OT: Classic films | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Classic films

Reaction Score
There was a screwball comedy done in 1938 called "Bringing Up Baby" that starred Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. The supporting cast was wonderful. I think it did not get a great reception when it was released, but since then it is widely recognized for its zany plot and talented cast of characters. My wife and I watch it whenever we need a pickup. Think we will be watching it a lot in the near future! :rolleyes::D
What was the gender of Baby. Now that a whole new tail.

Reaction Score
SVC's (in order of like)
1. It's a Wonderful Life
2. Sunset Boulevard
3. The Grapes of Wrath

Mrs. SVC's
1. Gone with the Wind
1. Gone with the Wind
1. Gone with the Wind
etc., etc., etc.

A couple just out of bounds for me
12 Angry Men
The Flight of the Phoenix
I GO with 1 (both 1's) and 3. S.B. over acted for me, same is 12 A.M, I loved flying films but The flight of the Phoenix was too dragged out to keep my attention. Love Jimmy Steward. and Bill Holden.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Myrna Loy and William Powell in The Thin Man.

Oh, gods, I love those! I recently borrowed the whole set from my sister and loved them all.

Edit: Also a shoutout to trb123 for Rebecca. Great book, great movie.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Duck Soup. My Little Chickadee. The Gold Rush. Modern Times. The Third Man. A Night at the Opera. The General.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I can't forget this one. Like "Bringing Up Baby" there are too many moments where I just couldn't stop laughing. I mean oh man, the way he reaches for that pen. For anyone that has ever found that dream hole in the ground into which they have poured money.

Reaction Score
Bogart in Sahara (WWII tank drama)
Bogart in Casablanca
Dana Andrews in The Purple Heart (WWII flyers captured by Japanese on trial)
Dana Andrews in A Walk In The Sun (WWII soldiers in Italy)
John Wayne in Stage Coach (Western, it made John Wayne a Star)
I agree with EasyEd above on Gone With The Wind, The Wizard Of Oz, Miracle On 34th St., It's A Wonderful Life,
John Wayne in The Searchers
Gene Kelly & Lana Turner in The 3 Musketeers
James Cagney in Yankee Doodle Dandy
John Wayne in Sands Of Iwo Jima
Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce in any Sherlock Holmes (13)
Cary Grant in Gunga Din

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
My familiarity with pre-1950 movies is limited; my preferred period is 1950-to the mid-1970's. The pre-50's flicks that made an impression on me are listed below. I included in most cases the director and the stars along with the date of release. At my age my memory has a lot of gaps, so I had to look up most of the dates -- in part to verify that they were released before 1950 -- as well as directors, and actors in The American Cinema or Wikipedia.

Way Down East (D.W. Griffith, starring [the ethereal] Lillian Gish & Richard Barthelmess, 1920) Sort of a Thomas Hardy type story as a silent film.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1927). The one where buildings keep collapsing on Buster.

Shanghai Express (Joseph von Sternberg, starring Marlene Dietrich 1932) Because it's visually outstanding.

Roberta (William Seiter, starring Astaire/Rogers & Irene Dunne, 1935) Ginger singing Hard to Handle with a weird Russian accent is my favorite bit.

Libeled Lady (Jack Conway, starring Jean Harlow, Myrna Loy & Spencer Tracy, 1936) The stars drive this screwball comedy.

The Awful Truth (Leo McCarey, starring Cary Grant & Irene Dunne, 1937)

Grand Illusion (Jean Renoir, starring Jean Gabin, Erich von Stroheim, & Pierre Fresnay, 1937)

Swing Time (George Stevens, starring Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers, 1937) The first number with Ginger Rogers in a black dress (the movie is b/w so maybe it's just supposed to be dark) and high heels versus Fred Astaire is really something. It was my introduction to the Astaire/Rogers series.

Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir (who also has a major role), 1939) Saw this again recently; it gets deeper every time I see it. Upper class hunting party on the eve of the war, not knowing their world is about to collapse. Renoir didn't foresee that eventually inequality would be restored big time in the next century.

The Wizard of Oz (Victor Fleming; George Cukor did some work on this, but Fleming gets director's credits; starring Judy Garland, 1939) Saw this in the early 50's when I was a child and hadn't seen many color movies, if any, so the door opening into Oz was a big deal. Also, the witch terrified me.

The Women (George Cukor, starring Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, & Norma Shearer 1939) All female ensemble, like women's bball. Based on a stage play by Clare Boothe, who later married Henry Luce of Time and Life (ask grandpa about these influential print publications) Not really a big fan of Gone with the Wind.

The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch, starring Jimmy Stewart & Margaret Sullavan 1940) Another good one is To Be or Not to Be, but this one is so sweet.

The Lady Eve (Preston Sturgess, starring Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda, 1941) Stanwyck always seems to light up a movie, and she made plenty of them; they often surface on TCM. She seems to have consistently played sharp, intelligent women in all of them. Probably my favorite actor from this period (which included Hepburn and Myrna Loy).

Day of Wrath (Carl Dreyer, 1943) About witch hunting in 17th century (?) Denmark -- with Europe under the Nazis as an underlying theme. The scariest part is how the stress of the persecution culture sucks people into the dark side.

The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks, starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, 1946) A film noir based on a Raymond Chandler detective novel; William Faulkner worked on the script; since it's about a crazy double-dealing family, you can guess the attraction.

Letter from an Unknown Woman (Max Ophuls, starring Joan Fontaine & Louis Jourdan, 1949) A really dark film. I believe Caught with James Mason is also from this period. Ophuls' movies from the early 50's are OT, but if you haven't seen them, they're really good: La Ronde, Le Plaisir, Earrings of Madame de ...

I left off Bringing Up Baby because I've only seen it once, and quite recently. It was excellent, though.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Mr Smith Goes To Washington (the immortal Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur)
Mr Deeds Goes To Town (Ms Arthur and Gary Cooper)
The Plainsman (another Arthur/Cooper pairing and my favorite pre-1950 Western)
It Happened One Night (Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert)
Woman of The Year (the first of the legendary Hepburn/Tracy pairings)

Reaction Score
My top 15 < = 1950 in no particular order:
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
The Bicycle Thief
Grand Illusion
My Man Godfrey
Gone with the Wind
Duck Soup
Grapes of Wrath
All about Eve
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Maltese Falcon
It Happened One Night
Sunset Boulevard
The Best Years of Our Lives
Rules of the Game
I would (and do) pay to watch these when they come to a revival theater. Especially if they've been remastered.

Reaction Score
This list was much more difficult in limiting to only 15.
My top 15 >1950 in no particular order:
Lost in Translation (perhaps the greatest opening scene in cinema history )
Annie Hall
Godfather (multiple)
Star Wars. (multiple)
Singing in the Rain
North by Northwest
12 Angry Men
Terminator 2
Dr. Strangelove
Taxi Driver
Aliens
Forbidden Planet
High Noon
Groundhog Day
Black Panther

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Lots of W C Fields fans here. I think he was hilarious, but my wife does not find him so. I am not sure if it is male/female thing or just that she has better taste. I loved his character's name in the Bank Dick. Egbert Sousé which he insisted was pronounced soo say! He has one of the two best elephant quotes attributed to him. He is quoted as "A woman is like an elephant to me. I like to look at them, but I wouldn't want to own one." The other, and perhaps more famous pachyderm pun was Groucho Marx's "I was in Africa recently. I shot an elephant in my pajamas one morning. How it got there I never will know." No wonder my wife rolls her eyes at me! :rolleyes:;):p

Reaction Score
>1950
Shane
We're No Angels
The Man Who Would be King
Advise and Consent
Manchurian Candidate
Failsafe
Five Days in May
Blade Runner
Shakespeare in Love
The Cider House Rules
Gladiator

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
William Powell in nearly anything..
Anne of Green Gables, the 1930's version with the actress that changed her name to Anne Shirley.

William Powell led a very interesting life. If you ever get a chance to read his biography, it would be a worthwhile read. Here are a couple highlights:

On June 26, 1931, Powell married actress Carole Lombard. The marriage lasted just over two years. They were divorced in 1933, though they, too, remained on good terms, even starring together in the screwball comedy My Man Godfrey three years later. Powell was devastated by her death in an airplane crash in 1942.[4] He was engaged to marry Jean Harlow, his co-star in Reckless (1935), until her sudden death in 1937.[5][6] On January 6, 1940, three weeks after they met, Powell married his third wife, actress Diana Lewis, to whom he remained married until his death in 1984.

In 1937, Powell was diagnosed with cancer. He underwent surgery and experimental radium treatment which put the disease in full remission within two years. Given his own health and sorrow over Jean Harlow's death, Powell did not undertake any film roles for over a year during this period.

ETA: Just found this documentary on Youtube. ( Ignore the Spanish subtitles)

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I can’t believe no one mentioned Double Indemnity. It has one of my favorite movie dialogue exchanges of all time.

Phyllis: I wonder if I know what you mean.
Walter Neff: I wonder if you wonder.

So good.
What a movie. Ms Stanwyck was chillingly good. And while I am not a huge Fred fan, he was effective in this one. Fine choice :D

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
>1950
Shane
We're No Angels
The Man Who Would be King
Advise and Consent
Manchurian Candidate
Failsafe
Five Days in May
Blade Runner
Shakespeare in Love
The Cider House Rules
Gladiator

I don't see Gladiator on a lot of lists like this, but good choice. That movie really holds up. Great acting. I think it will be a classic.

Reaction Score
William Powell led a very interesting life. If you ever get a chance to read his biography, it would be a worthwhile read. Here are a couple highlights:

On June 26, 1931, Powell married actress Carole Lombard. The marriage lasted just over two years. They were divorced in 1933, though they, too, remained on good terms, even starring together in the screwball comedy My Man Godfrey three years later. Powell was devastated by her death in an airplane crash in 1942.[4] He was engaged to marry Jean Harlow, his co-star in Reckless (1935), until her sudden death in 1937.[5][6] On January 6, 1940, three weeks after they met, Powell married his third wife, actress Diana Lewis, to whom he remained married until his death in 1984.

In 1937, Powell was diagnosed with cancer. He underwent surgery and experimental radium treatment which put the disease in full remission within two years. Given his own health and sorrow over Jean Harlow's death, Powell did not undertake any film roles for over a year during this period.

ETA: Just found this documentary on Youtube. ( Ignore the Spanish subtitles)

Thanks. I visit the Wikipedia site often to view details I knew and forgot or never knew.
Carole Lombard, was a beautiful person inside and out. An excellent comedic actress.
The Youtube series what happened to ---has a lot with Spanish sub titles thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom