OT: CFB Playoff | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: CFB Playoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pitt didn't beat Michigan. If you are arguing for a team over Clemson it would be Michigan. Michigan beat PSU by 39. Both have 2 losses. The conference championship is meaningless. both Michigan & Ohio State beat Wisky. PSU had a great season, I am interested in seeing them against USC.

Did you notice USC is -7 in the Rose? USC will hammer them, so tells you what the non-biased college people think.

Conference championships are only meaningless when you have unbalanced divisions.

Penn State is in the same division as Michigan and Ohio State.

Under the old system, PSU would be the one vying for the top ranking as they played on New Year's Day in the Rose Bowl. Ohio State and Michigan would be heading to the Citrus Bowl.

You keep harping on the 39 point loss, but then you make excuses for QBs being injured on other teams. If you're going to make those excuses, you have to apply the same standard elsewhere.

Hate to say it, but the Big12 Commissioner has an excellent point when it comes to the committee's criteria.

Reaction Score
Under the old system PSU would go to the Rose, which it is, and OSU would be playing for a National Champ against 'Bama, which is may ultimately.

PSU isn't impressive and certainly not 1 of the best 4 teams. The fact Vegas sees USC as a 7 point favorite is consistent with that. I don't necessarily think Clemson or Wash are 1 of the top 4 teams either, but I know PSU isn't either.

Where was the PSU QB hurt against Michigan? He played the whole game.

Conference championships are only meaningless when you have unbalanced divisions.

Penn State is in the same division as Michigan and Ohio State.

Under the old system, PSU would be the one vying for the top ranking as they played on New Year's Day in the Rose Bowl. Ohio State and Michigan would be heading to the Citrus Bowl.

You keep harping on the 39 point loss, but then you make excuses for QBs being injured on other teams. If you're going to make those excuses, you have to apply the same standard elsewhere.

Hate to say it, but the Big12 Commissioner has an excellent point when it comes to the committee's criteria.

Reaction Score
Because you think losing in double OT in Columbus to tOSU somehow means OSU is much better? Honestly, Michigan is the second best team to Bama but won't get in.

Michigan is the only one of these teams that might be able to beat Alabama, points would be very scarce.
Harbaugh?

Reaction Score
Part of me likes the idea of Petersen taking on Alabama with a month to prepare, but the rational side of me sees Jake Browning under a pile of red jerseys. Michigan's resume doesn't do much for me. I'd imagine we'll see a Clemson Alabama rematch, which - to me - is as it should be.
They got it right, Bama would most likely kick everyone's arses. Bama looked great all year but SEC was not the gauntlet it's been in years past.

Reaction Score
Under the old system PSU would go to the Rose, which it is, and OSU would be playing for a National Champ against 'Bama, which is may ultimately.

PSU isn't impressive and certainly not 1 of the best 4 teams. The fact Vegas sees USC as a 7 point favorite is consistent with that. I don't necessarily think Clemson or Wash are 1 of the top 4 teams either, but I know PSU isn't either.

Where was the PSU QB hurt against Michigan? He played the whole game.

I'm talking about the old system, not the last. The B1G champ got the big New Year's Day bowl game. Always.

I say PSU is impressive. And they are one of the 4 best.

I was referring to PSU's injuries. They had 7 linebackers down in the Michigan game. They were playing freshman walk-on safeties at LB.

Reaction Score
I think the Vegas guys are better evaluators than the committee, they see PSU as a 7 point underdog to USC, who isn't one of the top 4.

Michigan gave up 159 total yards to Wisky, 330 to OSU in 2OTs, 400 to MSU, 191 to PSU and 255 yards to Indiana

PSU gave up 500+ yards to Mich, 400+ to both OSU and Wisky, 340 to MSU and 450+ yards to Indiana

PSU's defense is not great, honestly, on a neutral field I'd pick Mich, OSU, Bama, USC, OU, Wash, FSU, Clemson and probably others over them.

I'm talking about the old system, not the last. The B1G champ got the big New Year's Day bowl game. Always.

I say PSU is impressive. And they are one of the 4 best.

I was referring to PSU's injuries. They had 7 linebackers down in the Michigan game. They were playing freshman walk-on safeties at LB.

Reaction Score
I think the Vegas guys are better evaluators than the committee, they see PSU as a 7 point underdog to USC, who isn't one of the top 4.

Michigan gave up 159 total yards to Wisky, 330 to OSU in 2OTs, 400 to MSU, 191 to PSU and 255 yards to Indiana

PSU gave up 500+ yards to Mich, 400+ to both OSU and Wisky, 340 to MSU and 450+ yards to Indiana

PSU's defense is not great, honestly, on a neutral field I'd pick Mich, OSU, Bama, USC, OU, Wash, FSU, Clemson and probably others over them.

We'll see when they play USC.

TOP in the Michigan PSU game was ridiculous--because of the injuries.
And yards mean little when you are holding teams to 14 points as in Michigan St.
But just in the last few weeks, PSU destroyed an Iowa team 45-14, that beat Michigan. Go talk to the Iowa fans about who they think is better. The vast majority say PSU.
I expect PSU to beat USC, a team that beat Washington.

Reaction Score
It will be fun to watch.

Interesting, in the old-old system PSU, Wash and Clemson would be screwed anyway. PSU would play Wash in Rose, Clemson against Mich in Orange and Bama-OSU in Sugar. The Sugar would be billed as the National Champ game. OSU would get votes if they could beat Bama and Bama of course stays #1 with win.

We'll see when they play USC.

TOP in the Michigan PSU game was ridiculous--because of the injuries.
And yards mean little when you are holding teams to 14 points as in Michigan St.
But just in the last few weeks, PSU destroyed an Iowa team 45-14, that beat Michigan. Go talk to the Iowa fans about who they think is better. The vast majority say PSU.
I expect PSU to beat USC, a team that beat Washington.

Reaction Score
Which top 10 team did Clemson beat? It's best win is FSU @ #11. UL wasn't a top ten team at the end which is all that matters. Or that is what the committee said was it's purpose. Look at the complete body of work, which could only be done last Sunday morning. Rankings before that or when they play don't matter. Those are incomplete opinions.

The other issue is that of losses and statistical efficiency (otherwise known as putting numbers to the eyeball test)

All that is a function of who you play, your conference which you have no control and your OOC which you do. UW is going to look better because they played 4 tomato cans. Clemson is going to look better because they played in the ACC where the second best team had 3 losses. They lost to Bama, nice try but no credit for losing.

OU played UH and OSU. UH turned out to be a's good as 4 loss UL but they lost that game and to OSU, so no credit. That's why the B12 wasn't discussed at all.

PSU lost to Pitt, who also beat Clemson and Michigan. PSU played three top 10 teams, the AAC champ Temple, and top 25 team Pitt going 3-2. Is that better than the four that made it? Anewer that and you will know if the committee got it right. I don't see how OSU makes it over their conference champion when the resumes are close and they lose the head to head match up.

I like the idea of the committee adding an extra loss for reams not in their conference's CCG. There should be a penalty for sitting at home.

FSU is #10 in the AP poll- I see they are #11 in the CFB rankings.

Who lost to Bama btw in your above statement?

I already showed you why Clemson is more deserving than both UW and Penn State.

UW only played 3 top 25 teams, going 2-1, and a horrible OOC. Clemson played 5 top 25 teams, going 4-1. Their OOC was @Auburn, 10-3 Troy and a rivalry game against 6-6 South Carolina. With the exception of Ohio State's win @Oklahoma, no other team in the country has as good an OOC win as @Auburn.

As for PSU, the Ohio State win was good, but is there any real difference between #8 Wisconsin and #11 Florida State? You can draw a line at #10 because it's easy, but I don't see much of a difference between the teams ranked 7-15.

PSU top 25 wins- wins against #3, #8, #24
Clem top 25 wins-#11, #13, #14, #22

Those are almost identical.

They both lost to Pitt, but PSU lost by 39 pts to Michigan. It's for that reason that Clemson has a better resume than PSU.

Reaction Score
They both lost to Pitt, but PSU lost by 39 pts to Michigan. It's for that reason that Clemson has a better resume than PSU.

I have no qualms with Clemson getting in over PSU.

That being said, you can't bash PSU for playing Michigan and losing by that much when Michigan is such a highly ranked team. The B1G was very good this year, a tough conference. It's also obvious that many people aren't aware of the ridiculous injury situation for that game, which was the worst I'd ever seen n college football. PSU's case this year is going to be interesting in the future when a 10-2 team wins the SEC Championship and gets left out of the 4 team playoff in favor of, say, an 11-1 Utah team that beat San Jose St., Southern Idaho and BYU.

Reaction Score
I have no qualms with Clemson getting in over PSU.

That being said, you can't bash PSU for playing Michigan and losing by that much when Michigan is such a highly ranked team. The B1G was very good this year, a tough conference. It's also obvious that many people aren't aware of the ridiculous injury situation for that game, which was the worst I'd ever seen n college football. PSU's case this year is going to be interesting in the future when a 10-2 team wins the SEC Championship and gets left out of the 4 team playoff in favor of, say, an 11-1 Utah team that beat San Jose St., Southern Idaho and BYU.

I know they were missing all of their LBs. I was pulling for PSU to get in- I was just defending Clemson, who I think is #3 at worst, but appropriately ranked at #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom