OT: Chinese Take Out | The Boneyard

OT: Chinese Take Out

Reaction Score
The pizza thread got me thinking that we needed a Chinese Take Out thread as well.

Wang Palace on Glastonbury is consistently excellent. Lee Po in Bristol is pretty good as well. I travel all over the state on business ( I deal in antiques and collectables) so please chime in if you have any real good recommendations.

One out of state place that absolutely kills it is Lin's Garden on route 9 in Brookfield, MA. Just flat out awesome, best Chinese I have had this side of San Francisco.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
China Pan near the WestFarms mall is my favorite. Black Bamboo is ok. Ming Palace on the Turnpike and Ming Dynasty in Rocky Hill are pretty good too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What constitutes good for you guys? For me, it is really only 3 factors at most:

1. The chicken and beef taste and feel “real”. Nothing rubbery, processed, injected with solution and so on. If I can order General Tsao’s chicken, Chicken and Broccoli or chicken fingers and bite into it to find nothing but tender, white meat in which you can actually see the fibers of the meat, I’m over the moon. Otherwise, it is frozen, Mcnugget meat from some dirty factory.

2. The fried rice needs to have a stronger flavor. It should be slightly darker than what you get at an average Chinese place with firmer rice.

3. All vegetables should have a little crispness to them.

If a place meets those standards, everything on the menu is usually excellent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Moon Star in Brookfield is the best I've ever had in Connecticut.

Reaction Score
2. The fried rice needs to have a stronger flavor. It should be slightly darker than what you get at an average Chinese place with former rice.

this is a big one. if the fried rice isn't almost brown then I know I'm not going to like it. too often it's yellow-ish. I also like it to be simple; just your protein, onions & chives. egg can be hit or miss.

Last edited:

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
China Pavilion - post road , Orange. It's also a bar and the games always on there. Great food.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Crawfish Asian in Reno, NV. I only remember eating Chinese in Connecticut one time at a place in Manchester in 1991. I can't be much help with takeout the nutmeg state.

Reaction Score
What constitutes good for you guys? For me, it is really only 3 factors at most:

1. The chicken and beef taste and feel “real”. Nothing rubbery, processed, injected with solution and so on. If I can order General Tsao’s chicken, Chicken and Broccoli or chicken fingers and bite into it to find nothing but tender, white meat in which you can actually see the fibers of the meat, I’m over the moon. Otherwise, it is frozen, Mcnugget meat from some dirty factory.

2. The fried rice needs to have a stronger flavor. It should be slightly darker than what you get at an average Chinese place with former rice.

3. All vegetables should have a little crispness to them.

If a place meets those standards, everything on the menu is usually excellent.
Little Kitchen on Post Road Westport meets all these standards and then some. Good bar too.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Mods edit the thread to say "American Chinese food"

Because that ain't Chinese food actually.

( Signed former mott street resident in between Canal and Houston)

But to contribute to thread.

" Boneless ribs"

Is my template for the skill of an American style Chinese place.

Reaction Score

" Boneless ribs"

My template is that if they have more than 4 tables and carry anything other than plastic utensils and chop sticks, it's not going to be good. If you walk in and there's no one sitting down to eat but a line out the door for takeout, it's probably a safe bet.

Reaction Score

" Boneless ribs"

Did you realy live on Mott Street? Hats off. Wo Hop says hello.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
My template is that if they have more than 4 tables and carry anything other than plastic utensils and chop sticks, it's not going to be good. If you walk in and there's no one sitting down to eat but a line out the door for takeout, it's probably a safe bet.

Disagree.
I mean it probably works, but there are some decent places that are 1-2 table strip mall holes in the wall.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Great Taste in hard hittin New Britain.
I’m in Berlin so I probably do Great Taste more often than not... I don’t quite get what’s so great though. To me it’s good taste.

Reaction Score
Disagree.
I mean it probably works, but there are some decent places that are 1-2 table strip mall holes in the wall.
My place is that exactly but in the 18 years I've been going there I've never once actually seen someone sitting at the tables lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom