Virginia are above according to NSF rankings and a variety of other rankings. There is almost no comparison. But I'll say this again: these schools are slashing education for undergrads and moving toward online education quickly. State schools are becoming rather dysfunctional, and many of these schools are developing internal honors programs to ringfence their best students in the same fashion that inner-city school systems create magnet schools, and yes, honor systems. Unless my kid was admitted to an honors program, I would not overpay for education at a state school. it will still be an option for the price (i.e. in-state) but definitely not out-of-state.

Reaction Score
Let her go to Duke -- heck, encourage her to go to Duke. Then, when you're done moving her in to the dorm, walk in to Cameron, squat down, and take a dump at center court.

Reaction Score
yea but she wont have to read a full book at uconn and she could make some $ off laptops also.

Is it the fact you were not admissable to UConn that drives your insane posts? Please tell us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
08_1_whos_next.jpg

Just sayin.

Reaction Score
If she's looking at UNC she should maybe consider uva. Schools are almost identical in all aspects but I can say I enjoyed Charlottesville more than chapel hill as a student

Reaction Score
I hear ya. I finished applying to grad schols, and as much as it pained me, I applied to BC. Or Univerisity of Massachusetts Boston College State University (UMBCSU) as its referred to here. Its a great program, but I honestly dont know how I could root for their athletics.

Reaction Score
I hear ya. I finished applying to grad schols, and as much as it pained me, I applied to BC. Or Univerisity of Massachusetts Boston College State University (UMBCSU) as its referred to here. Its a great program, but I honestly dont know how I could root for their athletics.
I wouldn't worry about that since none of the BCU students do! Have you seen their student sections at games?

BDhDeQCCcAArxWD.jpg-large-480x360.jpg

PWS

Reaction Score
If she's looking at UNC she should maybe consider uva. Schools are almost identical in all aspects but I can say I enjoyed Charlottesville more than chapel hill as a student

College experience depends on all sorts of things, so I am sure you liked Charlottesville but I have to disagree. I went to UNC and lived in Charlottesville for 3 years and as college towns they are not close. Chapel is way better than Charlottesville. UVA is a beautiful campus, but if you get more than a mile from it, Charlottesville is really lacking.

Reaction Score
As her parent, I'm sure you want to do everything possible to make her "dream school" attainable. Even if it means selling your organs to send her to the University of New Jersey at Durham. *shudders*

Having attended a comparably "elite," comparably priced private research U. in the Midwest; dropped out; worked for 10 years; returned there as an adult student; and worked for several years at the University while earning my degree...I've seen a lot of smart people come and go. The wisdom of investing in a $200,000 education probably depends on what field she wants to go into and what personality type she has.

In the STEM fields, the top-ranked national universities tend to have the best combination of facilities, grant awards, and endowed professorships (read: genius faculty) to accomplish interesting research. The occupational outlook for that industry is trending up, so she may not have to starve. Business, IMO, tends to be a clubby industry where the name on the degree determines a lot about who recruits you coming out of college.

At our school, there are students and parents paying $200K for the theatre performance program. Maybe 0.00001% of that population is gainfully employed at any given time. So look at the unemployment rate and median entry-level salary for her industry before you let her do something "drastic," like apply ED to Duke.

The other thing to consider is if she's a extroverted type who moves through diverse social groups easily--or an introvert who requires time to form trusted, close-knit relationships. In my observation, we lost more kids to transfers at our school because they couldn't find their social niche than because they couldn't do the work. (HS seniors today worry about being untouchable if they haven't found their clique after orientation week. Which is absurd, but...)

Is she considering any liberal arts colleges? Kids sometimes avoid them because they anticipate "High School 2.0." Or parents confuse "small school" with "mediocre education." If she's hard-working but quiet, there's a big difference between a 30:1 student-faculty ratio in a first-year survey course at a small college vs. 600:1 at Big State U. Peer-wise, I would think that being in a small community where the same faces with the same interests show up at the same events tends to favor strong relationship formation.

At the end of the day, education is a journey. Lots of kids set themselves up to fail by building expectations around "my perfect fit": perfect degree program, perfect freshman dorm, perfect club officer position, perfect fraternity/sorority, etc. So try to keep her expectations realistic if she starts obsessing that School A is dream--so that she'll be ready to engage and learn if School B is the reality.

Reaction Score
Have spent the last few days touring colleges in the southeast w my daughter. Today was UNC and Dook. As much as it pains me, and it pains me greatly (I wouldn't even go in the bookstore and I covered my ears whenever they talked about hoops), Dook is a pretty damn impressive school. So if she gets in, can I even consider letting her go?? UNC was pretty impressive too, but it wouldn't bother me at all if she wanted to go there, and she didn't like it that much anyway. Friday is Georgetown, that also wouldn't bother me.....only Dook really bothers me. Any pearls of wisdom on how to handle??

Your daughter is obviously very bright. Why not let her decide and you live with her choice.

Reaction Score
College experience depends on all sorts of things, so I am sure you liked Charlottesville but I have to disagree. I went to UNC and lived in Charlottesville for 3 years and as college towns they are not close. Chapel is way better than Charlottesville. UVA is a beautiful campus, but if you get more than a mile from it, Charlottesville is really lacking.
I'm the opposite. Went to UVA and currently live in chapel hill. Its definitely different once u get off campus but I loved having the blue ridge so close

Reaction Score
We toured UVA today...it is the new leader in the clubhouse...Georgetown tomorrow. It is an exhausting process, but blessed to be seeing so many great schools.

And to the person who suggested peeing on Cameron indoor, don't think it never entered my mind. Hearing the tour guide talk about "tent city" made me want to puke...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Of course Storrs is lacking 1/4 mile from campus.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
Just add Kentucky in there and I completely agree
My son was offered a full ride to Kentucky's School of Engineering. He couldn't do it and I gladly paid for him to go Miami of Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom