OT - Chemo or Radiation? | The Boneyard

OT - Chemo or Radiation?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
whats the difference? which do you prefer? Do you know of anyone that done both (at different times of course)?

Reaction Score
whats the difference? which do you prefer? Do you know of anyone that done both (at different times of course)?
I elected Radiation for my Prostate cancer originally, it is back and i'm now on chemo which is a chemical that slows down the cancer or kills it. Radiation can only be used once in my case but there are several chemical options - with increasingly severe side affects.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
My uncle had both. The chemo came in little tablets which he had to take at specific intervals each day. Radiation was just that. They put you on a table and dose you, or in some instances surgically place radioactive seeds near the growth.

Reaction Score
I did know someone who had chemo & radiation during a 20 year fight against breast cancer. Of the two (obviously she would have preferred not to have to do either) she preferred radiation because it was quicker- 10-15 seconds and the treatment was over, as opposed to being hooked up to an IV for 90+ minutes.

Reaction Score
For colon/rectal cancer, both are used. Six week regimen then a 6 week delay before surgery. Six weeks after surgery the process is repeated. Worked for my wife. She's doing fine 10 years later.
Procedure was developed in Norway with much better than what was used in the US.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Each condition is unique, and the treatment is tailored to your circumstance. My wife was near death 20 years ago, and she had many rounds of chemo, and then growth hormone shots. Her ailment was a type of leukemia, and radiation would not have done her any good. She was incredibly strong throughout her year long ordeal. Her will to live was a key component, and her wish to watch the kids grow. She and her oncologist were on the same wavelength, and that helped her get through many chemicals and surgeries. I am grateful for her will , and her doctor's aggressive approach. Whoever is facing this, whatever it is, good luck to them.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I had both for breast cancer in 2006. I wouldn't wish chemo on my worst enemy. I'm still here but with chemo brain and it's resulting memory issues. Also a permanent tremor in my left hand.

OTOH, the cataracts I developed because of chemo resulted in surgery and transformed me from severely myopic to wearing just readers for close up.

Reaction Score
My Dad had both for Lung Cancer. Radiation first couple times a week for 3 or 4 weeks, then iv chemo. He was switched to a chemo pill later. He was initially given 6 months, lived for 18months.

Reaction Score
Simple answer Neither. If you don't need them don't do them.
I have suffered the after-effects, and they are disgusting (PM if you want to know) of radiation. for 9 years and the day I die they will be with me. If given the same choice again I'd say no. Hindsight is excellent too bad it always has to be hindsight. YEt everyone is different.

Reaction Score
One thing about radiation: it damages the tissue in the targeted area. That may mean that if it doesn't work, there can't be subsequent surgery because the cut tissue can't heal properly.

@Bigboote--Right again!! -I suggest it damages the tissue it goes through and any surrounding area.
It too depends on the ability of the equipment to sharpen the beam and depth, but the damage is often bad and causes other cancers. No matter how you look at it of the 3 choices life is best.

Reaction Score
My uncle had both. The chemo came in little tablets which he had to take at specific intervals each day. Radiation was just that. They put you on a table and dose you, or in some instances surgically place radioactive seeds near the growth.
Or no seed (gold) and only a BB for locating the area. Some times spurious radiation from improperly maintained Xrays cause other problems.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Both are strong and generally have negative side effects. Some of the side effects are very debilitating.

I had brachytherapy for prostate cancer that worked quite well. Feel free to PM me. I hope you don't need any cancer treatment!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Both are strong and generally have negative side effects. Some of the side effects are very debilitating.

I had brachytherapy for prostate cancer that worked quite well. Feel free to PM me. I hope you don't need any cancer treatment!
No I don't 3rdbass... thanks for asking and thank everyone for their responses

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
It depends totally on your type of cancer and what works best for that type. There are many chemo drugs with different actions and different side effects. Also many different radiation protocols.

35 years ago I got both CHOP chemo and relatively mild X-ray radiation for a fairly localized lymphoma. Definitely saved my life, and although the side effects were tough, there were hardly any aftereffects.

More recently I was given a much milder chemo for a different kind of lymphoma, not related to the original one. Very easy to tolerate.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Simple answer Neither. If you don't need them don't do them.
I have suffered the after-effects, and they are disgusting (PM if you want to know) of radiation. for 9 years and the day I die they will be with me. If given the same choice again I'd say no. Hindsight is excellent too bad it always has to be hindsight. YEt everyone is different.

Did NO chemo or radiation and beat stage IV metasticized prostate cancer 11+ years ago.- donportercancer
1962 grad. 7 yr old PBS show--

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m an oncology nurse at a major university hospital. It’s not a matter of preference; it’s a matter of which treatment is best for the type of cancer a patient has. The decision should be made by the patient and his/her oncologist. Side effects and risks/benefits will be part of the conversation.

Reaction Score
With cancer, you treat with surgery, radiation, or chemo, depending on the type of cancer and it's localization. My personal experience was with prostate cancer and it was treated with radiation and hormone therapy (for me, subjectively the hormone therapy side effects were the most distressing). It hasn't returned, but it's only been 18 months - cure is remission for more than five years.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I’m an oncology nurse at a major university hospital. It’s not a matter of preference; it’s a matter of which treatment is best for the type of cancer a patient has. The decision should be made by the patient and his/her oncologist. Side effects and risks/benefits will be part of the conversation.

What she said.
Find a competent, experienced team and think about all of your options.
In 2012, I was treated with a form of immunotherapy called BCG for bladder cancer. It was a six week process that came after surgical removal of the tumor. I remain hopeful that six years later I still have no evidence of disease. Some people with my type of bladder cancer choose bladder removal. My urologist and I looked at may particular tumor, its size and nature and made a decision. It was a personal decision based on my unique situation.
In 2016, I was diagnosed with stage four esophageal cancer. Had nine weeks of chemo that involved three different nasty chemicals – side effects required hospitalization after every installation. That was followed with seven weeks of daily radiation. Radiation started out as a stroll in the park. As time goes on the side-effects add up. It was pretty crappy at the end. As a result of my treatment, I am stuck with a trach for breathing and a feeding tube. I have not eaten or drank anything by mouth since May of 2016. While that is far from ideal, I remain with no evidence of disease 2.5 years later. Other than the hassle of the trach and not being able to enjoy the sensation of eating, I lead a normal life. Ideal? No. Happy to be alive and grateful it's worked so far? You betcha. I feel blessed every day I wake up and see my wife and son. At the beginning of my treatment, I had choices to make regarding whether to go straight to radiation or begin with chemo. As I reacted to the chemo, we had choices regarding maintaining the treatment, dialing it back or abandoning it. My oncologist and I made them together. BTW, we stayed full blast, regardless of the side effects.
Something to remember when making any decisions, is that you only get one best shot. Cancer is a nasty disease that, by its very nature, wants to live and grow. The decisions you make are important and life changing.
If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM.
I wish you all the best.

Reaction Score
You need to listen to the advice of your oncologist, if they give you equal chances with either option, then you have the difficult task of needing to choose your own poison.

In my case, I was given the menu of either surgery (with a six week recovery) or brachytherapy radiation and "back in the saddle" after four days. I decided on the radiation, and was back at work in two days, though I had significant reactions and pain starting about two weeks after the seeding and lasting for about six months.

My one bit of advice is that if you are lucky enough to be being treated at a Cancer Center, avail yourself of all the ancillary help they offer. I had free counseling, yoga, accupunture, meditation, massage and diet books. And God bless her, a wonderful Nurse Advocate who stuck with me through everything.

Best of luck in your journey. As you can see above, the cameraderie of survivors is a blessing and wonderful support as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
My brother-in-law has been battling renal cancer for several years. Depending on the type of cancer, radiation therapy has become a much more precise treatment. Whereas radiation used to zap both good cells and bad, a newer process allows for the cancerous cells to be mapped first and then zapped with high intensity, precision radiation, typically over 3 successive days.

The advantages of such treatment are minimal damage to healthy cells and you can be done in less than a week.

Reaction Score
I am an incubator for cancer ( genetically speaking) as both my parents and my younger brother died from various cancers. Only my younger sister escaped it! But she has other problems). I have had lung cancer twice,years apart, 2006 2009. No chemo or radiation,just luck. 2009 I had surgery for melanoma and skin cancer! Went home the same day, no pain and didn’t need meds. 6 inch scar and no pain at all. 2015 had Surgery at Yale Dermatology for skin cancer on my face. MOH surgery. The use novacaine, could hit my face with a brick, wooldnt feel it. Got there at 8am home at 5pm. O pain meds what so ever and was in agony and bleeding terribly on the way home.

Truthfully this surgery hit me the hardest because it is on my face so I see it every day remind me. Plus it left me a little disfigured which bothers me some.

Reaction Score
Choc, my friend, I don't know if you're inquiring for yourself or for someone else, but please allow me to help you out here:

1. Cancer is not one disease. It is actually a multitude of diseases that are lumped under one umbrella. Mainly for this reason, but for others as well, there exists no one-size-fits-all answer to your question. If a preferred alternative exists, it depends on the specific variety of cancer, cell-type, degree of aggressiveness, age of patient, and a host of other factors that must be carefully considered. This is why only the advice of a well-trained and experienced oncologist must be sought to obtain proper guidance.

2. We all love The Boneyard. But, with respect, this is not the appropriate forum for your question. A little knowledge, especially in this area, is a dangerous thing, and leads to anecdotal responses that very likely have no relevance to whatever specific condition we're talking about here. Save The Boneyard for our usual foolishness.

3. If you are, in fact, the patient under consideration, irrespective of the professionally recommended treatment plan selected. I advise daily convalescent visitation by Jasmine Lister to encourage your post-care recovery. Fortunately, I can write you a prescription for that!

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score

Chemo and radiation are an AMA and wholly owned subsidiary FDA are a national disgrace -- the Immune system is KEY ! Further damaging anyone's immune system is an AMA $$$ making disgrace ! Simply stop the chemicals in food and water, stress, exercise (walking) and go organic , filtered water, quality aloe, and special herbs ! I beat stage IV 11 years ago

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom