OT: Coffee Roasters? | The Boneyard

OT: Coffee Roasters?

Reaction Score
Any home barristas out there? We like espresso and cappuccino. Unfortunately the local roasted coffee I’ve been buying for years is no longer meeting my needs. I’ll still use their regular coffee, but I need a new roaster for espresso. Might someone here have an opinion or recommemdation? Thanks in advance!

Reaction Score
Happy Mug: Happy Mug

They sell unroasted beans and their roasts are great too. You can get high quality beans and roasts for wholesale prices. Many roasters and coffee shops source from them. So might as well just go to the source.

Reaction Score

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Any home barristas out there? We like espresso and cappuccino. Unfortunately the local roasted coffee I’ve been buying for years is no longer meeting my needs. I’ll still use their regular coffee, but I need a new roaster for espresso. Might someone here have an opinion or recommemdation? Thanks in advance!
Are you looking for traditional bitter-ish dark roasted Italian-style or something more contemporary made with a lighter roast?

If you want a new hobby and have a garage or someplace with great ventiliation, invest in a Behmor and roast your own. I had one of the original 2000 models for years, probably roasted a couple hundred pounds on that thing, even sold some at farmer's markets. The new Jake model looks amazing. If I were still in the business, I'd have one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the last year I've been using the La marzocco subscription. It's usually two bags of fresh roasted whole bean coffee a month from roasters all around the US. They roast on the first of the month and then usually a week or two later it arrives at my house. Kinda pricey but I love the variety of what they pick, and it's all extremely fresh.

Reaction Score
There is this place:

Perkatory Coffee Roasters

Locations in Middletown and Southington. No idea on taste quality etc. Give them a try.
I have a cup of Perkatory's Honduras single origin in my hand as I type this. The owners are awesome people, I highly recommend everything they brew and they have an espresso roast for OP's request. And a trip to the original Middletown location with a stop next door at Eli Cannon's is one my favorite ways to spend a day.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My wife is voting for the lighter roast, so thats my vote too
When I'm back in CT, almost all my time is spent in Ffld Cty, and NEAT in Darien is my morning home. Co-owner Kyle is one of the top 5 most awesome people I know. Not only roasts, but he co-owns a coffee farm in S. America and a green coffee exporting company. I also go to Lorca for coffee & churros, but I'm not sure what coffee they use now as last time I was there was 5 years ago.

That said, J. Rene, Perkatory, Krafted, and Daybreak are or were all popular with the espresso geek community. No idea if any closed during pandemic.

If you're not set on just CT roasters, Whole Foods (at least in our area) offers solid prices on Intelligentsia Black Cat and various Counter Culture and Ceremony espressos. They're like $13 per 12oz here in Pittsburgh and within a month of roast, which will still be lively. Can't go wrong with those and they're always a good baseline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom