OT: CIAC increasing State Championships... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: CIAC increasing State Championships...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pal,
They moved the games from the Rent. Way too expensive to operate for crowds of 2-3000. Plus it has natural grass so is not great for multiple games. They moved the games to Central Connecticut's Stadium which is A. Less costly to operate. B. has artificial turf, C. Is still a college facility. Is much more appropriately sized for the crowds.

Correct. This goes back to the CIAC and making $$$. The Rent was too expensive. They will not be going back.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
That is all true but CCSU is still small of a venue when you have schools like Xavier, Greenwich and others who have large followings. While The Rent is expensive it also gave players a chance to play where the state university plays.

It was never 2000 fans either.

Reaction Score
Arute Stadium is really perfect for the state high school championships. Capacity is around 5500 which is just about right. Its a college facility and a solid one. The highest attendance in 2012 was the Class LL game which included Xavier(I discounted 2013 because of weather and games moving hither and yon) was 4576. The total attendance at the Saturday games when 3 games were played was 5189(S, M and L). It was well under 2000 for the Class S game and right around 2000 for the M game. A little over for Hand-Windsor. I suspect the kids would play in the median strip on I-91 if they had to. Its parents and some coaches who get their kicks playing at Rentschler.

Reaction Score
Arute Stadium is really perfect for the state high school championships. Capacity is around 5500 which is just about right. Its a college facility and a solid one. The highest attendance in 2012 was the Class LL game which included Xavier(I discounted 2013 because of weather and games moving hither and yon) was 4576. The total attendance at the Saturday games when 3 games were played was 5189(S, M and L). It was well under 2000 for the Class S game and right around 2000 for the M game. A little over for Hand-Windsor. I suspect the kids would play in the median strip on I-91 if they had to. Its parents and some coaches who get their kicks playing at Rentschler.

Kids get their kicks in, too. I remember being jacked my freshman year in HS playing the state championship soccer game at the Connecticut Soccer Stadium in Storrs in 1988 not too longer after UConn won the national title. Though a hike to get to from where I lived, it had history and was way cooler than playing in Berlin or Farmington (nothing against their fields) and a lot less painful playing at West Haven of SCSU on the old astro turf (one had to really think about committing to a slide tackle on that surface knowing the end result) fields.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Kids get their kicks in, too. I remember being jacked my freshman year in HS playing the state championship soccer game at the Connecticut Soccer Stadium in Storrs in 1988 not too longer after UConn won the national title. Though a hike to get to from where I lived, it had history and was way cooler than playing in Berlin or Farmington (nothing against their fields) and a lot less painful playing at West Haven of SCSU on the old astro turf (one had to really think about committing to a slide tackle on that surface knowing the end result) fields.

Hell I loved going to track meets at the Field House... it is the only indoor track meet I've ever attended that had a rain delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom