OT--Change the subject ---Do you a VPN, which one? | The Boneyard

OT--Change the subject ---Do you a VPN, which one?

Reaction Score
DO YOU USE A VPN ---THE THREAD TITLE SHOULD READ

The idea of a Virtual Private Network VPN appeals to me in many ways--I've done some minor research and
need advise on the right provider. Any help??

Reaction Score
I used to have a VPN. But then I took some penicillin and it went away.
That must have been a serious case-- where did you get it?? Did you like it. Who was the provider??
How much did it cost you??
I'd like to find a good one. We are talking about Virtual Private Networks, aren't we???

Reaction Score
There are several good, low cost VPN's. Just make sure they keep no records of your calls, as some do. I use PIA (Private Internet Access). Never had any problems in over 2 years. I never go on the web without it, and, I also use a sandbox (Sandboxie) for additional protection.

Reaction Score
There are several good, low cost VPN's. Just make sure they keep no records of your calls, as some do. I use PIA (Private Internet Access). Never had any problems in over 2 years. I never go on the web without it, and, I also use a sandbox (Sandboxie) for additional protection.
thanks---From all I'm reading in short order or immediately VPN will be the only way to use the internet.
If you don't mind I may dig deeper into your brain on VPN, but your PIA sound good.
I thank you for being considerate to answer thanks..

Reaction Score

May I ask: how much do you spend? I'm never sure what's a good price and what might be unnecessary. Do you pay yearly or monthly? Does it slow you down?

Reaction Score
DO YOU USE A VPN ---THE THREAD TITLE SHOULD READ

The idea of a Virtual Private Network VPN appeals to me in many ways--I've done some minor research and
need advise on the right provider. Any help??
I use expressvpn because at one time it was one of the few that could circumvent China's Great Firewall. It doesn't work as well at that task now as China keeps improving their "Great Wall", but I'm otherwise satisfied with it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here's the deal. Intel acknowledged a few weeks ago that they had a vulnerability built into their processors. A kernel that allowed a hacker access to your computer with which they could take control and do whatever they wanted. Conspiracy pundits otherwise, this security flaw makes anything that uses Intel devices, phones, computers (yes Mac's), tablets etc. vulnerable. AMD doesn't have this flaw in any of their kernels. Well, at least as we know so far. This has had to be dealt with in 2 phases. Microsoft made a patch and Intel just 2 weeks ago made a micro code patch for motherboard manufacturers in their bios update.

Now a patch is just that. They're bandages. These bandages now point hackers to the area they need to attack to access this kernel flaw. Microsoft and Intel are going to have to continue to place Band-Aid upon Band-Aid to delay these hackers access, and believe me that ain't easy. Microsoft already deals with an average of 50,000 new virus' a day. Also, don't think the next generation of Intel processors will deal with this flaw because the architecture of the new processors is set. Changing that would put Intel's release back 2 years. Or more.

This makes the use of a VPN a necessity. VPN's use a sort of shell game with servers on an international level to keep anyone from getting a bead on your computer. I use HideMyAss (HMA) and I pay 60 bucks for their yearly service. Astrill VPN is another good service, but they're more expensive. There are others. They are I think essential and everyone should get one now. Ignore at your peril.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I use cyberghost with great success. It is a free VPN provider. Prob a step behind top tier premium sites but I just want general privacy and it works well. I suppose if you are transmitting highly confidential info you might want to step it up but it works great for me.

Reaction Score
So I have downloaded and sometimes use a few different VPNs, but here's my question (and maybe it's because I use free ones that "show" my IP address as being outside the US): how do you folks using a VPN regularly keep your mail accounts, for example, from freezing your accounts until you send a code, say, to Microsoft when they detect an unusual sign in?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So I have downloaded and sometimes use a few different VPNs, but here's my question (and maybe it's because I use free ones that "show" my IP address as being outside the US): how do you folks using a VPN regularly keep your mail accounts, for example, from freezing your accounts until you send a code, say, to Microsoft when they detect an unusual sign in?
I've never had that issue using HMA. Perhaps some others may chime in.

Reaction Score

The easiest way to avoid that problem is to simply shut off any automatic email gathering service before using the VPN. This procedure could be applied to any service that recognizes your IP address as a measure of security. You could also contact the necessary providers (email or otherwise) and see if they could suggest an alternative solution.

Reaction Score
VPN's are great at hiding your truly identity and location. However, if you pay your Internet Provider for fast speed (100 Mbps for example), be prepared to lose it when using a VPN.

Reaction Score
I just signed up for Ipvanish at the beginning of the month for 62.39 for a year. I use it on my phones, tablets and computers, and don't even notice it.I use optimum hotspots a lot around town and connect at a lot of restaurants free wifi, so I feel a little safer.I came on this site with it turned off and was getting ads for tire ads because I was looking for new tires, After I turned it on the directed ads went away :) It also works on Fire tv so it might work on blocked games..( I don't really know) it you use a Fire...
You can pick connections all over the US and many countries.I tried a few different places and haven't noticed any lags.I just connected to Dallas and did a speedtest 88, turned it off and got 116. I pay for 100...

Somehow, I went to their website and looked at their pricing, and left the page and got a 20% discount... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In thinking about this more, I realize that the moment I pay for a VPN, I have lost the totally anonymous aspect of a stand-alone VPN. I will continue to use my free browser-only VPN (HotSpot on Chrome and/or Opera's built-in VPN) to surf the web. That way, I never need to have my mail access affected (and because I only use mail apps and do not access mail through a web app).

The downside, of course, is often an inability to legally stream sports (say, ESPN3) when my VPN connection shows an out-of-country IP address. If anyone can figure out how to use a free VPN connection to legally stream sports content that I actually pay for (through my cable company), however, I would be very interested.

Thanks for making me check all my systems again; a routine privacy check-up is always a good idea. For those of you who may be on the fence, here's a good article and easy instructions for non-tech-savvy folks (from last year): LINK

Reaction Score
After much research I recently began using Windscribe. It is free, simple to navigate, can be used on mobile devices as well as personal computers, and works well. I use it to be able to watch UCONN games in real time. Although ESPN is included in my cable alternative package (Play Station Vue), I live in a UCONN blackout zone which means that I have to wait until games are over before I can watch them on Watch ESPN/ESPN3. With Windscribe, I can change the location associated with my computer. There is a 10 gigabyte limit to how much one can stream a month, which is more than sufficient for my purposes. There is of course a pay option if you want more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom