OT: Coaching Story | The Boneyard

OT: Coaching Story

Reaction Score
So I was just a little startled to see a post or two expressing dissatisfaction with Coach Cav in the last few weeks. You know, the usual stuff. He has been good to get us this far, but may not be the guy to get us to the next level. That kinda off-hand comment.

That prompted some vigorous pushback by some, but still it is out there. Personally I think it is nuts. But let me relate a little tale about my own alma mater, Clarkson.

Two years ago, Casey Jones' contract had run its five year course and there was a debate on whether to renew it. I don't give enough to Clarkson to get a vote and besides, everything I give goes to the Alpine and Nordic skiing programs. But an alumni relations person cruised through the area during that time and she was clearly gathering data. I said, on the topic, that although progress had not been as fast as hoped, that there had been progress and he deserved an extension, especially considering that the North Country schools now have to contend with recruiting headwinds that didn't exist back in Clarkson's glory days.

In the final event, Jones' contract was renewed.

Today Clarkson sits at number 3 in the USCHO poll and tied at number 1 in the Pairwise Rankings. The last time they were ranked this high was in 1966 or 1972, can't remember. Do I think this good fortune will last? Nope, although I hope like hell it will. As GE is finding out these days -- after being schooled by Siemens -- you gotta be in it for the long haul. Take the long view.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99
Top Bottom