OT - Chris Mullins gets a big write-up in Rolling Stone | The Boneyard

OT - Chris Mullins gets a big write-up in Rolling Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/can-chris-mullin-save-st-johns-basketball-20150610

This is why a big name head coach makes a difference sometimes (and I guess we'll wait and see if it translates into landing recruits). When you get written up in Rolling Stone, you get more visibility than your normal head coach. BTW, I think KO has similar visibility -- plus, his NBA career story resonates more for kids being recruited right now. (and yes, I know I spelled Mullin's name wrong in the title...)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/can-chris-mullin-save-st-johns-basketball-20150610

This is why a big name head coach makes a difference sometimes (and I guess we'll wait and see if it translates into landing recruits). When you get written up in Rolling Stone, you get more visibility than your normal head coach. BTW, I think KO has similar visibility -- plus, his NBA career story resonates more for kids being recruited right now. (and yes, I know I spelled Mullin's name wrong in the title...)

I hope Rolling Stone resonates with today's youth. I don't know anyone who finds that magazine the least bit relevant today.

Reaction Score
I've never seen a Rolling Stone magazine read or sold in the hood. Just sayin. . . . . . . .

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Media buzz is media buzz, folks. You could have the opposite problem and have no one talking about you at all...

Reaction Score

Like Chris M and hope he does great things, good guy great player. But if he doesn't win and win fast this fad will fade into oblivion as fast as the Johnnies did after the early 90's.

Reaction Score
Media buzz is media buzz, folks. You could have the opposite problem and have no one talking about you at all...

I really think that being in a 1 page ad in Slam magazine is probably better for recruiting at St. Johns than being the cover story of rolling stone

Reaction Score
I completely forgot that Rolling Stone even existed...

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
I really think that being in a 1 page ad in Slam magazine is probably better for recruiting at St. Johns than being the cover story of rolling stone

No doubt, but again, any positive media is better than no positive media...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Who's Chris "Mullins" and what does Rolling Stone have to do with men's college basketball?

I'd argue that if you get written up in Rolling Stone you get exactly the same visibility than your normal head coach. In fact maybe a little less, because your normal head coach it looking to be written up in periodicals relevant to their profession.

Warrick Dunn should have never been on the cover of Cat Fancy. It almost ruined his career.

Reaction Score
It could just be that someone at the publication knows Chris personally, and simply got the 'hook up'.

Like if a class mate worked for baking mag and wanted to do a harmless article on us.

Reaction Score
mullins could easily end up a flop at st johns. hes never been a coach and barely has any FO experience in the league. he was also a star player, i'm not sure star players make good coaches. its rare

Reaction Score
mullins could easily end up a flop at st johns. hes never been a coach and barely has any FO experience in the league. he was also a star player, i'm not sure star players make good coaches. its rare
The one thing known about Chris is that he is a tireless worker (NBA trait) and if he can pass that one trait on to his players he will have a shot.

That was Ollie's first calling card, saying that we won't be outworked ("stairs not escalators"). It helps in having knowledgeable assistants around you like Ollie inherited with Miller and Hobbs.

Just saying that getting players to play very hard the full game is a good place to start, and I don't see Mullins accepting marginal effort. If getting players alone to reach their maximum effort that is success especially if applied off the court (think classes).

Anyway his work dedication is legendary, those players better be scared because pain is coming.

Reaction Score
RollingStone2-articleLarge.jpg

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
mauconnfan said:
No but there was a mention of tcf's career 3 pt video of Rashard Andersen

And Neil Griffey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online